What's in your first aid arsenal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy rivers

Established Member
Reaction score
After my finger fell out with the trimming router (new baby sleep deprivation, cause I'm usually perfect - yeah right! - It's the third time my fingers have played HI 5 with a router!) ... I reached for my old friend HYPAFIX. I thought I'd share as this stuff is brilliant for veneering fleshy bits back on. It's a sticky-back, breathable, stretchy, water-resistant, butterfly stitch like stuff. It can be cut into strips or patches and slipped into a wallet for those special times.

Anyone else got any essentials they keep in their first aid arsenal? (hammer)

Cheers Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 22.23.58.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 22.23.58.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 223
Duct tape works well for when the chisel skips and stabs your hand.
Mitre Bond normally holds up until you get seen at A&E.
A (rather eccentric) friend of mine insists on pissing on every scratch and cut he gets at work - he's a lumberjack so gets cut quite often. And he stinks like a car-park stairwell

Urine is sterile, so its a good way of cooling a burn immediately for example if theres no water or ice available. And it could wash away foreign bodies from a cut (depending on the amount of lager consumed the previous evening), but its not antiseptic. It wont stop his finger getting infected if the splinter is deep.

I always have Micropore tape to hand. The small size 12.5mm is very useful, but I do have some wider tape available. We also have a box of normal plastets of various sizes. The Micropore trape will hold far better than normal plasters and when there is a wide cut, several layers can stay on for days.

urine is sterile in the bladder... but your urethra has its own flora and fauna so not strictly true however unlikely to be any nasties

To tell the truth , I'm not really sure what's in the kit since my wife took it over. When my health annoyances started a few years back she took it on herself to "look after" me. When I attempt to use a dangerous item like a butter knife or a shoe horn she posts herself just out of reach and offers to help if needed. The basement shop was a bit of a bone of contention til I pointed out that if she tried to stop me going down the stairs , we would probably both fall, and if she did not let go of my chisel , one of us was almost certain to get cut. Before I got all delicate , if I fell down the stairs carrying a dozen knives , she would ask me to " hold it down please , I'm watching television". But now that she has read all the side affects of my cancer meds (and researched them thoroughly on the internet) I don't need to worry about first aid kits. I need to worry if she is checking prices on portable defibrillators!!!

Back