Which impact bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on decent impact bits?

I've tried:

Erbauer - not good
Axminster - lasted two screws!
Irwin - again didn't last very long.

Open to ideas!

I like the 50mm ones, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wera every time for me. I haven't used the 50mm ones but I've never broken one of the normal short ones.

Ok, everyone's going to laugh like loons at this, but I have just today used the last of 600 (3 boxes) of 70mm decking screws with a Makita cordless impact driver to fasten 2x2 battens around the interior of my shed, and I did it all, no word of a lie, with just ONE of the driver bits from this mixed 50mm PZ set made by PTX:

http://www.diy.com/departments/ptx-mixe ... 919_BQ.prd

And there's still some life left in it!

Best of it is, they're not even impact driver bits... :mrgreen:

I actually did buy a set of Makita impact bits for this job, but I didn't need to even open the box.

Definitely NOT Milwaukee, they are rubbish. I've just got some normal Dewalt bits i'm using at the moment and they are way better. £5 for a box of 25.

Wera's impact bits are very good and the Wiha bits are good but a bit to long for a holder and to short to really be used in the chuck directly.

Thy said I'm currently using up the ton of free bits I got with a Ressier screw trade pack and subsequent tubs of screws I've bought for job refirbing the house and they've been pretty good - laid ply sub floor in the kitchen (64sqft) using a single bit.

Why do most people seem to like the 25mm bits? I find they get stuck in the screw heads occasionally and that's just annoying. I never have that issue with the 50mm ones but I hardly ever see people using them - any reason?

DiscoStu":2tpbd00i said:
Why do most people seem to like the 25mm bits? I find they get stuck in the screw heads occasionally and that's just annoying.
Why would the length of the bit make any difference to whether it gets stuck in the screw head? The tip should be exactly the same.

Wizard9999":223ga4xa said:
skipdiver":223ga4xa said:
TFrench":223ga4xa said:
I use a 25mm bit in a magnetic holder, works for me.

Same here.

And me. Though I did have to buy a new magnetic holder as it appears I used up all the magnetism in my old one :?

Terry.

I have all mine on a magnetic holder, which keeps them topped up. In my caravan building days, when magnetic bit holders were not a thing, some bright spark in the factory had the idea of magnetising the bits for our Yankee screwdrivers. This was pre battery drill days and we had a huge magnet on wheels with a handle that was about 4ft wide that was wheeled up and down the factory by the labourers to pick up all the dropped screws and nails, to save puncturing the tyres as they moved down the production line. At night, all the tradesmen would be lining up to stick their screwdriver bits to it.

pcb1962":6x0ve9lj said:
DiscoStu":6x0ve9lj said:
Why do most people seem to like the 25mm bits? I find they get stuck in the screw heads occasionally and that's just annoying.
Why would the length of the bit make any difference to whether it gets stuck in the screw head? The tip should be exactly the same.

The length doesn't, but a 25mm bit has to go into a holder. A 50mm bit goes into the chuck directly so if it gets stuck then a 25mm pulls out of the holder but a 50mm won't come out of the chuck so effectively it doesn't get stuck.

It's a minor issue but it annoys me and I wondered if there was some big advantage with a 25mm as most seem to use them and I wondered if I was missing out.

DiscoStu":2o8glxp9 said:
pcb1962":2o8glxp9 said:
DiscoStu":2o8glxp9 said:

The length doesn't, but a 25mm bit has to go into a holder. A 50mm bit goes into the chuck directly so if it gets stuck then a 25mm pulls out of the holder but a 50mm won't come out of the chuck so effectively it doesn't get stuck.
OK, so the answer to that is to put your 25mm bit in one of these which is what I do in my Ryobi impact driver which I think is what you have. I can see how the 50mm bit eliminates the need for this, but Wera 50mm bits are more than 4 quid each :shock:

I had been using DeWalt bits, but after 50 or so I got a bit fed up with them, in approximately the same time period I am still using a Wera bit and still have four in the box, I wonder if they will ever get used. :lol:

Mike

Latest posts

Back