Where to Buy Dust Extractor hose For Sander? ( mirka)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest that a lot depends on whether one is using these tools as a business or as a hobby.

If using them professionally, then what one could earn in the time spent searching should be taken into account

If, on the other hand, it's a hobby, then the viewpoint changes. And perhaps searching for bargains gives the searcher pleasure - and that's the whole idea of a hobby.........isn't it?

MCB

Sporky McGuffin":3v8305tv said:
Certainly if that's the case, but I'd be looking at the £34 and how many hours have been wasted trying to save half of that. The time wasted has a value in that it could be used to produce paying work; assuming you can save half the cost and end up with something good enough then spending over an hour on that search is counter-productive unless you earn less than £17 an hour. At a guess any skilled tradesperson ought to be earning more than that.

I'm not against shopping around and I'm certainly not against trying to get good value, but I think the process needs to be tempered or it's self-defeating.

You are right, but then the OP just made one post asking his question, we are the ones wasting our time debating the merits of his buying decision :lol: .

More seriously, if you use time that could be spent doing billable work to look for the hose it does not make sense. But if you do it at home at a time you would not be working when the other half is watching something on the TV you don't like I would suggest the opportunity cost of looking for a cheaper hose would be pretty small.

Terry.

MCB":3nr4labg said:
If, on the other hand, it's a hobby, then the viewpoint changes. And perhaps searching for bargains gives the searcher pleasure

Most of the research suggests that that's not the case though - for most people, the longer people spend on a decision, the less satisfied they are with whatever they end up choosing.

Sporky McGuffin":14r2insi said:
MCB":14r2insi said:
If, on the other hand, it's a hobby, then the viewpoint changes. And perhaps searching for bargains gives the searcher pleasure

Most of the research suggests that that's not the case though - for most people, the longer people spend on a decision, the less satisfied they are with whatever they end up choosing.

I must be abnormal then because I have spent a long and enjoyable times visiting shops and researching purchases.

When I've followed a “gut instinct” I've been disappointed; that was the case, for example, with a Wet & Dry vacuum that I bought earlier in the year and sent back to the retailer within a few days.

MCB

I'd say fortunate rather than abnormal!

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't do research before a purchase, just that there is a risk that it becomes agonisation. Where there's a simple, obvious solution, it's often a good one.

Sporky if you earn those £34 in less than an hour than sure you wouldn't care about the price of some hose... But seriously most of people don't have money just to throw away on things like these which are overpriced by 10x.

Ended up buying a new henry hoover to use solely for sander dust extraction and what would you know... the hose it came with fits straight on the mirka like a glove, just need to clamp it down a bit , saw that they had the same size hoses and had to buy a dust extractor for the sander anyway.

sitefive":39r6ezol said:
Sporky if you earn those £34 in less than an hour than sure you wouldn't care about the price of some hose... But seriously most of people don't have money just to throw away on things like these which are overpriced by 10x.

Ended up buying a new henry hoover to use solely for sander dust extraction and what would you know... the hose it came with fits straight on the mirka like a glove, just need to clamp it down a bit , saw that they had the same size hoses and had to buy a dust extractor for the sander anyway.

To be fair sitefive, spending £34 for the right accessory for a £300+ sander is not throwing money away. That's £8.5 a meter, hardly folly or foolhardy.

I can see the aspect of cutting costs where possible, however to invest in a Mirka ROS and to then penny pinch by buying something that may make do and needs 'clamping' smacks of disregard for the initial investment in the sander itself.

Once I will earn those £34 in less than an hour all day long maybe I will change my decision making process.
Until Than this system gives totally dust free sanding at 73-75db! Old sander gave me 90db without dust extractor, with a record dust extractor It would have sounded like a jet taking off at 100+ db.
DSC_0752.jpg

Latest posts

Back