What was the last film you watched and

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched a thing called Kill Bill the other night. Out of sheer curiosity, I stuck with it, but I've not seen such a load of absolute tosh in a long time. And the BBC rating gave it 4 stars!

Never again. :(

No skills":16hgg68m said:
If you saw that hot tub time machine film you might retract that statement :shock:

...but if he were a bigger star, he wouldn;t have to pay the bills by doing tosh like that :wink:

Re Kill Bill - IMO, Tarantino produced one great film (Res. Dogs), two entertaining films (Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown). Everything else has been increasingly childish and unpleasant.

I'd have to pretty much agree with your there about Tarantino. He's seriously over rated based on a couple of good films early in his career. I quite enjoyed Inglourious Basterds from 2009 but it wasn't a patch on Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction. Are you familiar with the films of Kevin Smith? You'll either love or hate his work (he's also gone down hill a bit recently) but I think Chasing Amy has to be one of the best things ever committed to film.

Oh! So it was a Tarantino film I watched!!!

It was full of completely unbelievable scenes of Samurai sword duels. (The Female lead disposes of so may villains in five minutes, that I couldn't count them! Mind blowing farfetchedness if you ask me. I didn't find reservoir Dogs that appealing either.
I was mildly interested in 'Inglorious Basterds', but even that wasn't true to History was it?
I think the guy who played the lead, (Brad Pitt?) did another film, in which he was a similar kind of ruthless, vengeful character, but the details slip me by. He'd be a good choice to play Jack Reacher. Far better proposition than Cruise!!!

Oh well, I'll look out some Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves films. I think they are good together.

Benchwayze":1a46js5j said:
Oh well, I'll look out some Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves films. I think they are good together.

no - dont - really.

"Theres a bomb on the bus"

Sandra Bullcok has only done one decent movie - 28days - where she is an alcoholic and has to enter rehab, if you havent seen it - do.

As for dissing "the bride" - how dare you !!!! :)

Gill":dg87qx4o said:
Come on, how many members here saw Black Swan? I dare you... :twisted:

Just once specific scene - over and over ;-)

Loz,

Looks like my education re Sandra Bullock, 'The Bride' and 'Black Swan' is totally inadequate.
Haven't a clue. ... (Well, okay, I did see 'Speed'! ) :lol:

Benchwayze":1q9nv12n said:

It was full of completely unbelievable scenes of Samurai sword duels. (The Female lead disposes of so may villains in five minutes, that I couldn't count them! Mind blowing farfetchedness if you ask me.

Kill Bill is not really meant to be realistic, it is a homage to the movies that Tarantino loved. Trash movies, manga anime, kung fu, Samurai, exploitation and spaghetti western. It was always designed to be style over substance, you really need to have some knowledge of these genres to get all the clues. That said many enjoy it for what it is.

The part you reference was inspired by the last Bruce Lee film, Game of Death. Uma even wears a very similar costume to Bruce Lee

uma_brucelee.jpg

Tarantino's B movie efforts were mostly a miss for me, except for Death Proof - enjoyed it muchly.

Pulp Fiction is one of my favourite films, Dog's was ok as was I.B. - Jackie Brown is a mixed bag for me, I actually fell asleep at the cinema watching it :oops: watched it last month in 3 sessions, its ok I think but an hour too long.

Anybody for Das Boot directors cut?? :)

Benchwayze":1sehs7v9 said:
(Brad Pitt?) did another film, in which he was a similar kind of ruthless, vengeful character, but the details slip me by. He'd be a good choice to play Jack Reacher. Far better proposition than Cruise!!!

Or Matt Damon - he'd be a top Jack Reacher, (and approaching the height requirement!).

But I bet Cruise will do a good job of it - just v different from the books.

I know of a bad Submarine film.

'Ice Station Zebra'.

It's a thriller set aboard a submarine. A good thriller too, but there's an 'impossible' scene in it which couldn't occur in real-time. Namely the flooding of the torpedo compartment through the torpedo tube.

It couldn't happen in a modern sub, because after H.M. Submarine Thetis sank in Liverpool Bay in 1939, a special door-clip (The Thetis Clip) was fitted to all subs thereafter. This clip was a screw clip, which made it possible, if necessary, to close doors against sea pressure. The sub in the film would have had one of these clips fitted, (even a US sub! ) This spoilt the film for me. It's difficult to explain how this clip works, so if you want an interesting read:

http://www.secondworldwar.org.uk/britsubthetis.html

:D

loz":jt0cixul said:
Sandra Bullcok has only done one decent movie - 28days - where she is an alcoholic and has to enter rehab, if you havent seen it - do.

nope! you clearly haven't seen The Blind Side, fantastic.

oh and miss congeniality 2! :lol:

adidat

gregmcateer":2ly07qhx said:
Benchwayze":2ly07qhx said:
(Brad Pitt?) did another film, in which he was a similar kind of ruthless, vengeful character, but the details slip me by. He'd be a good choice to play Jack Reacher. Far better proposition than Cruise!!!

Or Matt Damon - he'd be a top Jack Reacher, (and approaching the height requirement!).

But I bet Cruise will do a good job of it - just v different from the books.

Gregg

I think they should have found someone relatively unknown, just as they did with the Bond movies when they cast Sean Connery. I don't think Cruise will make a good job of it. Not to judge from the trailer. He just isn't big enough to be convincing, and he's always just... well... Tom Cruise! David Morse would have suited ten years ago. Even Ed Harris, but not Cruise!

I admit U-571 wasn't the greatest film ever made but I wouldn't say it was "Speed 2 - Cruise Control" bad (although I have to admit the re-write of history got my goat). Ice Station Zebra is very much a film of it's era, worth a watch on a Saturday afternoon.

cutting42":31z0vc5w said:
Benchwayze":31z0vc5w said:

It was full of completely unbelievable scenes of Samurai sword duels. (The Female lead disposes of so may villains in five minutes, that I couldn't count them! Mind blowing farfetchedness if you ask me.

Kill Bill is not really meant to be realistic, it is a homage to the movies that Tarantino loved. Trash movies, manga anime, kung fu, Samurai, exploitation and spaghetti western. It was always designed to be style over substance, you really need to have some knowledge of these genres to get all the clues. That said many enjoy it for what it is.

The part you reference was inspired by the last Bruce Lee film, Game of Death. Uma even wears a very similar costume to Bruce Lee
I have to accept what you say Gareth. Although I am quite tolerant of Spag/West films, I still found 'Kill Bill' a bit OTT. As I did the one Bruce Lee film I watched. I'd rather see Segal strut his stuff. I know he can actually do a fisticuffs gig. I'm told Bruce Lee could too, but the slow motion cuts turn me off.
Just taste I guess. (Although I don't have all that much taste when it comes to films, and I can swallow some real rubbish at times! E.g., 'Face Off'. :lol: :lol:

Almost forgot. I watched 'Con Air' again last night. That film satisfies base instincts on a number of levels for me; especially the desire to see the 'baddie' get his or hers! :mrgreen:

Back