What was the last film you watched and

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SammyQ":2x8u394h said:
Hokay! Contentious remark No.46....Noel, I see your "Grosse Point Blank " and I raise you....."Page Eight". I dare to describe it as the thinking man's Le Carre, with intelligent dialogue. I further raise you "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close".

What was contentious remark No 45 I hear you ask? Easy: "Q: Define Urban Myth? A: Sinatra could sing" :-"

Sam

Haven't watched those two Sammy but will have a look.

W/Cogs wrote:
Would the people with most excellent taste (and the rest of you I suppose ) also agree that Gattaca is an excellent but somewhat underrated film? I read the other day that the US are considering making gene sequencing illegal without consent which is pretty much the opening the film.

Haven't seen Gattaca.

Some good flicks mentioned, some not so good (imho).

A quick list of stuff I thought was good/great/fantastic in no particular order:

High Fidelity
Casablanca
Vertigo
Kill Bill series
Pulp Fiction
R Dogs
Se7en
The man who shot L Valance
North by Northwest
Most of the Ealing comedies
There's something about Mary
Thelma and Louise
The Shawshank Redemption
The Mexican
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
No Country for Old Men
Well, most Coen Bros films
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks TV series
Shallow Grave
The Bourne films x 3
Le Cop (1984 version)
Diva
Subway
Highlander (the original)
The Unbearable Likeness Of Being
Sex, Lies & Videotape
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources
Once Upon A Time In America
Heat
Trainspotting
The Sting
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
Great Escape
Oceans 11
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
The Big Blue
Nikita (the Jean Reno version)
French Kiss
Leon
Leaving Las Vegas
Birdy
The Grifters
Killing Fields
Eat The Peach
The Commitments
The Field
The Snapper
Waking Ned
The General
The Van
Long Good Friday

I could go on.........

There's certainly some excellent films in that list Noel. I have a friend who is crazy about three Bourne films, I thought they were ok but not absolutely great. We watched a cracker last night: "Seven Pounds" with Will Smith. You'd have to have no heart not to start welling up a some point. We rate all the films we watch over a imdb, I find it really useful if we want to rewatch something as we can avoid the rubbish.

I love 'Oh Brother' too, much under-appreciated classic that makes me laugh every time I watch it.

I don't think anyones mentioned 2001 A Space Odyssey. A milestone in Sci-Fi.

I've seen Jackie Brown so many times now I can say the dialogue with them, but I still enjoy it. Brilliant acting, well-paced, just fun. In fact I enjoy lots of Tarantino, with the exception of Inglorius Basterds (or whatever), as he really didn't pull it off.

Best movie, probably Desperado (Hayek/Banderas), with cameos from Tarantino, etc. I still don't know why the third in the series wasn't as good (but it wasn't). The first one was too low budget, but Rodriguez did something amazing with #2.

Cohen brothers? No Country for Old Men is brilliant, as is Fargo, and Miller's Crossing.

Gangsters: Road to Perdition, Last Man Standing

Bruce Willis: The Fifth Element (totally silly and fun)

Sci-Fi: Dark Star (love the Alien)

Sci-fact: Apollo 13 (got it in HD-DVD, and the player still works!)

The original Day of the Jackal - chilling, witty and clever.
The original Italian Job ('nuff said)

Oh, and Lionel Bart's Oliver...

I'm weird.

E.

I must be the only person who couldn't understand what 'A Space Odyssey' was all about. Bored me to the off switch.
I might try again one day, 'cos I usually enjoy Rossiter's more serious work. 8)

I really enjoyed 'The Navigator', 'Batteries Not Included', and that Sci-Fi movie about the robot that looked like an Army bomb defusing tractor. Can't remember what it was called. So there you go. That's my level as far as Sci-Fi goes! :mrgreen:

Without doubt the best thing I've seen for a long long time was "Hugo". Ordinarily, I would probably have avoided anything by Scorsese as I'm not a fan of blood and gore but in this case the subject matter including the true story of Méliès ( the old black and white film pioneer) and ancient automata made this an exception. Absolutely brilliant in every respect, 11/10, probably joint favourite of mine now with Amelie

Rod

Caldinarod":d3p6s37j said:
Without doubt the best thing I've seen for a long long time was "Hugo". Ordinarily, I would probably have avoided anything by Scorsese as I'm not a fan of blood and gore but in this case the subject matter including the true story of Méliès ( the old black and white film pioneer) and ancient automata made this an exception. Absolutely brilliant in every respect, 11/10
Rod

I quite enjoyed this one too, especially visually. I thought flavour of the month Chloe Moretz was actually the weakest aspect.

Exit Through the Gift Shop
8/10

Film about graffiti artists like Banksy. Very good indeed

Guy Richie, enjoyed some - havent seen others - thought WTF at one in particular...

Lock stock/Snatch/Rocknrolla - enjoyed
Sherlock holmes 1/2 - not seen
Revolver - WTF! too much time with madge messed with his head I think.

Whilst on the subject of Guy's (bad link, so sorry..) how about Guy Pearce? saw lock out a while ago and enjoyed it, The proposition was good in places, not seen Momento yet tho.

Try LA Confidential, superb, although haven't seen Lockout.

Forgot about that one on my earlier list along with The Usual Suspects.

Latest posts

Back