Who is in and who is out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
doctor Bob":2m11m16b said:
if the lower / working class use their vote, leave will romp home. I have not had one delivery driver, fitter, worker, etc etc say he is in favour of staying, all are out. I think the turnout will be huge.

This is a class vote:
Middle management and the toffs, remain
lower class and workers, out

I have even been told by some city guys that the workers shouldn't be allowed to vote because they do not understand the implications. They do understand what a condescending cockwomble fucklewit is though.

I'm sure you would like to spin it as posh people and 'middle management' vs salt of the earth, good, honest, hard working folk but it isn't that simple. It's to do with class, age, location, background, prejudice, earnings etc etc etc. I know plenty people who are voting remain who are working class or 'lower' class and they're voting that way because they're young. I'm working class, have little to no money and one tenuous job interview on the horizon and I'm voting remain.

People have been praising this thread for managing to (just about) hold two opposing political opinions without spilling out in to the rest of the forum, but some people are trying their level best to start fights and generally fence people they don't agree with in to little condescending boxes.

doctor Bob":17lokzl4 said:
if the lower / working class use their vote, leave will romp home. I have not had one delivery driver, fitter, worker, etc etc say he is in favour of staying, all are out. I think the turnout will be huge.

This is a class vote:

I have even been told by some city guys that the workers shouldn't be allowed to vote because they do not understand the implications. They do understand what a condescending cockwomble fucklewit is though.

I'm sure you would like to spin it as posh people and 'middle management' vs salt of the earth, good, honest, hard working folk but it isn't that simple. It's to do with class, age, location, background, prejudice, earnings etc etc etc. I know plenty people who are voting remain who are working class or 'lower' class and they're voting that way because they're young. I'm working class, have little to no money and one tenuous job interview on the horizon and I'm voting remain.

People have been praising this thread for managing to (just about) hold two opposing political opinions without spilling out in to the rest of the forum, but some people are trying their level best to start fights and generally fence people they don't agree with in to little condescending boxes.

phil.p":17lokzl4 said:
It's no more or less an insult than your post ... sorry, quote ... and no, I haven't a clue what an iPhone is. Should I? Why?
I'm sure you know what an iPhone is. They've been around for about ten years. It's beside the point of the thread, but the whole "I'm no good with technology, I'll stick to a piece of chalk and an abacus" attitude doesn't give you any sort of special standing over anyone else. It's tired.

I'm sure you know what an iPhone is. They've been around for about ten years. It's beside the point of the thread, but the whole "I'm no good with technology, I'll stick to a piece of chalk and an abacus" attitude doesn't give you any sort of special standing over anyone else. It's tired.[/quote]

The only mobile phone I've ever used is a £15 Tesco pay as you go - I don't need anything more. Why would I know about anything else? By the bye. No, I don't claim any sort of special status, but why should you presume what other people do or don't know? I don't care one iota what you or anyone else thinks, really - but I do object to being called a liar.

A final thought before we all head out to cast our vote.

Democracy matters, because the voice of the ordinary person carries the same weight as the voice of the well-connected plutocrat - we all have one vote.

If more of us cast our vote for leave, it's not a vote to detach ourselves from Europe, it's a vote to say the EU does not meet our needs. It's also a vote to say to the EU that it needs to think more about the PEOPLE over whom it governs, and not just the wishes of the elites. The EU rarely listens to the general population, their concerns or ambitions - and it's high time it did.

Vote leave - it might, possibly, be a step towards an EU that acts more in the interests of ordinary people across Europe - because Democracy Matters.

RogerS":2hj1zu1h said:
This article in the Telegraph about how much the European Court of Justice interferes with our laws has got me thinking OUT again......aaargh!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... -our-laws/
Unrelated(ish), but all this "I don't want an unelected silly person deciding our laws" always makes me want to ask...ever voted for a Lord?

BearTricks":rhe64qki said:
doctor Bob":rhe64qki said:

This is a class vote:

Just my view point, I'm not trying to do anything........... am I a worker or middle management, your reading way to much into an opinion. Honestly mate my little post is not going to influence anyone so stop ******** yourself.

Wuffles":1g8hkv2x said:
RogerS":1g8hkv2x said:
This article in the Telegraph about how much the European Court of Justice interferes with our laws has got me thinking OUT again......aaargh!!!!

Unrelated(ish), but all this "I don't want an unelected silly person deciding our laws" always makes me want to ask...ever voted for a Lord?

The Lords don't decide laws - law is proposed by Ministers (drawn from elected MPs), then debated and voted on in the Commons, then subject to committee scrutiny by MPs, then debated and voted on a second time in the Commons. If passed, it then goes to the Lords, who can scrutinise and revise, and can return it to the Commons for amendment, but cannot throw it out.

Thus, the elected chamber has primacy. It is elected MPs who decide law, not unelected Lords.

The exception to the above is most EU law, which, since it has primacy over UK law, goes straight onto the Statute Book unscrutinised by Commons or Lords.

Well done Wiki, I know how it works.

The irony is lost on some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wuffles":ew5l7x0l said:

Ever voted for an EU law proposer?

The answer is no, because there is no democratic mechanism that allows it.

Edit to add - I make no apology for banging on about it, because for me it's possibly the most important argument in the whole debate. UK lawmakers are elected, and accountable through the ballot box, EU ones are appointed, and unaccountable. In the UK, the elected body (the Commons) has primacy, in the EU the appointed body (the Commission) has primacy.

I really believe that if the EU is to serve the PEOPLE it governs, the body having primacy must be the European Parliament, not the Commission. The only way I can see to put that point democratically in any way the EU will take the slightest notice of, is to vote Leave.

Cheshirechappie":2ksy3ufq said:
Wuffles":2ksy3ufq said:

Edit to add - I make no apology for banging on about it, because for me it's possibly the most important argument in the whole debate. UK lawmakers are elected, and accountable through the ballot box, EU ones are appointed, and unaccountable. In the UK, the elected body (the Commons) has primacy, in the EU the appointed body (the Commission) has primacy.

I really believe that if the EU is to serve the PEOPLE it governs, the body having primacy must be the European Parliament, not the Commission. The only way I can see to put that point democratically in any way the EU will take the slightest notice of, is to vote Leave.

Pop those blinkers off for a second, if Lords can reject a law being proposed, does that not by definition make them law makers. - does to my mind. Not to mention the unelected civil servants sitting in the wings.

I'm wasting my typing on you, I can tell. Best of luck in the vote tomorrow.

Wuffles":2zs0nlll said:
RogerS":2zs0nlll said:

At least the Upper House has a closer affinity with the UK then some nebulous croissant-munching, wine-drinking, self-serving, unelected, over-paid commissioner in the EU.

Lighten up :) (from b3ta.com)

7025adb590e6747d3c8a8117c01bfc99.jpg

Wuffles":2hvb70v7 said:
Cheshirechappie":2hvb70v7 said:
Wuffles":2hvb70v7 said:

Pop those blinkers off for a second, .....

Pot.

Kettle.

doctor Bob":1smvzjiv said:
BearTricks":1smvzjiv said:
doctor Bob":1smvzjiv said:

This is a class vote:

Just my view point, I'm not trying to do anything........... am I a worker or middle management, your reading way to much into an opinion. Honestly mate my little post is not going to influence anyone so stop ******** yourself.

I have to say, Ive found very similar feedback to Bob. I deal with delivery drivers, carpenters, builders and other trades, maintenance guys etc etc. They all say out. I cant say it is representative in any way.

Wuffles":1lltf8m9 said:
Cheshirechappie":1lltf8m9 said:
Wuffles":1lltf8m9 said:

Pop those blinkers off for a second, if Lords can reject a law being proposed, does that not by definition make them law makers. - does to my mind. Not to mention the unelected civil servants sitting in the wings.

Not true that the Lords can reject all bills. They can't reject bills relating to money, or those enacting government manifesto pledges. They can also be over-ridden by the Commons using the Parliament Act. The elected chamber thus has primacy.

This from Wikipedia;

Legislative functions[edit]

Further information: Act of Parliament

The House of Lords meets in a chamber in the Palace of Westminster.
Legislation, with the exception of money bills, may be introduced in either House.

The House of Lords debates legislation, and has power to amend or reject bills. However, the power of the Lords to reject a bill passed by the House of Commons is severely restricted by the Parliament Acts. Under those Acts, certain types of bills may be presented for the Royal Assent without the consent of the House of Lords (i.e. the Commons can override the Lords' veto). The House of Lords cannot delay a money bill (a bill that, in the view of the Speaker of the House of Commons, solely concerns national taxation or public funds) for more than one month.

Other public bills cannot be delayed by the House of Lords for more than two parliamentary sessions, or one calendar year. These provisions, however, only apply to public bills that originate in the House of Commons, and cannot have the effect of extending a parliamentary term beyond five years. A further restriction is a constitutional convention known as the Salisbury Convention, which means that the House of Lords does not oppose legislation promised in the Government's election manifesto.

By a custom that prevailed even before the Parliament Acts, the House of Lords is further restrained insofar as financial bills are concerned. The House of Lords may neither originate a bill concerning taxation or Supply (supply of treasury or exchequer funds), nor amend a bill so as to insert a taxation or Supply-related provision. (The House of Commons, however, often waives its privileges and allows the Upper House to make amendments with financial implications.) Moreover, the Upper House may not amend any Supply Bill. The House of Lords formerly maintained the absolute power to reject a bill relating to revenue or Supply, but this power was curtailed by the Parliament Acts, as aforementioned.

Edit to add - I was wrong to say that only the Commons could propose law. The Lords can too. However, any law proposed in either Lords or Commons must receive the assent of both Houses if it is to become Statute.

Cheshirechappie":24bpxy0c said:
Wuffles":24bpxy0c said:
Cheshirechappie":24bpxy0c said:

Not true that the Lords can reject all bills. They can't reject bills relating to money, or those enacting government manifesto pledges. They can also be over-ridden by the Commons using the Parliament Act. The elected chamber thus has primacy.

This from Wikipedia;

Legislative functions[edit]

Further information: Act of Parliament

The House of Lords meets in a chamber in the Palace of Westminster.
Legislation, with the exception of money bills, may be introduced in either House.

The House of Lords debates legislation, and has power to amend or reject bills. However, the power of the Lords to reject a bill passed by the House of Commons is severely restricted by the Parliament Acts. Under those Acts, certain types of bills may be presented for the Royal Assent without the consent of the House of Lords (i.e. the Commons can override the Lords' veto). The House of Lords cannot delay a money bill (a bill that, in the view of the Speaker of the House of Commons, solely concerns national taxation or public funds) for more than one month.

Other public bills cannot be delayed by the House of Lords for more than two parliamentary sessions, or one calendar year. These provisions, however, only apply to public bills that originate in the House of Commons, and cannot have the effect of extending a parliamentary term beyond five years. A further restriction is a constitutional convention known as the Salisbury Convention, which means that the House of Lords does not oppose legislation promised in the Government's election manifesto.

By a custom that prevailed even before the Parliament Acts, the House of Lords is further restrained insofar as financial bills are concerned. The House of Lords may neither originate a bill concerning taxation or Supply (supply of treasury or exchequer funds), nor amend a bill so as to insert a taxation or Supply-related provision. (The House of Commons, however, often waives its privileges and allows the Upper House to make amendments with financial implications.) Moreover, the Upper House may not amend any Supply Bill. The House of Lords formerly maintained the absolute power to reject a bill relating to revenue or Supply, but this power was curtailed by the Parliament Acts, as aforementioned.

Edit to add - I was wrong to say that only the Commons could propose law. The Lords can too. However, any law proposed in either Lords or Commons must receive the assent of both Houses if it is to become Statute.
GUTTED.

If only you'd c̶o̶p̶i̶e̶d̶ &̶ p̶a̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ posted this information earlier. I've just this minute come back from the polling station up the road and voted to remain. Oh well, never mind.

Interesting thought....the EU commission is viewed as a predominantly socialist ion its outlook.

Looking at the views expressed in this thread, that seems to be mirrored.

As good as any reason to vote OUT, I guess.

Some people need to get out more............... the odd person must have put a few days work into some of their posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back