Why do so many woodworking youtubers use Blues/Bluegrass background music

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Out of curiosity, I have seen a pattern, especially in the USA, where many woodworkers use Blues/Bluegrass background music in the shots, where they are working wood.

E.g.

I have seen it in many more instances. Should it convey manliness? :)

Its non offensive and probably royalty free. If any video has some dance track backing it, I switch it off. Likewise, being a heavy rock fan, I wouldn't expect many people to suffer my tastes.

It's to show that they are good old boys etc etc.
What puts me off is when the music ends and a cheerful looking berk pops up and says something like "Hi there this is Pratt McGeek and welcome to my shaaaarp" :oops:
I would like to see someone saying : ... and welcome to the shop I hired just for making this video because my own shed shared with wheelbarrow, shovel, and rakes does not look that good.

the vids that annoy me are the ones with no explaination of what they are making and then at the end I find it is a gadget that is badly made, I'd never use and would cost half the cost of materials to buy ready made (admitedly pretty much any item that you can make yourself would be half the cost if you just went shopping). I also dislike the assumption that everybody has a full size tablesaw or two knocking about, just to the left or the bandsaw, sliding mitre, drill press, router table, spindle moulder and automated serviette folder, so a £10k outlay to make a planter (it bothers me less when they are making something high end at the end)

Music is surprisingly difficult for people that make videos. There are plenty of subscription and free royalty free music sites people can use, so access isn’t the issue - even YouTube itself has a pretty extensive offering of sound and music for creators.

The challenge is to get something that won’t offend people - or as few as possible.
Throwing over some hardcore dubstep on a box making video definitely isn’t going to help. I often want to put a bit of metal over a video and have to stop myself when I realise that my taste is in the minority.

Also a lot of people would say ‘well why use music at all?’ And that’s valid, but it can help cover up a myriad of audio mistakes made while recording when the only other option would be silence - and you get just as many complain about that as you do music unfortunately

Did anybody endure the first video to find out his problem was and what he actually made, if anything? I lost the will to live once he made it all the way to the coffee place.
@TheUnicorn Plus you have to use Baltic ply, non of your rubbish old voidy splintery stuff the rest of us use.

Thursday's gurn.

the vids that annoy me are the ones with no explaination of what they are making and then at the end I find it is a gadget that is badly made, I'd never use and would cost half the cost of materials to buy ready made (admitedly pretty much any item that you can make yourself would be half the cost if you just went shopping). I also dislike the assumption that everybody has a full size tablesaw or two knocking about, just to the left or the bandsaw, sliding mitre, drill press, router table, spindle moulder and automated serviette folder, so a £10k outlay to make a planter (it bothers me less when they are making something high end at the end)
And you forgot, that for a proper planter, you need to run the wood through Marunaka Supersurfacer, too.

I have a rule never to watch a video that contains the words ‘totally changed’, ‘won’t believe”, “don’t want you to know”, “perfect”, “game changing” and other similar combinations.

So I wasn’t able to check out the first two.

Perhaps the woodwork should be chosen to match the music.

Power saw and planer thicknesser prep of cutting list needs something quick reinforce the speed benefit of technology - flight of the bumblebee stuff

Hammer and chisel work needs slow deliberate percussive rhythm - thump thump thump

Trial fits and glue up needs "happy" music - patience and care, not speed, is of the essence

Applying finish wants to create a feeling of contentment - the sun going down on a warm summer evening, beer or cocktail in hand.

All finished with a rousing choral piece as the camera zooms out to allow the viewer to admire the finished piece.

Music is surprisingly difficult for people that make videos. There are plenty of subscription and free royalty free music sites people can use, so access isn’t the issue - even YouTube itself has a pretty extensive offering of sound and music for creators.

The challenge is to get something that won’t offend people - or as few as possible.
Throwing over some hardcore dubstep on a box making video definitely isn’t going to help. I often want to put a bit of metal over a video and have to stop myself when I realise that my taste is in the minority.

Also a lot of people would say ‘well why use music at all?’ And that’s valid, but it can help cover up a myriad of audio mistakes made while recording when the only other option would be silence - and you get just as many complain about that as you do music unfortunately
This, exactly Dean. And it’s what I don’t generally use music at all - it’s too divisive for the viewers, too distracting. I like how Scott Brown uses music - but then I generally like the music he uses. Mostly woodwork makes it’s own soundtrack, and I find the quieter stretches - glue-ups etc.. - are good for a voiceover, wether that’s a share/like/subscribe pitch or a reminder of the benefits of membership. 👍

I'd rather they just sang a little song of their own, and perhaps a tap dance to go along with it.

Plus you have to use Baltic ply, non of your rubbish old voidy splintery stuff the rest of us use.
Trouble is Noel, if you used ordinary voidy splintery ply the conversation would be all about the material not the work. And you use fancy Birch ply because a/ it looks good on video, and b/ because you have to spend your YouTube millions somehow, right? 🤷‍♂️👍

Trouble is Noel, if you used ordinary voidy splintery ply the conversation would be all about the material not the work. And you use fancy Birch ply because a/ it looks good on video, and b/ because you have to spend your YouTube millions somehow, right? 🤷‍♂️👍
No Voidy Splintery Plywood Basics then?, I suppose half the comments would be “why aren’t you using real ply” etc.
I’m glad you’ve finally admitted to being a millionaire….long suspected. : )

No Voidy Splintery Plywood Basics then?, I suppose half the comments would be “why aren’t you using real ply” etc.
I’m glad you’ve finally admitted to being a millionaire….long suspected. : )
Peter millionard 😆

To be fair , peter has it weighed off quite well, i like the overall presentation and no nonsense, balanced episodes.... plus, the time / length is important

I have a rule never to watch a video that contains the words ‘totally changed’, ‘won’t believe”, “don’t want you to know”, “perfect”, “game changing” and other similar combinations.

So I wasn’t able to check out the first two.
"Ultimate" is the one I will straight up ignore without any hesitation. Not sure why people use that word as there's always someone else who can do better, just has a narcissist feeling to it.

Music in a woodworking video I've never really got on with especially if it is used for a good majority of the video length, but I realise it's a subjective subject. Like those who insert movie or TV show clips to illustrate or accentuate a point... or worse trying to be funny.

I'm thinking of breaking the trend by having jazz fusion music in all my videos.

Back