What kind of woodworker are you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I was talking to a friend who is a 1st fix carpenter about how we refer to ourselves as far as our woodwork goes, like a lot of others on building sites he prefers chippy which I know to anyone outside of construction would be an insult. This got me thinking (dangerous I know but it does happen from time to time) what would you guys consider yourself, until I discovered woodturning I would have said that I'm a keen and able DIYer that could do most basic woodworking, a year on from my first turning I would now class myself as an amateur woodturner.
Over to you guys.

I think of myself firstly as a hobbyist wood worker. I've been doing it for forty years now. But, I do dabble in any and everything so I suppose I could just use the generic term Maker to describe myself too.

amateur guitar maker and tool and now I guess knife maker, but have made cases and cabinetry from time to time.

If you are in the field (of woodworking), your terminology is going to be more grounded and specific than that of the average householder, who often thinks that more or less anyone who works wood is a 'carpenter'.

I am not a carpenter. ;-)

I've tried my hands at a lot of things but stool bench's and chairs are my thing so I guess technically I'm a bodger

Furniture maker. I'll try anything. Vacuum forming,laminates marquetry and other veneering, techniques, traditional methods,modern methods, whatever material, be that wood,ferrous etc,
I like to redesign furniture of the past.

Mid century modern i suppose is the style i lean towards, or contemporary.
Because I'm college trained, they give you grounding in just about everything.

Workshop based, never site.
Thats for they rough joiners :LOL:

So, I was talking to a friend who is a 1st fix carpenter about how we refer to ourselves as far as our woodwork goes, like a lot of others on building sites he prefers chippy which I know to anyone outside of construction would be an insult. This got me thinking (dangerous I know but it does happen from time to time) what would you guys consider yourself, until I discovered woodturning I would have said that I'm a keen and able DIYer that could do most basic woodworking, a year on from my first turning I would now class myself as an amateur woodturner.
Over to you guys.
Difficult. I think I've said here before that wood is essentially a sideline for me, it's always part of something else or at least the motivation is something else as opposed to the woodworking itself.

Most of my hobby projects are fairly multidisciplinary, may have elements of wood, metal, plastic, electrical and electronic and indeed computer programming. If I'm referring to the wood specifically it's simply "woodwork" because I've no better way of describing it, it's finer than joinery but I wouldn't put myself in the realm of cabinetmaker.

If I have to refer to the undertaking as a whole it tends to be "my project", if I had to pick a word for my role it would have to be engineer. It's not the right word but the closest fit, and since it's been part of my job title before I suppose I'm entitled to it. Craftsman doesn't fit, my approach is too calculating and lacking in artistry for that. "Maker" is gaining prevalence for much the same sort of stuff I might undertake on a personal basis, but I associate the term with an experimental and at times irresponsible approach I wouldn't want to be associated with.

Back