Which table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Table Saw?

• Record Power TSPP250 (very big)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SIP Cast iron (very big)

• Scheppach TS2000

• Elektra Beckum PK200

• Kity 419

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
tom i think so after p*** ar**** about with the fence on my clarke t/saw .

frank

I can empathies with Frank on this one...

the OME fence with my POS was utterly unusable.. honestly; straight outa the box.... then straight INTO the bin....death trap in the making..

since dropping my saw into my rolling cabinet, I've been using a 60" long 2x4x.025" aluminium beam as a fence; it gets me outa the hole but set up is a pain....

the fences I saw on the Woodford site seem to be clones of a Bessy... other side of the pond they're rated as the best there is.. However...

Sgian has pointed out again (see John's dado thread) that a safe rip fence will stop at or just before the centre of the saw blade... To my mind, all that's needed is a bolt on addition to the Bessy to make it safe for ripping; you still retain all its strength, speed and accuracy.

If I weren't looking to get more involved with handraulics, I'd honestly go for the saw I pointed out, perhaps with a slightly smaller rip capacity to fit inside the shop....

Thom, I was in Ask Tools on Bradford road,Birstal, quite near to you and they have a couple of demo t/s's.One is a record with sliding table and one is a S.I.P. It might help you decide what is important to you if you had a look at the two types.

Well after much debating i have decided to go for the Record TSP250

However, I would like to know if anyone knows whether this saw can take the freud dado blade?

I can't find any info anywhere about whether it has an electric brake or not....And it has a 30mm bore (the sip only has a 25.7mm one i think) which should take the blades..

Any help would be great!!!

Ta

Tom

ps. I hope that when it comes i will be able to get it into the house and down into the WS!! :shock: :? :lol:

thomaskennedy":1v9f8u08 said:
Well after much debating i have decided to go for the Record TSP250

However, I would like to know if anyone knows whether this saw can take the freud dado blade?

I can't find any info anywhere about whether it has an electric brake or not....And it has a 30mm bore (the sip only has a 25.7mm one i think) which should take the blades..

'fraid not Tom. The issue has been hacked about quite a few times in recent threads and I reckon 98.7% of UK sourced TSs are not dado enabled. You could of course look into the possibility of changing the arbor etc although you may have problems if the motor is braked. Best to take some advice from others, who may know what they are talking about, 'cause I don't...
30mm seem to be the standard arbor size.

Noel

Tom,
i've got the tspp250 and its a definite no to the dado and it is braked,
It comes pretty well in bits so you should be able to get it through a standard doorway, its bl**dy heavy though. :shock:

cd

Tom,
Iv'e just sold mine, and Like CD & Noely says its not Dado friendly.
It has a mechanical brake when I asked Record before I bought it.

If you haven't seen one unpacked, it comes in kit form on a wooden pallet, so you shouldn't have any problem getting it into small spaces ( although it grows quite quickly once the boxes are open :D :D . You'll need some time set aside to assemble it all.

I can tell you carrying all that Cast Iron keeps you fit though :D :D

Have fun

Ah thats a shame...i was looking forward to that....never mind though....

But whats the worst that can happen? If i put a dado blade on what will happen to it?....Also is there anyway of removing the electric brake?

Glad to hear that it will come through our doorway :D

Thanks for the help guys!

Ta

Tom

thomaskennedy":2ysr8k4b said:
..Also is there anyway of removing the electric brake?

Tom
Tom
Record tell me it has a mechanical brake, and after having one for 5 months
I'm pretty sure their right.

Does the mechanical brake affect a dado? Or again can it be removed?

Tom..... it'd be more accurate to turn the question around, ask it differently and deduct your answer that way.....

The added mass of the dado set adversly affects the brake, which is why braked machines are fitted with an arbour that's too short to be dado capable. Even if it were possible to remove the brake (I think this is a form of DC braking rather than mechanical), you're still left with a short arbour.

"If i put a dado blade on what will happen to it?...."

Ok Tom you go out and spend 80 odd quid on a dado set. Get home, pull the regular blade off your TS, put on the outside blade of your dado set and............well, that's it really. No more room on the arbor for anything else other than the arbor nut, and a total waste of your 80 dabs. I think you need to become familiar with stacked dados and compliant arbors to appreciate the ins and outs of the issue. I appreciate that we all have to do extensive research before such a major purchase such as a TS but I think you have to decide exactly what your requirements, desires, needs etc are before you purchase, especially as you are at such an early stage in your WW hobby/career etc. We've all been there Tom, so appreciate your dilemma. So, to this end, if you want me to, I will post pictures of a dodo compliant arbor, dado set, how it mounts etc. Let me know.
Good luck.

Noel

Hmm...So the bore size doesn't count (getting confusing for me hear :roll: )

I dunno what the bore is, i presumed it was something to do with the blade area because the Record is 30mm and the Freud Dado set is a 30mm set....

What kind of TS accapts a Dado then :? Any? :?:

Ta

Tom

Tom
the bore is how wide the hole is in the blade. The width of the arbor refers to how long it is in relation to the thickness of the blade. Any better?
cheers
Philly :D [/img]

The Dado debate seems to rage and rage round here! for someone not into mass production, I have never seen the need for one, there appears to be nothing that can't be done with a router and good straight edge.

Actually looking through this thread I have realised that my TS (part of a very old kity combi) could probably take one, but I ain't about to put it to the test!

Tom, If you're set on a dado you may have to look for a second hand saw. Some of the older ones have long arbours or at least no brake which means you could adapt the arbour but be very careful, a dado whizzing round on a dodgy set up is a dangerous thing. I wanted a dado set so I bought a saw on ebay, fitted a new motor and bought a dado blade set from Canada,the whole lot for £150.(c/i top too)

Philly, I'm confused.......
Tom, I shall post some pictures this evening which I hope will enlighten you. Bore is generally the size (diameter) of a hole although also used to describe the diameter of the arbor shaft. Most saw blades have a bore of 30mm and therefore the corresponding thickness of the arbor is also 30mm. But, with regard to dados (dadi?) it's the lenght of the arbor which is critical for your needs.

Noel

Right Tom, class 101 discussing the relationship between Mr Arbor and Mrs Dado.

Ok, here's an arbor that will take a stacked dado. It's about 30mm long and 5/8 (15.8mm) thick. Obviously the lenght is the critical dimension from your point of view.
IMG_0005ArborRcd.jpg

Next we have the outer dado blade which mounts on the arbor first.
IMG_0012OutBladeRcd.jpg

This is a chipper. Some are 4 winged, others are 2 winged. Although you can use the dado without chippers (using just the two main blades) generally these are used. Dependent upon desired width you can choose up to 6 chippers of differing thickness. To further adust the width of cut shims can also be used.
IMG_0014ChipperRcd.jpg

This picture shows the chippers being mounted, taking care to ensure that the wings are balanced and that no carbide teeth come into contact with each other.
IMG_0015BuildRcd.jpg

Finally this is the dado with chippers and the other outer blade fitted.
IMG_0019BuiltRcd.jpg

I guess it just acts like a very thick kerfed saw blade, chiseling out the waste.
IMG_0022InSawRcd.jpg

Finally this is a regular rip blade and you can see the remaining portion of the arbor.
IMG_0026RegBladeRcd.jpg

Hope this helps.

Noel

Blimey...thats cleared things up a bit :shock:

Thanks for the pictures Noely...It makes it much much easier to understand :D

Just one question....Is the arbor you show the average type?

Because if record claim to have a 30mm bore...then the 15.8mm thickness of yours is smaller? :? :?:

Heres me getting confused with terminology again :roll: :oops:

So is the record definatly out of the question for a dado :? :( ?

Ta, Tom :?:

Back