Which table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Table Saw?

• Record Power TSPP250 (very big)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SIP Cast iron (very big)

• Scheppach TS2000

• Elektra Beckum PK200

• Kity 419

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Alf":3pdiz5u6 said:
Mdotflorida":3pdiz5u6 said:
DaveL":3pdiz5u6 said:
My old B&Q saw if it was not fixed down had a tendency to jump on startup and move in use, both of these are bad from a safety point of view. I gave the B&Q saw to one of my friends,

Good friend was he Dave ? :?
ROTFL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not any more! :lol: :lol:

LMAO :D :lol: :lol:

I wonder which 'friend' i should send my B&Q one too :wink: :lol: lol

Seriously though, thanks for all the help and pictures everyone has posted...

Dave- How much was your saw? I guess it was an ebay purchase? Is it a good idea to get one like that?

I like the sound of those Dewalt blades..they look good, but im not so sure about the wobbly edge it makes :?

Ta

Tom

Dave
Glad you got yourself sorted with your "new" saw-looks great. The dado filled me with dread when I first got it-a little fear is good but all the "nightmare" stories I've heard here and in the magazines had me rattled. Reality-if your saw if built to take a dado it is a calm, safe method of working. Quiet, fast (you can take the whole depth in one go-unlike a router!) and just like ripping on a table saw. Funnily enough, just like watching Norm........... :twisted:
I'm sure the "Antidado-H+S-I'm a professional and I can't use one-you're gonna lose fingers if you use a dado" gang will be along in a minute for the predictable moan, but you can't beat REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE of something, as opposed to reading something in a magazine/old wives tale/just plain envy. :?
Best regards
Getting off his high horse,
Philly :D
(Who has spent the weekend handtooling it.........)

Hi Tom,

Take a look at this thread for details of the saw purchase.
I went to see it before I bid on it, I have used big saws in the past as well as a lot of metal working machines so I know the sort of things to look out for. I had to change the motor which meant getting the pulley rebored and buying new belts, I have friends who can do this sort of thing so it only cost a bottle. 8)

And moving that beast is not easy, my son in law has a van, 5 of us put in on, there was only the 2 of us to get it off, very scary. :shock:

So I am not trying to put you of buying a nice old british saw but there are lots of things to consider.

Philly":2820xm70 said:
you can't beat REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE of something, as opposed to reading something in a magazine/old wives tale/just plain envy
As long as your real world experience doesn't include a trip to A&E, that's all...

Not wildly enamoured of the "gang" tag, btw. On the whole methinks you protest too much, Philly. It makes it sound like you're trying to convince yourself... :?

Tom, I've been wrestling with myself on this for a few days now, but I'm just going to have to do the boring old fart impression 'cos I'd never forgive myself if I didn't and you got hurt. Some of your questions have been a bit, well, basic, and it worries me that you're getting into deep water without learning how to swim first. If you haven't already, get a book like the Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual and read it. Don't worry, it'll tell you how to do all sorts of dubious things like cutting joinery on a T/S, but it'll also tell you how to do it as safely as possible, and give a really good basic grounding in the whys and wherefores of all aspects of woodworking and tool use. And you'll still refer back to it when you think you know it all - 'cos I do. End of homily - forgive me if you will. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf
Sorry-didn't mean to get too "spirited" but been getting a bit miffed recently with the mean sprited types who poo-poo without ever having do-do (if you know what I mean?) :D
Cheers

Tom, listen up.
As we're on the 7th page of assistance in your quest to equip yourself, and your workshop, with a table saw I've got to concur with Alf. As I hope I may have mentioned in my many posts on the issue ability to use a stacked dado should not be the ultimate goal in your quest. Your ultimate goal is to obtain a semi decent table saw that will assist you in your woodworking. Simple as that. Now I don't mean to, or want to appear to be, patronising but safety is your first concern. As I've suggested in the past the Record TS would be more than adequate for your needs.
If you are still enamoured with the glamour of a stacked dado get yourself off to Woodford (it's near to you, isn't it?) or find somebody with one and check it out under controlled conditions.
Now, Alf might be an old(ish) fart (she's a cricket fan...) but we are both well in touch with reality (most days) so please just get some insight (and a book or two) and be satisfied in your own mind that you're comfortable (ie respectful rather than fearful) with the whirly sharp bits.

Noel, who has just landed on the 8th page...

tom i have my xcalibur 805 and it looks the biz it has a sliding table so i will have to find out how to use it . your w/shop is in the celler so you can get a woodford saw down there as you have to put it together .not sure if you want cast iron or alu top ,i have put mine on wheels so i can move it about .its all about how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last . this saw will see me out .

ps how come there is no xcalibur at the top of the page i think one or two people own them :lol: :lol:

Hi,

I see what your saying about the dado blade...
But i have to make a big decision here....do i get a TS without a dado...then upgrade later...or buy a dado compatible saw now, have a learn about them, and then buy one? :? :?

BTW where can i buy the dewalt groove cutter? And how much are they?

Ta

Tom

Noely":2lxs9743 said:
Now, Alf might be an old(ish) fart (she's a cricket fan...) but we are both well in touch with reality (most days)
Noel, I'm touched. Nicest thing anyone's said to me all day. :lol: Mind you, I fear we might as well be addressing all our words of old fartishness to the off stump... (that's the stick on the left of the three. Or the right. It depends...)

Cheers, Alf

Page 8...gotta agree with you.

Noel

Hi Alf

Alf":2qga1q55 said:
Mind you, I fear we might as well be addressing all our words of old fartishness to the off stump... (that's the stick on the left of the three. Or the right. It depends

This is where I show I'm not a cricket fan. So are they both the off-stump or does it depend upon the direction or line of the bowler?

Cheers
Neil

PS Noel - Not a mention of the D-word.

Neil,

It's quite simple really - There are three stumps at each end of the wicket (although each side when batting has ten wickets which it can lose to be all out, but it can declare when it has lost none, or between one and nine of its wickets). When the bowler is running up to bowl at the batsman at the other end of the wicket, if the batsman facing him is right-handed, then the far end stump on the bowler's left is the off stump. If the batsman is left-handed then the far end stump on the bowler's right is the off stump. The stump in the middle is always the middle stump. The stump of the other side from whichever is the off stump is always the leg stump at that time. If there is a right handed batsman and a left handed batsman in at the same time and they cross over during an over, then the off stump changes sides. Before facing a bowler, the batsman will ask the umpire, the one standing by the other set of stumps near the bowler, for a guard. He will ask for either off-stump, or middle and off, or middle/centre, or middle and leg, or two legs. A batsman can be out 'stumped.' At the end of the over, another bowler starts bowling from the other end at the batsman by the stumps where the first bowler has just finished his over (at which point the umpire by the stumps will have shouted "over"). Now, depending on how the batsman plays, one of these stumps becomes the off stump, etc., etc.......................

Hope this clarifies things for you. :roll: :roll: :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.
(sorry, I haven't got a table saw :cry: )

No Neil... depends on whether the batsman is left or right handed......

But i have to make a big decision here....do i get a TS without a dado...then upgrade later...or buy a dado compatible saw now, have a learn about them, and then buy one?

Tom... never mind the auld farts... I reckon you're doin this the right way, even if you're a lil fixated with the dado thang...

Personally... I'd do it once... do it right... learn how to use tre tool to its full potential with regular rip / crosscut blades before dropping a dado head into it...

For the record... Alf and Philly giving some sound advise too... read up about it, practice doing things correctly till it becomes second nature and ya winna go far wrong....

Hi Trev and Mike

Thank you both.

Am I correct in thinking that it doesn't matter whether the bowler bowls from the right or left of the stick thingies?

Cheers
Neil

Philly":1j135xqd said:
Alf
Sorry-didn't mean to get too "spirited" but been getting a bit miffed recently with the mean sprited types who poo-poo without ever having do-do (if you know what I mean?) :D
Cheers

{Philly

As an ex-dado user (can't fit one to the kity), I agree with everything you said :wink: :lol:

thomaskennedy":1xeeylqb said:
Hi,

I see what your saying about the dado blade...
But i have to make a big decision here....do i get a TS without a dado...then upgrade later...or buy a dado compatible saw now, have a learn about them, and then buy one? :? :?

BTW where can i buy the dewalt groove cutter? And how much are they?

Ta

Tom

Tom

I thnk that you should seriously consider the following:

Buy the record that you like and use a router for the dados.

Absolutely right, Neil. If he/she is a right-arm bowler and bowls on his left hand side of the stumps he is bowling over the wicket, and if he bowls to the right hand side of the stumps he is bowling round the wicket. If the bowler is a left-arm bowler the same applies, but the other way about! :?

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Trev

trevtheturner":2uyrglfu said:
If he/she is a right-arm bowler and bowls on his left hand side of the stumps he is bowling over the wicket, and if he bowls to the right hand side of the stumps he is bowling round the wicket. If the bowler is a left-arm bowler the same applies, but the other way about!

Let's get this right. I now know, and I use the term loosely, about bowling over the wicket if I'm a right or left hander. The difficulty I'm having is putting it all together. :wink:

I now understand why I don't watch cricket. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":25isb8mu said:
I now understand why I don't watch cricket. :roll:
Cheers Neil

It's not for watching Neil! It's what old people use to speed them off to the land of nod after lunch. Nothing like a bit of cricket to make you fall asleep!:twisted:

Adam

Back