Which long drill bit for wooden table lamp?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a piece of Oak mantelpiece left over and I fancy having a go at making it into a rustic table lamp. I'll need to get myself a fairly long drill bit to let the cable through.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable bit? I've looked online at reviews, but I haven't found anything decent so far. I think perhaps an 8mm or 10mm, unsure if an auger bit would be suitable?

Keeping it central without it breaking out is your problem but how long is this hole ? If it is very long then one way I have put a hole through something is to cut it in half on the bandsaw, route a grove in each half and then glue back together.

I had to drill a 25mm hole thru a 1200mm long, 100mm square Oak newel post at the top of a landing so we could fit a light switch on, bought a set of long spade bits from SF and 2 extension pieces, probably more luck than judgement but got them through without too much pain, drilling from both ends.

newel switch.jpg

Next time I need to drill a seriously long hole in wood, one of the below will be my first choice.
Beware the nasty cheap Chinese sets of long drills which are as soft as cheese, but dangerous as they bend and break :-(
https://www.axminstertools.com/fisch-beam-drill-8mm-502146

That looks good, thanks very much!

Look out for a lamp auger, it's a long shell bit that you use through the tailstock. Not cheap but worth the investment

Thanks Tris. I'm a bit limited on space and my tailstock is very close to the shed wall when it's moved back from the headstock. Am I right in thinking that these are fed through the tailstock? BTW my lamp will be a rectangular piece and not turned round.

Am I right in thinking that these are fed through the tailstock?

With some modification to the guide bush and running the lathe in reverse, it might be possible to feed the bit through the headstock. Swarf removal might be a challenge (long, thin pipe on hoover).

Usually they are fed through the tailstock, you could go through the headstock but I think you'd have to have the lathe running in reverse to cut (not sure I've pictured it right tho).

If you've got a drill press you'd probably be ok with a forstner bit for 4-5 inches either side. I'd go with a 35mm bit from the underside and 8-10mm bit from the top, allows some wander without being obvious

I have seen in the past tool posts that were set up to take a lamp auger through them while holding the end of the wood much like a hollow tailstock would. Might be possible to make one from a plumbing or hydraulic Tee fitting.

Pete

I've got a piece of Oak mantelpiece left over and I fancy having a go at making it into a rustic table lamp. I'll need to get myself a fairly long drill bit to let the cable through.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable bit? I've looked online at reviews, but I haven't found anything decent so far. I think perhaps an 8mm or 10mm, unsure if an auger bit would be suitable?
I drilled an 8mm hole through 350 year old ceiling Oak Beam (Very hard but still smelled of Oak) with a long Zip bit (400mm) I used a mains powered AEG percussion hammer drill and got through in around 5 minutes. Without a proper percussion hammer drill and Zip bit I'm sure it would have been almost impossible.

Andy look up long hole boring auger it made specially for the job. I have a brand new one for sale.

Attachments

• 273935A2-AC78-497E-B58F-FA5AC66CF4B7.jpeg
    273935A2-AC78-497E-B58F-FA5AC66CF4B7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • E8A88794-A088-4186-87EE-A721B00AAB42.jpeg
    E8A88794-A088-4186-87EE-A721B00AAB42.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Andy look up long hole boring auger it made specially for the job. I have a brand new one for sale.
Cheers Mick. I've ordered a drill bit linked above for now, I'll see how I get on with it.

I don't think I have the space to use a long auger bit through the tailstock at the moment, the lathe is up against the end of the shed. I have a Scheppach HMS260 P/T to the left of the lathe and that takes up plenty of room. I'm in two minds about maybe selling the P/T, I've only used it once or twice since buying it. 🤔

Latest posts

Back