Shop Vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Lewis

Reaction score
Hi all.

Newbie here.

I've just built myself a small workshop, and for health (and sanity!) reasons have started to investigate what to do about dust.

At the moment, I've only got a few small tools - a circular saw and track saw, belt and random orbital sander (about to add a spindle sander), mitre saw and palm router. I'll soon be adding a larger router mounted in a bench, and a table saw, most likely the Dewalt 7485.

I understand that I should be looking at a hplv type "shop vac" for use with the saws and sanders - I just wondered if anyone could offer any recommendations? Budget will not stretch to anything like the Festool midi - looking at something sub £200 and potentially adding a cyclone to it. I would like a tool socket on the vacuum, and preferably something not too noisy. I've found a couple of reasonably priced options such as the Dewalt DXV23PTA, Trend T33a (review suggest this ones extremely noisy!) and a really cheap option in the Titan TTB776VAC. Only one of these (the Trend) is M class, but I'm not sure if it's the machines themselves that get rated as M class, or if this is down to the filters that go in them? I did come across a Festool CT15E for £250 - is this any better than other options, or is it more expensive just because its Festool? I have noticed many people praising Nilfisk machines - the Attix 30-01 looks to be powerful, pretty quiet and with power tool take off, but again doesn't appear to be class M rated.

Could anyone offer advice? Am I overthinking this and most machines in this price range are likely to give me more or less the same dust protection?

Thanks all.

What's got me freaked a bit is all I've been reading about the dust particles we don't see - should I be looking at some sort of air filter / purifier, in addition to the vac?

Good call Sporky - I already suffer from tinitus, have done for years, so will make sure I buy a pair before the weekend :)

Thanks all.

What's got me freaked a bit is all I've been reading about the dust particles we don't see - should I be looking at some sort of air filter / purifier, in addition to the vac?

Good call Sporky - I already suffer from tinitus, have done for years, so will make sure I buy a pair before the weekend :)

I work on the principle of taking ‘personal’ responsibility of my lungs so I don’t just leave it to the vac to do it. Who’s to say a HEPA vac is working optimally? Do people buy them and never change filter, and think they are ‘protected and safe’?

I use my shop vac to remove a lot of dust at source and wear one of these: Elipse® P3 Respirator | GVS

The 3M Peltor black and red ones are good - lots of attenuation, and I find them very comfy. Quite handy that they do over-the-head and behind-the-head versions so you can wear them with masks and goggles and visors.

I have a big ducted dust extraction system in my workshop. I also hook up a Henry to my tracksaw and ROS, I have an air cleaner as well, and I still wear a mask for anything I think is making significant uncontrolled dust. The air cleaner is well worth it in my view, especially one with a timer that you can set off and leave to run for a few hours after you're finished. I think it makes a noticeable difference to how clean the workshop stays - it prevents that fine film of dust everywhere which otherwise settles over time.

Lambcrafter, do you wear it the whole time you're in your workshop, or just during cutting/sanding? I use this respirator. It's comfortable enough, but not for use all day.

Sporky - I just had a quick look around and these look like some of the best ones available with a noise reduction of 30 odd dbs! Thanks mate - I'll definitely pick a pair of these up. An air cleaner definitely sounds like a good idea - I'd like to clean as much of that fine dust from the air as possible. May I ask what model you use? I've seen people hanging these (I think they're the same) from the ceiling. Sadly, my ceiling is low (to get out of applying for planning) and I'd be banging my head on it all the time if I did this - do you think they'd be as effective on a benchtop?

Cheers Harry. I had looked at the Nilfisk Aero, and the cheaper Multi II 22T (the only difference I notice other than the capacity is that the PTTO on the cheaper one is restricted to 1100W). Could I ask, what benefot this might have over, for example, the previously mentioned Wickes machine?

I have a Jet one, probably 8 years old or so. They all seem to be a big radial blower in a box with filters though. It did need a new capacitor on the control board a few years ago, otherwise it's been a trooper.

I reckon it'd do an OK job high on a wall halfway down the room.

Lambcrafter, do you wear it the whole time you're in your workshop, or just during cutting/sanding? I use this respirator. It's comfortable enough, but not for use all day.

Sporky - I just had a quick look around and these look like some of the best ones available with a noise reduction of 30 odd dbs! Thanks mate - I'll definitely pick a pair of these up. An air cleaner definitely sounds like a good idea - I'd like to clean as much of that fine dust from the air as possible. May I ask what model you use? I've seen people hanging these (I think they're the same) from the ceiling. Sadly, my ceiling is low (to get out of applying for planning) and I'd be banging my head on it all the time if I did this - do you think they'd be as effective on a benchtop?

My ‘workshop’ is a single garage. If I’m in there doing non-dusty work I don’t wear the face mask. However, if I do some cutting/sanding then I wear it for that and for some time after. I typically have one of the garage doors open so there is a draft to reduce the dust. Not a ‘professional’ setup, I know.

I'd be a bit wary of using a loud shop vac. I use a Einhell with power take off (v useful) but lordy is it loud, louder than my all my power tools including my table router. I'm already getting fed up transferring the hose from one tool to another so I'd think about a simple dust extraction system. I've read good reviews from this model Buy High Filtration Dust Collector - 50 Litre online at Rutlands.com for fine dust but I've never used one. I echo others that recommend using a P3 face mask and ear defenders as well (3M are excellent and money well spent) and also a vacuum tool kit to vac your workshop.

Last edited:
I use my shop vac to remove a lot of dust at source and wear one of these: Elipse® P3 Respirator | GVS
Just to make sure, I sleep wearing one! , but seriously I think these masks are great. They fit really well. My glasses never steam up, I can wear ear protection as well. They have replaceable filters, which are reasonably priced. I have 4 masks scattered around. One has carbon filters for welding. I like that they can be taken to bits and completely cleaned out, including all the flap valves. The valves last forever, they don't go hard, so continue to seal well, The elastic eventually goes, but after years.

I have several pairs of ear protection, The 3M are the best. There is a huge difference between ear defenders and I'm half deaf!!

Hi Al,

I’ve just recently bought the Trend T32L M class vac for similar reasons, to hook up to machine tools such as sander etc, pleased with its performance so far. M Class rated for the really fine dust.

I thought capacity could be greater before I purchased but in practice it’s not been an issue, the unit provides a warning when it’s getting full and I can always purchase a larger collector and cyclone if needed later. I have a larger capacity Axminster extractor for my lathe, so this is just for my smaller tools.

As for noise, it’s quieter than both a friends £400 Festool, and my larger Axminster unit.

In addition, am about to purchase Record Power AC400 air filter, friends workshop has one and seems to not suffer from the layer of fine dust.

Bought from Powertool World, good price and next day delivery:

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/trend-t32l-20l-m-class-vacuum-cleaner-dust-extractor-800-watts-115v

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be a bit wary of using a loud shop vac. I use a Einhell with power take off (v useful) but lordy is it loud, louder than my all my power tools including my table router. I'm already getting fed up transferring the hose from one tool to another so I'd think about a simple dust extraction system. I've read good reviews from this model Buy High Filtration Dust Collector - 50 Litre online at Rutlands.com for fine dust but I've never used one. I echo others that recommend using a P3 face mask and ear defenders as well (3M are excellent and money well spent) and also a vacuum tool kit to vac your workshop.
I’m fortunate that my garage, which is attached to the house, has a sloping roof that creates a loft space (~6ft at the high point). My vac lives up there and is taken down, as necessary, to empty it. The vac hose then comes through the loft floor into the mid point of the garage. This reduces the noise somewhat. I do plan to add a cyclone/bin in the garage space so the vac doesn’t need emptying so often but ‘management’ has a list of jobs for the inside of the house.

Like others, I also wear ear defenders, when necessary…..but all my noise reduction is moot with my playing Kerrang radio! It’s a very metal workshop for woodworking.

I have a Jet one, probably 8 years old or so. They all seem to be a big radial blower in a box with filters though. It did need a new capacitor on the control board a few years ago, otherwise it's been a trooper.

I reckon it'd do an OK job high on a wall halfway down the room.
Yes I have had a jet one for about 10 years and same problem with the capacitor but all good again now. My workshop is 45 feet long and 15 wide and I noticed once that the air moves in a great big circle the full size of the room, at the height of the machine – just how I don’t understand, it does seem to do a good job, whin I empty it it’s quite staggering the amount of ultra fine dust that’s in it.
I can’t see why not to use it flat on a wall as described. Ian

Hi Al,

I’ve just recently bought the Trend T32L M class vac for similar reasons, to hook up to machine tools such as sander etc, pleased with its performance so far. M Class rated for the really fine dust.

I thought capacity could be greater before I purchased but in practice it’s not been an issue, the unit provides a warning when it’s getting full and I can always purchase a larger collector and cyclone if needed later. I have a larger capacity Axminster extractor for my lathe, so this is just for my smaller tools.

As for noise, it’s quieter than both a friends £400 Festool, and my larger Axminster unit.

In addition, am about to purchase Record Power AC400 air filter, friends workshop has one and seems to not suffer from the layer of fine dust.

Bought from Powertool World, good price and next day delivery:

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/trend-t32l-20l-m-class-vacuum-cleaner-dust-extractor-800-watts-115v
Don't know if it's just me or not but your link takes me to Duracell batteries

Back