Workbench top - plywood top glue or screw or both ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroMike

Reaction score
I've finally build my first workbench. It will be generally used for assembly and some DIY. The current top consists of 3 x 2 . The complete bench is 2m x .9m wide. I have some 18mm hardwood ply I was going to add to the top. The reason for this is I plan to create a router insert at the end and I m thinking its easier to cut the plate shape out of uniform ply than 3x2.

I was planning to seal the plywood both side and then screw it to the 3x2 with counter sunk screws ? Does this appear reasonable OR should I glue this down too? I have finally some 9mm MRMDF - I was also thinking to lay this over the top and just screw the corners - this is my "disposable" top if it get damaged too much.

thoughts ?

If you have the messy and destructive habit of drilling on the bench top without a piece of scrap to collect the divots,you should definitely screw the sacrificial layer down.In a year or three you can turn it over and start again.If you are more disciplined and look after your bench you should still screw it down as accidents happen.If you are a tool collector who spends time in the workshop sweeping up every particle of dust and arranging your premium brand tools in neat lines or waxing the furniture like bench top,it doesn't really matter as you are hardly likely to damage the bench.

Your sacrificial top is a good idea , as for the rest just make it solid. If you glue everything up then making any alterations or modifications at a later date will be more difficult imo of course.

If you have the messy and destructive habit of drilling on the bench top without a piece of scrap to collect the divots,you should definitely screw the sacrificial layer down.In a year or three you can turn it over and start again.If you are more disciplined and look after your bench you should still screw it down as accidents happen.If you are a tool collector who spends time in the workshop sweeping up every particle of dust and arranging your premium brand tools in neat lines or waxing the furniture like bench top,it doesn't really matter as you are hardly likely to damage the bench.
Thank you , I'm trying not to drill into the work top - however, as a beginner - I did forget to put the insulation under my plywood board when cutting with the track saw. I now have a 3mm line across the 3x2s. Lesson learnt.

If you screw it down make sure you have some depth above the screw heads. Jabbing the corner of a chisel into an exposed screw and snapping it off is frustrating when you've just sharpened it! I have a few screws in my worktop that I use as planing stops for thin pieces, managed to hit one the other day. Your sacrificial MDF layer would also resolve this risk.

You could also use long machine screws with countersunk heads and bolt the ply layer on. This would work for the 18mm and for a sacrificial layer of 6 or 9mm mdf. It makes everything tidy and deliberate. You won't replace these layers often in a lifetime but it's easy when you want to. You can buy just as many screws as you need for the job from many ebay sellers.

I have a few screws in my worktop that I use as planing stops for thin pieces
I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this!

I personally wouldn't be keen on MRMDF as a sacrificial layer cos I beat my workbench to death, and i wouldn't want to be breathing that stuff in all the time.

I don't see my working habits as messy, destructive, or undisciplined; the workbench is there to be used, not to be all precious about.

Definitely only screw in, don't glue. I've got two benches exactly like yours with 18mm ply on top. Easy to turn over when the time comes.

Attachments

• IMG_20240203_132557.jpg
    IMG_20240203_132557.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Thank you all for your thought on this, I have completed the task (for now :) ), I decided to use the method suggested by Just4Fun and I dowelled (8x) the board into place.

I then decided to cut my router plate into it. Next is to put some mitre track into the bench for clamps etc....

I've attached picture too :)

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • raw dowel.jpg
    raw dowel.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
  • rawwb.jpg
    rawwb.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • roter.jpg
    roter.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
I had considered a sacrificial top for my workbench - then realised the dog holes would need to be redrilled - compounded by the fact that once the top was on I would be unable to easily locate them.:):)

Back