Where to Buy Dust Extractor hose For Sander? ( mirka)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
I realize it's my fault for not looking for the hose prices before actually taking the plunge and buying the super overpriced mirka.
But seriously £34 for a damn hose???

Anyone knows a place where they can be had for less or an alternative I could use? I don't mind duct-taping some another hose if I would have to.

do you know the diameter of the hose that you need? do you have any other hoses for other tools- it may be more useful to have an adaptor and a single hose, that several hoses to cover all tools.

marcros":1fgjg5eu said:
do you know the diameter of the hose that you need? do you have any other hoses for other tools- it may be more useful to have an adaptor and a single hose, that several hoses to cover all tools.

The adaptors seem very expensive for a simple plastic moulding - especially when one is probably going to have to cut it to size for each machine.

Has anybody overcome that problem, please?

MCB

It's £34, not £340. Buy the one that definitely fits and get on with making things. You'll get over the £34 much faster than you'll get over having a rubbish alternative that doesn't fit right and keeps popping out in the middle of using it.

Sporky McGuffin":hvrxsmou said:
It's £34, not £340. Buy the one that definitely fits and get on with making things. You'll get over the £34 much faster than you'll get over having a rubbish alternative that doesn't fit right and keeps popping out in the middle of using it.

Totally agree here or am I missing something? Even the official Mirka adapter is under a fiver. I'm confused how £34 and £5 are deemed expensive for any extraction equipment, let alone accessories for a Mirka sander.

As Sporky McGuffin says, buy the right tool for the job.

I don't know what someone in the trade earns, but my guess is that £34 is probably less than two hours' work. Probably less than one hour if you're good at it. ;)

Sporky McGuffin":1g4rf5e6 said:
I don't know what someone in the trade earns, but my guess is that £34 is probably less than two hours' work. Probably less than one hour if you're good at it. ;)

Depends if you live in fairy land or not, I guess.
Mirka stuff saves me hours (and I'm only a silly person DIYer) and have not found their prices expensive, far from it.

The mirka hose is not a basic standard vacuum hose, it is actually tapered along its length. The reason for doing this is to maximise the efficiency of the vacuum by compensating for loss over the 4 metre length.

Lonsdale73":2j7f7411 said:
sitefive":2j7f7411 said:
But seriously £34 for a damn hose???

Best not look up prices for Festool hoses, will give you palpitations.

I can confirm this, I once ordered four hoses in one order for a central system, a tad under £500 :cry:

From what I understand Mirka extractors are rebadged Nilfisk machines which you can buy for around £100.

https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/P ... sp?ID=7518

The smaller hose roughcut mentioned is still pretty useful and only about £15.
What I have never found (apart from a Lidl power takeoff hoover hose I once had, and subesquently trod on!) is a multifit adapter that fits all my tools, any ideas?

The Mirka hose and connector is exactly the same as the Festool design (sans the green highlight on the hose) the hose is even tapered so I suspect it's made in the same factory but sold for a third of the price...an advantage over the Festool design is the rubber connector can be easily screwed off ( reverse thread) and if you have a Mirka Deros (?) the hose will screw directly onto the sander exhaust for a more positive, low profile connection.

I'd do as previously suggested...pick one up and crack on with the projects, anything cheaper is likely to be a PITA. :D

Cheers, Jim

Sporky McGuffin":1ofw0taj said:
Or to put it another way, stop trying to save money, and start trying to make money.

I remembering my father saying that people with money had it because they knew how to make money and how to keep it. to my great regret I took little notice of what he said while he was alive, but later I am realised a lot of what he said was not as daft as I first thought. Increasing productivity by buying a more expensive tool may well be an investment, but I do struggle to see this with a hose if a reasonable alternative can be bought for less.

Terry.

Certainly if that's the case, but I'd be looking at the £34 and how many hours have been wasted trying to save half of that. The time wasted has a value in that it could be used to produce paying work; assuming you can save half the cost and end up with something good enough then spending over an hour on that search is counter-productive unless you earn less than £17 an hour. At a guess any skilled tradesperson ought to be earning more than that.

I'm not against shopping around and I'm certainly not against trying to get good value, but I think the process needs to be tempered or it's self-defeating.

Latest posts

Back