What WONT stick to wood glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugget

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Sorry if this is yet another silly question.....One day I hope to stop asking silly questions but for now please help!

I need to glue (with normal white wood glue) some small pieces of veneer to a project and they need to be clamped into position.
As they are only narrow but long bits i want to hold them in place with a piece of wood and clamp the wood to press the veneers down. Obviously the clamping wood will end up being glued as well, would a sheet of greaseproof paper between the 2 work or would that end up being glued also???

Any helpfull tips??

Thanks
Dave

acetal is next to impossible to glue with anything when you want to. Can you get any old ohp slides from anywhere, or a bit of it from a plastics supplier?

I just cut up ordinary plastic bags and interpose them between what I don't want glued. Never had a problem.

Even if you use plastic, you will end up with glue on the top of the veneer and will need to remove it. PVA is not easy to sand.
An alternative approach would be to use hide glue - the liquid ready to use sort would be fine and is readily available. This has the big advantage that it is as easy as wood to sand off. The trad technique would be to use newspaper between the work and the clamps. Some of the paper will stick to the work; the rest can be peeled away - and it's weak enough to not pull off the veneer. Any remaining paper fibres can just be sanded off along with any surplus glue.

Parcel tape. You can stick it to your pads which saves manoeuvring it in separately.

A technique that I have used for gluing up some guitar based items was to use a liberal scribbling of candle wax along the wooden caul used for clamping. It works, but might not be ideal if you are worried about the wax affecting the rest of the surface of the item.
If you are going down the greaseproof paper route, I have also used Warburtons bread (toastie loaf) wrappers, which seem to be preloaded with non-gluable stuff.

Cheers,
Adam

Eric The Viking":3cp5tp2a said:
And to answer the original question - I've used greaseproof on occasion. It seems to be as good as plastic, but why not test some by making a sandwich with glue, greaseproof two wood scraps and a G-clamp?

Not in that order, obviously :)

Vikings clearly have stronger teeth than mere mortals :p (I'll get my coat)

nugget":2pwyrdvu said:
Hi Sorry if this is yet another silly question.....One day I hope to stop asking silly questions but for now please help!

I need to glue (with normal white wood glue) some small pieces of veneer to a project and they need to be clamped into position.
As they are only narrow but long bits i want to hold them in place with a piece of wood and clamp the wood to press the veneers down. Obviously the clamping wood will end up being glued as well, would a sheet of greaseproof paper between the 2 work or would that end up being glued also???

Any helpfull tips??

Thanks
Dave

Dave;

Silly questions often result in some serious answers.
:wink:

Another vote for parcel tape from me. I've never had the need, but I'd probably try that sheet-stick-on-plastic that you can buy in rolls from Smiths if I wanted to protect a larger area than the width of a bit of parcel tape.

Back