Selling my workbench - how much should I ask for it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with so much this is just personal opinion (hence the point of your post asking for views). Whilst it is a very nice bench, and we all know the craftmanship and materials that have gone into it, unless it had been a bespoke commission for someone who knew the price before they commissioned, I'm afraid I share the view that 950 is very likely to be unrealistic on the open market as a private sale. Most who would need it are obviously woodworkers some of whom could make their own or may buy a slightly less expensive one and spend the money on tools/machinery. The reason that I have contributed, however, is that I actually do have experience in selling a number of 'second hand' unique workbenches and work tables to a market outside of the woodworking community, (and the achievable pricing of these) so I thought I would add my view based on my real experience in the field. What I say next refers to the UK, US and France which is where my experience in the field I will mention relates to. I believe Ginlow mentioned potentially selling to shops as a display feature for what he referred to as 'shabby chic decor' which is why I mention these points as it is, I'm afraid, highly unlikely to achieve your proposed price. I hope to be able to save you some time here. Through a business of mine (amongst very many completely unrelated usually unique items) I have actually sold a number of unique and high end workbenches/work tables to high end retail outlets/interior designers/movie props purchasers on a number of occasions over the last fifteen years (each had something unique about them why is why I purchased them and I knew I could place them with worthwhile profit left in the piece - difficult to explain in a few words on a post). Some of these have been to very well known names and brands for photo shoots but most I have sold have been purchased by interior designers in the UK, US, and France - which have ultimately gone to high end retail displays or unique residential projects. However this has been through contacts built up over a number of years who I have supplied other unique items to - very few have come direct looking for a bench or work table as they have been pre existing clients who then have had a specific request or seen one particularly good example of a unique one I had available. None of this has been by ringing round shops to see if they are looking for a unique bench or large table for display as I fear that would likely be a less fruitful use of your time. With interior designers this was generally because they have a specific look that the interior designer needs for a specific client or project at a given time- such as a specific architect's table with a unique feature for a new restaurant or a large unique workbench with good patina to display clothing in a high end boutique shop in Chelsea etc. To attract that higher end price they would need, for this market, to have a unique look. In my experience in the field, to step outside the woodworking community to achieve the price point you want and look at the retail/interior decorating sector, it would need to have something unique and I do not see that in this piece (in what is undoubtedly a lovely bench). I cannot see that the market that has been suggested (and I acknowledge it was just mentioned as an 'out there option' with the very best if intentions) would help you achieve anywhere near your desired price point with this particular bench (and it is a difficult one to break in to). As I say, this is completely my personal opinion based upon my years of experience which not everyone may agree with, but I wish you the the very best of luck with it.

Last edited:
As with so much this is just personal opinion (hence the point of your post asking for views). Whilst it is a very nice bench, and we all know the craftmanship and materials that have gone into it, unless it had been a bespoke commission for someone who knew the price before they commissioned, I'm afraid I share the view that 950 is very likely to be unrealistic on the open market as a private sale. Most who would need it are obviously woodworkers some of whom could make their own or may buy a slightly less expensive one and spend the money on tools/machinery. The reason that I have contributed, however, is that I actually do have experience in selling a number of 'second hand' unique workbenches and work tables to a market outside of the woodworking community, (and the achievable pricing of these) so I thought I would add my view based on my real experience in the field. What I say next refers to the UK, US and France which is where my experience in the field I will mention relates to. I believe Ginlow mentioned potentially selling to shops as a display feature for what he referred to as 'shabby chic decor' which is why I mention these points as it is, I'm afraid, highly unlikely to achieve your proposed price. I hope to be able to save you some time here. Through a business of mine (amongst very many completely unrelated usually unique items) I have actually sold a number of unique and high end workbenches/work tables to high end retail outlets/interior designers/movie props purchasers on a number of occasions over the last fifteen years (each had something unique about them why is why I purchased them and I knew I could place them with worthwhile profit left in the piece - difficult to explain in a few words on a post). Some of these have been to very well known names and brands for photo shoots but most I have sold have been purchased by interior designers in the UK, US, and France - which have ultimately gone to high end retail displays or unique residential projects. However this has been through contacts built up over a number of years who I have supplied other unique items to - very few have come direct looking for a bench or work table as they have been pre existing clients who then have had a specific request or seen one particularly good example of a unique one I had available. None of this has been by ringing round shops to see if they are looking for a unique bench or large table for display as I fear that would likely be a less fruitful use of your time. With interior designers this was generally because they have a specific look that the interior designer needs for a specific client or project at a given time- such as a specific architect's table with a unique feature for a new restaurant or a large unique workbench with good patina to display clothing in a high end boutique shop in Chelsea etc. To attract that higher end price they would need, for this market, to have a unique look. In my experience in the field, to step outside the woodworking community to achieve the price point you want and look at the retail/interior decorating sector, it would need to have something unique and I do not see that in this piece (in what is undoubtedly a lovely bench). I cannot see that the market that has been suggested (and I acknowledge it was just mentioned as an 'out there option' with the very best if intentions) would help you achieve anywhere near your desired price point with this particular bench (and it is a difficult one to break in to). As I say, this is completely my personal opinion based upon my years of experience which not everyone may agree with, but I wish you the the very best of luck with it.
I didn't know Drew Pritchard was on here!🤣🤣🤣

All good points.

I would keep it if possible and use it as a display for any craft fairs you do.
Then one day someone will come along and say nice bench how much do you want for it!

Thank you Rob for your insight. I have no prior experience in selling workbenches. So I may be way off with my price quote. Let me explain my price reasoning with pictures.

In Slovakia, almost all workbenches that are sold in classifieds are vintage homemade benches made by professional carpenters and cabinetmakers many decades ago. They are all of the European/German/Scandinavian style. Here are a few examples from current classifieds in Slovakia with asking prices.

1677404718858.png

asking price 500 €

1677404773527.png

asking price 160 €

1677404833034.png

asking price 400 €
1677404941756.png

asking price 1990 €
Then there are brand new workbenches, which can be bought.
length 1800 mm
1677405018684.png

price 1248 €
length 2080
1677405059929.png

price 1896 €
table tops are 40 mm thick with a small apron to look more substantial.

My workbench is made by an amateur - me (all the joints by hand tools) and it is one of my first projects (after a king-size bed and table). It certainly lacks in beauty, accuracy, and opulency (no houndstooth dovetails or sunrise joints). I made it for myself and lacking any advanced skills, my only goal was to make it solid and functional. I think it has far more substance for handplaning than those commercially made benches with screw joints and thin tops. A friend of mine, who is an avid hand tool woodworker told me not to sell it for under 2000 €, but he believes that in Slovakia, there is no market for such workbenches. He told me that If I would sell it in the west, then it would sell with 2000 € price tag very quickly.
Brand new Benchcrafted benches costs 3000 USD for a classic simple bench and 5500 USD for Split Roubo Workbench. I understand that the quality and hardware used are way over my humble endeavor.

What I hear from you and others, I would have difficulty selling it for 500 €, even if I lived in England or France.

The good news is that I have managed to reorganize my workshop in a way, that I can keep both benches if needed. Now I have space for a band saw and chip extractor because I have freed a single wall. Maybe a smallish planner/thicknesser combo would fit in.

I will still try to sell my workbench, as it would help me get money for the planer/thicknesser. But I am in no time hurry, so I can sell it even for a year.

Moving things around in your workshop to accomodate this bench is a good idea and if you had to part with it then if it was me the price would depend upon the new potential owner, I would be much happier seeing it go to a good home where it will be appreciated and used by a woodworker than to become stock for future sales.

Last edited:
@tibi I bought an old bench similar to your 160 euro example about 3 or 4 years ago. I paid 80 or 90 euro. I don't actually like the bench but alternatives are few and far between here. However I would not pay the sort of money you are looking for, no matter how good the bench.

It is an odd market. Most people who can justify owning such a serious bench are probably capable of making their own so are unlikely to buy at a high price.

@tibi I bought an old bench similar to your 160 euro example about 3 or 4 years ago. I paid 80 or 90 euro. I don't actually like the bench but alternatives are few and far between here. However I would not pay the sort of money you are looking for, no matter how good the bench.

It is an odd market. Most people who can justify owning such a serious bench are probably capable of making their own so are unlikely to buy at a high price.

It is strange that people like Frank Strazza and some others are making a living making custom bespoke workbenches for other woodworkers (and I would never dare to compare my bench with any of his - even if he made one as a twelve-year-old kid). Here is the post, where Richard Maguire ( the English Woodworker) announced that he is closing his business making workbenches.
https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/no-more-workbenches/
I just want to pick out this quote: We’re far from retirement and the business itself is stronger than ever.

Lie Nielsen's workbench is out of stock at 3500 USD, so someone must have bought them out.

Even in Slovakia, many of those 1500 - 2000 € workbenches are out of stock, so somebody must have bought them.

(or those products are not and never were in stock - they are just displayed that such a workbench can be made)

I am not intending to make a business making workbenches, or tell that my bench is anything special, but there must be out there people (woodworkers or wanna-be woodworkers), who buy ready-to-use workbenches for much more money than I am asking for mine (considering the cost of material and hardware that I put into it). My bench is also made for a left-hander, which is rather rare (but the vice position can be swapped in 15 minutes for a right-hander as well). Many benches (especially those of the Continental type are not built for a left-hander and you cannot swap position of the main vice).

There are thousands of people who spend the same money I am asking for buying a cofee table or a small dining table made of much less wood than a workbench. And they buy them because it is real wood.

After reorganizing a shop I can wait even for a year and slightly lower its price every few months to find a prospective buyer. If I find none, I will be still able to keep it, although my shop will be cramped with both machines and workbenches, as it is only 3,6x3,6m.

a business solely making workbenches(by hand?) would be extremely taxing physically. even by machine it would be like making the same thing ad infinitum. I can imagine making say £2000 profit per bench would be great but obviously is diminishing return take a week that's 80000 take a fortnight that's 40000 one a month becomes 20000etc. its much easier to teach someone to make there own bench both physically and mentally. he's still carved his Mr workbench niche but no longer has to put in the slog.

all handcrafted multiples will move this way. I can't think of anyone making the same thing for years that can keep it going. it's better to get revenue on youtube guruing beginners.

that's not a negative guruing beginners btw. it just means you can sustain yourself without doing damage(physical or mental)

a business solely making workbenches(by hand?) would be extremely taxing physically. even by machine it would be like making the same thing ad infinitum. I can imagine making say £2000 profit per bench would be great but obviously is diminishing return take a week that's 80000 take a fortnight that's 40000 one a month becomes 20000etc. its much easier to teach someone to make there own bench both physically and mentally. he's still carved his Mr workbench niche but no longer has to put in the slog.

all handcrafted multiples will move this way. I can't think of anyone making the same thing for years that can keep it going. it's better to get revenue on youtube guruing beginners.
I think that Richard Maguire was fully using machines when making workbenches. He mentions in his blog having a bandsaw (which he still uses as a hand tool woodworker), then Felder planner/thicknesser, and a morticing machine. I do not know if he used any other machines in his business, but I assume he did.

He currently has 46,7k subscribers on Youtube. I do not know if that is enough of making a full-time living and that many of them convert to buyers of his courses. He also blogs or makes new videos only once a few months or half a year. I suppose it is only a side hustle for him and that he has another job (woodwork related or not).

When you compare him to Paul Sellers, who is technically a pensioner but has a team of people, publishes content almost daily, has over 500k followers, a big forum, an active blog, and a lot of paid classes. I see that he can easily double or triple his pension with the money he earns from it.

When I compare hand-tool-only woodworking channels to machine woodworking channels, they get only a tiny portion of the popularity of machine woodworkers. Hand tool woodworker channels have 40 - 70k subscribers, the only exceptions are Paul Sellers, Rob Cosman, and Wood by Wright.

So for the rare exceptions and /or people like Tom Fidgen (who has a real class in Toronto and puts 100% of his content behind a paywall), I cannot see that someone can replace a full-time job with teaching hand tool skills online.

but he has only just begun to monetize his intellectual assets. what's the first thing beginners want to make? a bench. sellars got that straight away. now driven beginners will want Mr bench. and they will pay to be spoon-fed.( so to speak)

Latest posts

Back