Which table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Table Saw?

• Record Power TSPP250 (very big)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SIP Cast iron (very big)

• Scheppach TS2000

• Elektra Beckum PK200

• Kity 419

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
I'm torn between the 8040101 and the 8050101. Trouble is now I can afford it I can't get it as I'm in the process of building my workshop. I have also been given a verbal warning that if any more tools appear on the doorstep before it is finished then so am I.

Drew

I have also been given a verbal warning that if any more tools appear on the doorstep before it is finished then so am I.

ROFLMAO.....

damn..........women can be soooooooooo unreasonable at times....

Drew...... my heart goes out to you Bud.... it really does.... :wink:

<chucklin...

if I'd a penny for every time I'd heard that.....

Bad,
I have the 602, I believe. Did you see the issue of Good Woodworking where they reviewed the 12 inch Xcaliber? Mine is the 10 inch version of that.
Woodford are the only importer in the Uk-thats were I got mine!
And yes, the Delta Unisaw was my "dream" saw. (Thank you Norm :roll: )
cheers
Philly :D

Noely":16mynfhl said:
Frank,

Dust collection is no big deal, just screw a board on the base with a 4" port and then another board on the back with a few holes and slots to accommodate the belt and the swinging of the motor for bevel cuts.
If you do make the right decision and get one, drop me a line for further info.

Noel
Sounds exctly like my 419 :) Did you tie the rear port to your 4" port on the wooden bottom?

well i just phoned up woodford to order a table saw and they dont take c/cards cash or cheques only , so the saw will have to wait , its a bummer . :cry: :cry: :cry:

frank

Frank,
Its worth asking your credit card company if they will give you some cheques. I did, Egg supplied me with some and I use those and they debit them from my card.
hope this helps

I myself quite like the look of the Xcalibur 8040101 model. I like the idea of the cast table and wings. it looks quite good and solid. Alot of the models seem to have the same or similar specs, how are you guy's choosing which model you prefer?
In terms of buying a table saw part of me thinks i should just close my eyes and buy a saw, get it over and done with. You look at one saw think you have decided then find another one with other good merits.
so much choice ahhhh :cry:

bad_hypertension":mcxyqq3c said:
how are you guy's choosing which model you prefer?

I choose by whether or not it has a good sliding table. How badly one needs a sliding table will depend very much on what sort of woodworking you have already done, and intend to in the future. I learned quite a bit from a skilled cabinet maker who had a Luna combination machine with sliding table. Since then it has never occured to me to get a machine that was not so equipped.
The machine I eventually bought has a table with a traverse of 1.4 meters. This means that I can rough cut an 8x4 sheet, then put it on the table and crosscut it the full 1220mm and get a clean straight edge. That then becomes the reference edge. Turn it 90 degrees, get the good edge against the crosscut fence and cut perfectly square panels. Try that with a 'sled'!
The cast iron/aluminium table argument has been gone into quite a bit. Some people set a lot of store by CI tables. I personally am more concerned about accuracy and speed of operation
John

thanks for the tips, and taking part in the poll....

I think i have come to a decision, well maybe :p :roll:

I was thinking that if i get a Record Power i could make a panel cutting jig to help with the small panels?!

I have discarded the SIP and Elektra Beckum...

So now i am down to TSPP250 TS2000 :roll:

Thing is, when you look at the rip fence of the both of them, the scheppach is not even past the blade, whereas the Record Power is full length of the table and looks much sturdier.....

However, the Record has no sliding carriage (that will fit in my workshop) and i dunno whether i would use the sliding carriage enough to get the sheppach :x

Just a big circle lol :shock: :?

I think i might go for the Record Power, but like i say....i am still undecided

Ta

Tom :roll:

Hard luck Tom, 30mm is the diameter of the arbor and of course the size of the hole in the blade. As far as I'm aware the only Dado capable TS on the UK market is an Xcalibur model, which, if I were you, I wouldn't discount.

Noel

Hi Tom,

You can buy dado heads with 5/8" or 30mm bore.

For a dado head to be used you need a saw with a long arbour, if you are cutting a 3/4" dado the head is 3/4" wide. Most modern saws have a short arbour. Also the saw should not be fitted with a brake, the dado weighs a lot more than a single blade and if braked hard could undo the nut and do damage to all sorts of things. :(

Both of these requirements are outside of the EU safety rules and saws used in a commercial shop have to have a brake and a short arbour.

Tom....

have you read Charlie's review...?? It might help some..

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/review/review.php?id=21

I think I need to clarify some points for ya...
A large panel cutting jig is a poor man's sliding table; it's no more than a large piece of fairly thin ply (12mm is perfect), a key fixed to its underside to ride in one of the mitre slots, and a back fence. The critical parts are that all 3 pieces are fixed perfectly; the key being square with the back edge of the panel, and the back fence being square with the saw blade. When you build it, the trick is to deliberately oversize the dimension between the right hand edge of the board and the guide key so that it will extend past where the blade will be. It's first pass past the blade removes the oversized section leaving an edge that is perfectly parallel with and flush to the blade. You can then use that fresh cut edge as your reference point. It also provides prefect support for the piece being cut, serving in a similar way as a zero clearance throat plate would in preventing any blow out on the underside of the piece being cut.
One other essential piece of kit while using the panel cutter, is an adjustable roller bearing support; trying to work on a small saw without this makes it impossible to use the panel cutter; there's too much weight overhanging the table.
In use, I'll be honest, it can be a bit of a pain if you're working by yourself. An "assistant" to operate the start button can be useful if you're cutting really big stuff.
To my mind, where it scores hands down over a fixed sliding carriage is that when you're done with it, it can be hung on the wall outa the way.

For small crosscutting work, there's nothing that can touch a cross cutting sled for accuracy. It's construction is similar to the large panel cutter, only this time you attach 2 keys to the underside, one to suit each mitre slot, as it's supposed to straddle the blade. Additionally, you need 2 fences; one at the front just to tie both sides of the base board together, and a taller one at the back to support your stock against. The additional height serves to keep your fingers well away from the saw blade. Now, although you need to remove the guard from the saw to use this sled, you can leave the splitter in place provided it's pretty damn close to being the same width as the saw blade. For safety's sake, there's nothing to stop you fitting a piece of perspex between the 2 fences to effectively box off the blade. This time around, with regard to cut quality, it operates exactly like a zero clearance insert as the slot in the base board is only as wide as a saw kerf; absolutely no blow out on the underside of either the panel or the offcut.
There's an argument that says that with the addition of suitable tapered inserts, a cross cut sled can do away with the likes of a SCMS, although personally I wouldn't wanna put that to the test.
Again, just like the large panel cutter, once you're done with it, you can hang it up (on something substantial) outa the way till it's next needed.

Crosscut sleds needn't be confined to producing square cornered panels; I've seen variants built to produce perfectly mitred corners for picture frames for example; a set up that blows a chop saw outa the water for speed and repeatability.
Provided you take your time, being very fussy with regard to checking that everything is square when you build them, these jigs can earn their keep for years.

thomaskennedy":24eg4avb said:
Thing is, when you look at the rip fence of the both of them, the scheppach is not even past the blade, whereas the Record Power is full length of the table and looks much sturdier.....

The Scheppach is correct, and the Record, being based on old fashioned American designs, is wrong. Whereas a long fence is OK for manmade boards, it is unsafe for hardwoods. As the internal streses are released the cut portion may well go out of lline with the rest of the board and veer into the back of the blade.This is a bad thing. The short fence helps to reduce this risk.
The best system is as on the Electra Bekum 255, where the length of the fence can be varied to suit the material being cut
John

thomaskennedy":1dfm80zk said:
Tom :roll:

As John Elliott says, the fence should be short, or at the very least adjustable, so that it can be brought forwatds or out of the way. The fence should not extend past the centre point of the blade, otherwise if you are cutting wood with internal stresses, and it springs apart after the blade, if it is sandwiched in by a fence, it will pinch against the blade at a point in which the blade is moving upwards and towards you. Result = kickback.

On my table saw, I am careful to adjust the fence approriately on man-made/"real" timber. I'd have another look at them both Tom, this feature has safety implications. To my mind, Scheppach have recognised the danger and made the bits adjustable.

Adam

Mind you guys-if you're using your riving knife then it's not really a big problem (or your cutting green timber on your table saw!)
I set the fence approx 0.5mm out of parallel away from the blade to compensate for any pinch.
hope this helps

johnelliott":11u980l4 said:
The Scheppach is correct, and the Record, being based on old fashioned American designs, is wrong. Whereas a long fence is OK for manmade boards, it is unsafe for hardwoods. As the internal streses are released the cut portion may well go out of lline with the rest of the board and veer into the back of the blade.

John

All modern saws have a splitter behind the blade to prevent this. A long fence does not cause the problem you describe if the user has left the splitter in place

The Record comes with an additional half-length fence which can be fitted to the main fence and adjusted to the required position.

John

Tony":iwajrjgs said:
John

All modern saws have a splitter behind the blade to prevent this. A long fence does not cause the problem you describe if the user has left the splitter in place

Agreed, a riving knife helps a lot. Total prevention is a bit optimistic though. The knife can't really be more than about 3mm thick, and will bend if enough pressure is put on it
John

Back