Sander and vacuum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vacuum is under the bench & similarly I didn’t want to be climbing under it to change plugs so I simply wired a double socket above the bench via a 3 pin plug from the vacs power take off. My chop saw is permanently plugged into the one outlet & the power tool I’m using at the bench into the other, obviously I don’t use both at the same time so as not to overload the vac but have found this a great solution & would work off any vac with a power take off.
That's kinda genius, you could use a short 4 way extension lead and have all your power tools plugged in at same time as long as their power cables reached. It's not like you will ever have multiple power tools on at the same time.

That's kinda genius, you could use a short 4 way extension lead and have all your power tools plugged in at same time as long as their power cables reached. It's not like you will ever have multiple power tools on at the same time.
Plus if you were worried you could always put a low rated fuse in the 3 pin plug that plugged into the vacuum, one that corresponds with the maximum output of the vac.

looks really good, however, no bluetooth and ideally I would prefer L or M rated so I think the Midi makes more sense even if a bit more…
mine is m rated as far as i know, it comes with a hepa filter, or its available as an option, the bags are supplied with different ratings i think, this festool forum page explains it better then i can Difference between L and M class dust extractors and i dont need the bluetooth as i plug the tool into the front of the extractor, it comes on automatically when i switch the tool on.it has the cheaper type of hose without a sleeve. im by no means a festool junkie, but have their tracksaw and domino, the sander was an expensive pill to swallow, but i did loads of research before buying, i dont regret it . and it means i often just leave the lead plugged in and just switch over tools . of course its a pain if i use my dewalt or makita tools with hose compatability, but thats the same for every brand, i just
Interesting as I was just about to buy the CT15 and had same thoughts about limited volume collection. Which cyclone have you used with it?
cant remember the brand, its a small cyclone head with a steel 5 gallon bucket, came as a kit i had to make 2 adaptors so my hoses would fit, it works great , i got it from the dark lord bezos on amazon for about 80 quid if i remember right. or you could just get a cheap cyclone head and add your own container underneath.

final outcome - have ordered:
- Festool CTL Midi vaccuum
- Festool bluetooth remote
- Festool ETS EC 150/5 sander
- lots of 3m Xtract Cubitron sanding disks

looking forward to a quieter and cleaner workshop!
Perfect! Where did you get the cubitron from and how many discs did you need to buy? I could only seem to find them for sale in packs of 50.

Perfect! Where did you get the cubitron from and how many discs did you need to buy? I could only seem to find them for sale in packs of 50.
I might have bought in packs of 50 - seemed cheap when also buying a Festool sander and vacuum :)
They are about 60p a disk but all the reviews I see suggest that you shouldn't be put off by the price as actually a metric such as price per cubic metre of wood removed (or similar) is actually cheaper than some of the cheap sanding disks. There is an argument that the price per wood removed is the only relevant metric, but I would also argue for speed of removal as I prefer to spend a little bit more to buy time and am fortunate to be able to do so - on all the metrics the cubitron did well and my friend who lent me his vacuum and sander to try also lent me xtract cubitron disks to try and they are superb

sanding disks from Amazon
all other bits from D & M Tools - who were superb to deal with - as well as being a very good price I ordered and an hour later realised I had bought the wrong vacuum(the battery one when I wanted corded!) I phoned them back, they answered almost instantly and the chap sprinted over to the warehouse and was in time to remove that box and replace it with the correct 240v version. As they were also doing a deal with the 240v version and the bluetooth remote he then refunded £12.99 - quite impressive as I had already received the DPD notification that they were on the way to collect my items! All sorted smoothly and very graciously considering I was the one who messed up - though as he said, easier than my having to return items!

I might have bought in packs of 50 - seemed cheap when also buying a Festool sander and vacuum :)
They are about 60p a disk but all the reviews I see suggest that you shouldn't be put off by the price as actually a metric such as price per cubic metre of wood removed (or similar) is actually cheaper than some of the cheap sanding disks. There is an argument that the price per wood removed is the only relevant metric, but I would also argue for speed of removal as I prefer to spend a little bit more to buy time and am fortunate to be able to do so - on all the metrics the cubitron did well and my friend who lent me his vacuum and sander to try also lent me xtract cubitron disks to try and they are superb

sanding disks from Amazon
all other bits from D & M Tools - who were superb to deal with - as well as being a very good price I ordered and an hour later realised I had bought the wrong vacuum(the battery one when I wanted corded!) I phoned them back, they answered almost instantly and the chap sprinted over to the warehouse and was in time to remove that box and replace it with the correct 240v version. As they were also doing a deal with the 240v version and the bluetooth remote he then refunded £12.99 - quite impressive as I had already received the DPD notification that they were on the way to collect my items! All sorted smoothly and very graciously considering I was the one who messed up - though as he said, easier than my having to return items!
Cheers
Yeah I'm totally on board with paying more to save time, I just don't want to buy 50discs of each grit. I might have to.

final outcome - have ordered:
- Festool CTL Midi vaccuum
- Festool bluetooth remote
- Festool ETS EC 150/5 sander
- lots of 3m Xtract Cubitron sanding disks

looking forward to a quieter and cleaner workshop!
you wont regret the sander, happy sanding..if there is such a thing

I'm curious, has any of you used the Sianet (net) discs from the Swiss manufacturer SIA? I'd be very curious on how the two compare. Their price here is twice as much as the UK price. I still have some Sianet discs. Would get the 3m but I can't afford to experiment yet.

Back