Who do you follow on YouTube?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew, when I started reading this thread, that at some point D_W would chime in to criticize Paul Sellers, I am still gobsmacked that he'd call him arrogant, though.
As for "mystical", who's the one who talks about unicorns?

I knew, when I started reading this thread, that at some point D_W would chime in to criticize Paul Sellers, I am still gobsmacked that he'd call him arrogant, though.
As for "mystical", who's the one who talks about unicorns?

Sellers is a fool who intentionally ignores giving his students better advice because it might conflict with something he said. I am direct about the things I do well. If you can show a way that works better, I will abandon what I'm doing immediately.

That is what all of us owe to each other if we're giving advice, even when pay isn't involved. At least I think we should hold ourselves to that standard.

but to say he's a fool assumes that he wants experienced workers to have some regard for him, and it's my opinion that maintaining credibility among actual makers either isn't on his list or is VERY low. And if the intention is to get a net and keep finish in it, maybe he's not that big of a fool.

He manages to get people to carry water for him, too, but so do a lot of politicians.

Sellers is a fool who intentionally ignores giving his students better advice because it might conflict with something he said. I am direct about the things I do well. If you can show a way that works better, I will abandon what I'm doing immediately.

That is what all of us owe to each other if we're giving advice, even when pay isn't involved. At least I think we should hold ourselves to that standard.

but to say he's a fool assumes that he wants experienced workers to have some regard for him, and it's my opinion that maintaining credibility among actual makers either isn't on his list or is VERY low. And if the intention is to get a net and keep finish in it, maybe he's not that big of a fool.

He manages to get people to carry water for him, too, but so do a lot of politicians.
I guess he must have disagreed with you on some point.

I guess he must have disagreed with you on some point.

I've never talked to him and I don't think he would have any idea who I am. By his work, I wouldn't know who he is either, but like a hoarder who has people tip them off to junk all the time, I do get a fair number of messages "I know you think the guy is an silly person and I'm not trying to wind you up, but you should see his latest blog post".

I have also seen people refer to him or rob cosman as "the pinnacle" or something of that sort. I don't mind rob so much because I have sort of hassled him over things that have to do with controlling tearout or the cost of china diamond hones, etc, and he always responds matter of fact. I have to respect that.

You will have to add my name to the list of those who have a love-hate view of Sellers. He is good at demonstrating simple basic technique, but his whole philosophical approach, aimed at portraying himself as a guru, is hypocritical. He is a very business-minded individual, demagog to be sure, but unable to accept the mildest advice or challenge (he will delete your comments from his blog). And even more long-winded than David! ( just kidding, David … :) ).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Surprised that Sellers arouses such strong feelings.
He seems to be an utterly harmless old chap giving out useful advice and burbling about life and the universe.
Haven't even noticed him being critical of other people, whereas D_W does little else!
Sellers seems to get up the noses of would-be-gurus. Keep up the good work and happy Christmas Paul!

Last edited:
You will have to add my name to the list of those who have a love-hate view of Sellers. He is good at demonstrating simple basic technique, but his whole philosophical approach, aimed at portraying himself as a guru, is hypocritical. He is a very business-minded individual, demagog to be sure, but unable to accept the mildest advice or challenge (he will delete your comments from his blog). And even more long-winded than David! ( just kidding, David … :) ).

Regards from Perth

Derek
I wasn't planning on keeping a list, but thanks for the thought.

I'm reminded of the sellers idiocy on another forum - someone figured they need a thicker iron (I doubt sellers advocates that) and then pointed to a recent sellers video or blog on heat treating in open space with one torch and who knows what - some kind of vegetable oil? the comment was that he "demystifies things and what he says makes a lot of sense".

Except it doesn't. What he described looks good as a marketing piece to get people to go to his website, but at this point, that's not unintentional. that is, the stupidity of showing people something that will generally not work leaving them to waste money and fail. the picture showing the finished process had a big rounded over bevel just like every text published when it matters advised against.

I couldn't manage to tolerate the whole thing so I didn't catch the woo nonsense that he usually peddles or the whole "something for nothing" gimmick ("save your money, but here's a link to my site!").

there aren't many people I'd like to embarrass in person, but I'd do it to him.
All I can say, then, is that your last remark in this post seems a trifle over the top.

The problem with Sellers is that it seems like he likes being a "guru" so much that he gives out really bad advice about things that he really doesn't know that much about, instead of giving an honest answer or recommending that you look to someone else. Seeing him working with an axe and knife is painful (and his bad technique will make people think that they can't use these tools with precision) compared with someone like Peter Follansbee, Julia Kalthoff or Jögge Sundqvist. He also makes really ugly spoons with a complicated method.

That is why I have a problem with him. If he would just show a little humility and say something like; "I don't know much about this, look to X Y Z for advice on that topic." or "This is the way I cut dovetails, there is a another tradition that does it pins first, but this is how I have learned to do it". Then I would have a lot more respect for him.

In general, I do not understand why you would like to learn from someone whos work isn't inspiring. Peter Follansbee's work is inspiring, both method wise and the quality of the finished pieces. Jögge Sundqvist as well. Peter Follansbee makes very instructive videos, Jögge Sundqvist I know is a generous and inspiring teacher in person as well as a very skilled craftsman. Rob Cosman and Peter Sellers does not make any pieces that inspire me. Same thing with Rex Krueger (even though he seems like a decent enough fellow) and most other youtubers.

In general, I do not understand why you would like to learn from someone whos work isn't inspiring.,,,,
As a beginner you might actually learn something from Sellers in spite of the dullness of his work.
He's practical and methodical - inspiration comes later, in fact probably better to avoid being inspired too soon!
I don't think you'd learn a lot from either of our prima donnas in this thread; Derek; immaculate stuff but out on a limb of his own, D_W because he doesn't seem to make anything or ever say anything useful or interesting.
Funny old world!

Last edited:
The problem with Sellers is that it seems like he likes being a "guru" so much that he gives out really bad advice about things that he really doesn't know that much about, instead of giving an honest answer or recommending that you look to someone else. Seeing him working with an axe and knife is painful (and his bad technique will make people think that they can't use these tools with precision) compared with someone like Peter Follansbee, Julia Kalthoff or Jögge Sundqvist. He also makes really ugly spoons with a complicated method.

That is why I have a problem with him. If he would just show a little humility and say something like; "I don't know much about this, look to X Y Z for advice on that topic." or "This is the way I cut dovetails, there is a another tradition that does it pins first, but this is how I have learned to do it". Then I would have a lot more respect for him.

In general, I do not understand why you would like to learn from someone whos work isn't inspiring. Peter Follansbee's work is inspiring, both method wise and the quality of the finished pieces. Jögge Sundqvist as well. Peter Follansbee makes very instructive videos, Jögge Sundqvist I know is a generous and inspiring teacher in person as well as a very skilled craftsman. Rob Cosman and Peter Sellers does not make any pieces that inspire me. Same thing with Rex Krueger (even though he seems like a decent enough fellow) and most other youtubers.
Maybe one man's "inspiring" is another man's "daunting".
I'm not a fanatic about any of these YouTube chaps, but I find it weird how vitriolic some people get(talking about you here, D_W).
I also recognise that most of them need to make a few quid out of posting stuff on YouTube. Whether that's via selling expensive carp, courses, donations or sponsorship.

Maybe one man's "inspiring" is another man's "daunting".
I'm not a fanatic about any of these YouTube chaps, but I find it weird how vitriolic some people get(talking about you here, D_W).
I also recognise that most of them need to make a few quid out of posting stuff on YouTube. Whether that's via selling expensive carp, courses, donations or sponsorship.
There is no correlation between inspiring and good design and complexity in construction or how much skill it takes to carry out the work. Things can be simple and beautiful. Rococo furniture might take a lot to skill to make by hand, but I am not inspired by it. Neither am I by the work of people such as Cosman or Sellers, because I do not want to make things that look like the things they are making. When there are people to learn from that makes things you appreciate, why not learn from them?

As a beginner you might actually learn something from Sellers in spite of the dullness of his work.
He's practical and methodical - inspiration comes later, in fact probably better to avoid being inspired too soon!
I don't think you'd learn a lot from either of our prima donnas in this thread; Derek; immaculate stuff but out on a limb of his own, D_W because he doesn't seem to make anything or ever say anything useful or interesting.
Funny old world!
Yes, you can probably learn something from him. And If I were looking up how to make a specific joint or somesuch and chance up on one of his videos I might look at it before doing the real learning in the workshop. But his hatchet job with hatches makes me wonder about some of the other things as well.

And even more long-winded than David! ( just kidding, David … :) )

That truth doesn't bother me too much. Not that I carry it as a badge of honor, it just happens. Just like getting offended at seeing what I believe to be someone misleading others out of either being inconsiderate or for their own gain. Not sure why that bothers me as much as it does...maybe I'm a maker's karen.

Latest posts

Back