Is there such a thing as a non-stick clamping caul blocks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziplock9000

Established Member
Reaction score
As you can see in this image I'm gluing two boards together with two sash clamps. I'm also holding the ends of each board where they meet level with two G-clamps.
To avoid them making a dent into the soft wood and also not stick to the glue I added some grease proof paper and thin pieces of MDF. This process was a bit of a fiddly hassle.
It got me thinking, are there no cheap and easy non-stick clamping caul blocks? Maybe silicone or something else that will be strong enough and not stick?

20240322_121826.jpg

I use bits of laminate flooring.
I notice you haven't used any protection on the sash jaws to avoid indentation.
Also protect the sash bar. If this were oak and using a water based glue, you could get a nasty black stain.
Brian

Yeah another vote for clingfilm, I also wrap it round my clamps when using pu glue as it seems to get everywhere
I found foil to be more effective for PU glue ups, the foil tops from tubs of spread (marge etc) seem a good size and shape.

I use drafting/masking tape on clamp jaws and sash clamp bars, or on the workpiece itself.

Parcel tape. Melamine coated chip works well for clamping blocks but not at the exposed chip edges

I use bits of laminate flooring.
I notice you haven't used any protection on the sash jaws to avoid indentation.
Also protect the sash bar. If this were oak and using a water based glue, you could get a nasty black stain.
Brian
The first time I forgot and completely got away with it, so I've continued for the next 4 glue ups and got away with it then. I know I shouldn't though and will use the same caul blocks that I'm hoping to find.

Back