Which table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Table Saw?

• Record Power TSPP250 (very big)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SIP Cast iron (very big)

• Scheppach TS2000

• Elektra Beckum PK200

• Kity 419

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been kicking myself for a week now...i cant make my mind up on a table saw :(

I first looked at the electra Beckum one at around £600, that looked good but not sure about fence...

Next i saw SIP....i thought WOW...but it might be too big :(

Then i Saw the Record one like the SIP but with Crosscut action...i would love that but i dunno whether there is enough space or not (like the SIP)

And i have also been recommended the Sheppach TS2000...but again doesn't look solid...

Main use would be to cut panels for your average project (table, small cupboards, trunks etc. etc.)

I am depending on people to vote for me now :roll:

So which table saw is it to be?

Ta

Tom

ps. If you recommend another saw then please saw and i will add it :)

<plaaying devil's advocate..

Tom.... is there a limit to the budget as well as physical size??

<remembering that your shop space really isn't all that wide...

I'm asking with an aim to thin out the field a bit...

Midnight":i6005wfe said:
just a thought.....

http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/Table_Saws1.html

check out model # 8040101

I reakon Mike has pointed out one very nice saw, its a little brother of what Philly has. 8)

Not sure that you have the space but just look at that fence
Precision "T" fence locks securely and parallel to saw blade, allowing for highly accurate cuts.
what more could you want from a saw that cost less than £450?

I bought the Record TSPP250.
It has a very good sliding table, The fence is a joy to use, very smooth action, locks at both ends. Fox do the same saw for less money than Record,
it has an extension table less and either a 1 or 2 yr warranty. The Record has a 5 year warranty. You can get the Fox for £700. Both saws come with a 200mm + pull saw action as well. very good when cutting small sections.
And if you wish they will cut an 8 X 4 Sheet with ease on the sliding carriage or rip fence.

Sheepach are doing the newer TS2010 with stand, sliding carriage and side table for about & £700.00. I wouldn't consider a saw without the sliding carriage its so useful for cutting boards and dimensioning stock to length.

http://www.nmauk.com/scheppach/scheppac ... s2010.html

I've got the Kity combi 2000 which uses a lot of the 419 parts.

Jason

£700 would get you quite a long way into a full Festool system. If you need to cut panels, then it's definitely the best way. I cut lots of panels in my work, since I got the Festool, and built myself an 8x4 cutting table, I hardy ever use my Electra Bekum PKF255 saw (which is designed for panel work, mine is for sale at £700 BTW)
The way to make the Festool system really work for you is to invest in the Festool MFT as well. The accuracy and quality of cut will blow away anything less than an Altendorf, IMHO
John
Edited to add, if you're short of space then that's another indicator for the Festool system, as you move the tool, not the panel. If you want to rip an 8x4 panel on a table saw, not only do you need to be pretty strong, you also need 16' of clear space

thanks for the link mike i like the 8020101 to it looks better than the record rsts12 i was thinking of getting .

ps its just up the road i wonder if they have a showroom .

Frank,
I believe they have a showroom-give them a call, they were very helpful.
I live in Poole, Dorset, so exactly local for me. :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi,

Is the TSPP250 1.4m wide including the sliding carriage?

I was thinking about a festool but the only thing that is putting me off is the fact that you cant make repeat cuts with it..

Ta

Tom

Philly... what diameter of arbour was yours fitted with?? Just curious cos their tech info pop-ups are obviously geared for US spec markets (5/8" arbour) I've found to my cost that trying to get a compatable blade this side of the pond leaves very few to choose from.

Tom

To be honest, I would say that any one of them will do what you want as well as you want it too and I would strongly warn against the sagacity of asking others to choose for you :?

There is not that much to choose beteeen saws once you are above the budget entry level models with crappy fences and brushed motors and into the £500-£1000 area

I am over the moon with my kity 419 which I chose because the dealer was in leicester which was where I lived at the time.
You see, I really do believe that they are all good enough for the average hobbiest or small business, and so I chose the one that I could touch and use before buying and a dealer that I could take it back too should there be any problems (there weren't)

Whichever you get, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Thom, instead of deciding on a saw think about what you need a saw for and then try to find different ways to achieve that end.A table saw in a confined space can be a real pain in the a**e, I know I have one. My space is bigger than yours but apart from taking the saw to pieces to get it down there I can't get large sheets down either so I have to take them down ready cut.I do use the t/s occasionally but mostly I use my band saw.

well i went to the showroom wow like a kid in a sweet shop , the staff where very helpful .the saws are like the american ones the motor is fitted out the back and the blade is belt driven .
they look and feel very solid the fence is robust with fine adjustment the 8020 0101 has heavy metal plate extensions in a gray colour .
the one draw back is dust collection the back and base of the saws are all open ,so you will have to devise a way of connecting your extractor.

oh yes and you can fit a set of d*d* cutters if you want .

frank

Frank
What did I tell you?
Nice bunch of folk.
Cast iron is the way Brother, walk with us....... :wink: 8)
cheers
Cast Iron Philly :D

Frank,

Dust collection is no big deal, just screw a board on the base with a 4" port and then another board on the back with a few holes and slots to accommodate the belt and the swinging of the motor for bevel cuts.
If you do make the right decision and get one, drop me a line for further info.

Noel

hi Tom
i too am in the same 'which table saw?' quandry. i was looking at the woodford link, did you go to there showroom? if so where is this, i would be quite interested in having a closer look at these machines.

Philly, just out interest what is the model saw you have yourself and did you get it from woodford. was this the onlysaw you wanted?
regards all
bad

Latest posts

Back