What kind of woodworker are you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like enthusiastic amateur for myself, but I've not shyed away from the odd payed jobs for friends and acquaintances so I have to question whether amateur still applies?
I'm most comfortable with fitted cabinet work, but I've built two substantial sheds and a carport, as well as plenty of picture rails, dado rails, shelves etc. Which I'd just call bog standard DIY if it was all just for my own house!

Enthusiastic Wannabee or Sawdust maker...

I think I'm ok and would like to find a suitable way to make good enough stuff to sell but.... I have no more just but LOL

1. Site carpenter - fairly new to that game
2. Woodwork curious - just starting my journey, pretty much a total beginner

Martin

Self taught woodworker- I’ll have a go at anything I feel comfortable to try out , I just love making something that is functional and practical and looks decent , it could be planters for the garden or a repair to a chair or table or a new set of floor joists .

Jack of all trades (master of none).
My father was a Carpenter/Joiner and cautioned me to not follow in his footsteps (poorly paid, over unionised (London),etc. etc.). I left school in 1962 and went down the electronics path for the next 15 years (five year apprenticeship in the Royal Navy). Then at the age of 30 attended college for a one year Antique Furniture restoration course, there then followed various deviations into cabinet making and house building. Now my knees are shot (awaiting knee joint replacement) so can only manage a little of what I once did. I have an aversion to the term "Expert" as I always question who qualifies the experts. With my electronics background I made a lot of furniture to marry electronis (computers etc) with traditional furniture, including furniture for the Geoge V hotel Paris. Computer desks/bureaus particularly. I would say I probably am akin to AJS in Preston in the range of interests/ experience (once had an AJS motorcycle-no relation!). Thus in conclusion I am happy to be a "Jack of all trades".

I'm shooting for cabinet maker because that is the work that challenges me and makes me look for a quality that I wouldn't normally go for. However, I generally prefer woodworker because I love the style of the old pioneer woodwork where things were made out of necessity and pins and nails were used. Nothing wrong with that, honest and practical.

my fav old lady client refered to me as "Frank'll fix it".....
never needed to advertise, u get passed around like and old book.....
Plenty of tea n cake.....happy days...

gold-bantam....
quite like shaker style.....v nice....
as soon as my shop is built promised myself to make a Maloof rocking chair with slightly shorter rails....just dreaming....

Sawdust manufacturer - as a product of repairing stuff, making basic furniture (mainly from sheet goods and/or pallet timber), house renovation, making garden gates, outdoor furniture and "artistic fencing" - and enthusiastic.

Not sure really, I started as a furniture maker in my teens while studying for for my Engineering exams, the woodwork has always stayed with me but now I only make things that are needed and have a dedicated woodwork cabin with all the machines but mostly Hand tools which I prefer using, I don't really do any woodwork for fun.

Time served Carpenter and Joiner, still earning a living in woodworking but not what I started out as.

I generally refer to myself as just a "maker" as wood isn't the only medium I use, though the majority of the woodworking I've done is "furniture" - a table, freestanding shelving, several desks now, two bespoke fire surrounds, several other things. To date I've made just one box!

AJS - I understand your reticence at using the term "maker", but I think from your self explanation that is indeed what you are, expecially if you are using plastic and electronics as I do.

I'm pretty certain most "inventors of things" - that we now use everyday would have been considered "irresponsible" by thier more staid peers, so it's not really fair to use that against other makers, do you not call yourself a driver merely because of the other idiots on the road? A great many of our everyday items came about in whole or in part because of "mistakes" or outright failures when attempting to get a different outcome.

Life-long tinkerer with a particular penchant for working with wood ever since I got a 'proper' X-Acto tool set (in a lovely bakelite box) as a Christmas present. Now retired and enjoying wood turning - particularly the challenge of seeing what a piece of wood wants to be and adjusting as you go. The occasional catch is a great way to turn a project in a new direction! I also really enjoy making things for my family - shelving, side-tables, rolling pins, pestle and mortar sets, pens, bespoke containers, ma'amoul moulds! Most of the pleasure for me comes from working out a way to tackle a problem (and dealing with the unexpected problems that wood always seems to offer along the way). Not having any real time pressure is also a plus. I like to work with wood I have acquired free of charge and so far I haven't sold anything- just given away to friends, family and SS partners here!

Knock-together-er. Honestly I don't refer to myself as anything. Jack of all trades. I work as an EPOS field service engineer, but that's just fixing computer stuff. I don't really get where the engineer part comes in. I worked as a finisher, long ago, polishing stripped pine furniture, then went on to fail at verious things, including furniture making. Never did my first love, electronics, for a living. So now I just repair stuff because I can, and knock-together wooden stuff as I need it.

Back