Workbench Advice - Slight Return

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloc75

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening,

I've been dragged away from my workshop projects for a while due to day job commitments and other things - you know how it goes.
Anyway, I've been thinking recently about revisiting my plans to build a simple workbench, but one which I can add to in the future.

Where I live my garage is not massive, but space for a 2m wide bench. In around 5 years the plan is to move to a bigger place, where space won't be an issue - but that's a long way away yet.

For now, I just need a bench where I can do general woodworking projects, I also refurbish guitars, so I would be using it for that too. I also want drawers for storage, like screws and bits etc....
Initially I wanted to have it all purpose bench with integrated power tools, but realistically I don't think I am ready for that.

So the advice I'm looking for is do I buy a bunch of boards from B&Q or Wickes, and glue them up to make one top.
And is it ok, to screw the different components, or am I looking at using some kind of join like a mortise and tenon?

The picture below is the worktop I've just quickly assembled on the Mac.
1689618615502.png

We have recently moved - I am in the process of creating a workshop in about 1.5 normal garages - the other 0.5 having been converted to a utility room.

Custom making storage and building in tools will take time. I don't want to spend 2 years just building the workshop. I already have a workbench which I will reuse.

Solution:
  • Ikea wall and base units to provide storage. Some with drawers. Doors to keep things largely dust free.
  • B&Q kitchen worktop to mount machines - bench grinder, disc sander, wood lathe, scroll saw. Many branches will cut to size so a big plus. Typically flat and 30-40mm thick.
  • mobile units for thicknesser, planer, bandsaw, chop saw as these need space to process long bits of wood. Typically 40x60cm with storage below.
Were I in need of a workbench with a possible useful life of less than 5 years, I would be tempted to go for wooden kitchen worktop as top, probably supported on cupboard units (which may need some reinforcement and height modification.

We have recently moved - I am in the process of creating a workshop in about 1.5 normal garages - the other 0.5 having been converted to a utility room.

Custom making storage and building in tools will take time. I don't want to spend 2 years just building the workshop. I already have a workbench which I will reuse.

Solution:
  • Ikea wall and base units to provide storage. Some with drawers. Doors to keep things largely dust free.
  • B&Q kitchen worktop to mount machines - bench grinder, disc sander, wood lathe, scroll saw. Many branches will cut to size so a big plus. Typically flat and 30-40mm thick.
  • mobile units for thicknesser, planer, bandsaw, chop saw as these need space to process long bits of wood. Typically 40x60cm with storage below.
Were I in need of a workbench with a possible useful life of less than 5 years, I would be tempted to go for wooden kitchen worktop as top, probably supported on cupboard units (which may need some reinforcement and height modification.
I that case look out for used kitchen units and worktop.

I'm in the process of upgrading my workbench with 6x2 timber over 18mm plywood and 4x4 legs..

Solution:
I will take it with me when I move house, it will still be usable.

i've just started watching this series.

I quite fancy this approach, good opportunity to work on my planing technique.

i've just started watching this series.

I quite fancy this approach, good opportunity to work on my planing technique.

Thats a much better way to do a bench top than the Mac diagram in your first post. In fact that series kind of influenced my bench over 10 years ago. Showed that pine is perfectly good for benchtops. I had some very hard wood set aside for it but seeing that showed me I could save the hardwood for a better use and save myself a lot of work too.
Regards
John

I have more room but my w/work bench is steel framed with fully braced top and a 8x4x3/4 ply top.....cheap'ish and quick to replace......
dont make work for urself........
a fire door is perfect.....and roughly the right size....nobody wants em used....hence cheap or free........
moving it is another thing....
I use a pallet truck to move my benches......

if u end up using reclaimed kitch cupboards for the base and want to move it around u will need at least a 3/4 ply base plate under the whole assembly to stiffen everything up and to attach the wheels to.....prob a back plate of 1/2 ply to diagonlly stiffen it all up......
chipboard cupboards dont like being moved......
perfect to line the edges of a workshop and mostley FREE,,,,

Back