Buying a workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some of my school benches for sale, these were all made by me and have been used in my workshop. All with 40mm thick beech work tops with a deeper front apron and vice end, they are also re-enforced with stretcher rails front, back a going across the underneath of the workshop. They have softwood heavy under frames and MDF panels on all faces for rigidity and extra weight, carpenters front vices and tale vices with two rows of 19mm dog holes. I have designed them with a back tool well, flush front frame and 25mm vertical leg dog holes

£650 for the blue and black vice version 1980x800x890h overall sizes, these do have wear and tear from general use but after a sand down and re-oil would last for a years. Some are already sold to past students.

I also have one newer at £950 with green Veritas vices 1860x 830x890h overall sizes including vices, this one has only been used for storage and demonstrating, a couple of dents on the top but nothing major.

I think they would be best picked up and taken home assembled but any buyer could take them apart and rebuild at home.

@Gandalfs Staff View attachment 161079View attachment 161080View attachment 161081View attachment 161082View attachment 161083View attachment 161084let me know if you are interested.

Cheers

Peter
Bargain!

I have some of my school benches for sale, these were all made by me and have been used in my workshop. All with 40mm thick beech work tops with a deeper front apron and vice end, they are also re-enforced with stretcher rails front, back a going across the underneath of the workshop. They have softwood heavy under frames and MDF panels on all faces for rigidity and extra weight, carpenters front vices and tale vices with two rows of 19mm dog holes. I have designed them with a back tool well, flush front frame and 25mm vertical leg dog holes

£650 for the blue and black vice version 1980x800x890h overall sizes, these do have wear and tear from general use but after a sand down and re-oil would last for a years. Some are already sold to past students.

I also have one newer at £950 with green Veritas vices 1860x 830x890h overall sizes including vices, this one has only been used for storage and demonstrating, a couple of dents on the top but nothing major.

I think they would be best picked up and taken home assembled but any buyer could take them apart and rebuild at home.

@Gandalfs Staff View attachment 161079View attachment 161080View attachment 161081View attachment 161082View attachment 161083View attachment 161084let me know if you are interested.

Cheers

Peter
Peter - they look awesome and would fit the bill. Where are you based? I'd probably prefer the Veritas one but the doorway to my garage is 805mm so it likely wouldn't fit unless it can be disassembled? Be happy to move the conversaton to PM if easier. Thanks for posting.

I'd try and make space for a longer bench if possible, (I see that's a non issue)
as it's not fun have to scoot timber what's longer than the bench, i.e door stiles or bed frames, or
indeed bench laminations etc... every little helps is an understatement to me.
should that length of work be envisioned.

I'd consider Peter's longer bench if it were me.
I'm sure Peter wouldn't begrudge you some matching offcuts :)
for what could make a very worthy first use of such a bench with a tool well.

All the best

Screenshot-2023-6-17 Sliding Workbench Light Workbench Build - YouTube.png

Cheers

Peter
Looks a much better deal than the commercial offerings. Sturdy, nice and simple.
I'm just doing a new bench for myself. Won't be quite the same but I'll lift the idea of flush apron/legs plus peg holes.

Last edited:
I'm a huge proponent of a bench and an assembly table. without both work is almost impossible. fortunately an assembly table needs to be flat this is important when assembling and gluing. I'd also suggest a tail vice is a bit redundant mostly. I'd prefer 2 front vices tbh set a bit apart.

I'm a huge proponent of a bench and an assembly table. without both work is almost impossible. fortunately an assembly table needs to be flat this is important when assembling and gluing. I'd also suggest a tail vice is a bit redundant mostly. I'd prefer 2 front vices tbh set a bit apart.
I have got a bench with two front vices and an assembly table on wheels ,i would not be without either of them.
Clive.

Back