Northampton alternative to mens shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3D20s

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ive been lurking in one form or another for some time!

I really want to get into woodwork but don't have the space for a shop for a few more years. I looked into Mens Shed charity locations but the local one was only available on days I work.

Can anyone suggest alternatives? Would local hobbyists be willing to show someone the ropes/have company etc? I don't know what the etiquette is. A couple of guys in local villages allowed me to come and tour their shops but I never struck up enough courage to ask something so presumptuous as to ask if they could put up with someone being around during their hobby time!

At least the Internet is reasonably anonymous and I don't need to worry about that. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or offers you might have.

Hi there , outside of men’s sheds you could try searching for woodworking courses or tuition near you. You will then probably meet like minded people who can offer more specific advice . Also local community projects may offer some sort of outlet or group you could join. A few years is a long time these days so could you not make use of a garden shed until you have better confidence and have a better understanding of what type of woodwork you want to follow eg hand tools only machines and hand tools etc etc good luck and hope you find something to suit your needs..

Slightly different, but if you want to volunteer for something and learn from others, Try and find a repair café near you. They fix things!
No local ones really and the nearest is infrequent sadly, will definitely keep an eye out in case one opens more locally though! Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi there , outside of men’s sheds you could try searching for woodworking courses or tuition near you. You will then probably meet like minded people who can offer more specific advice . Also local community projects may offer some sort of outlet or group you could join. A few years is a long time these days so could you not make use of a garden shed until you have better confidence and have a better understanding of what type of woodwork you want to follow eg hand tools only machines and hand tools etc etc good luck and hope you find something to suit your needs..
I have looks for something. I would LOVE a night school type approach 1-2 days a week or something but outside of 'experience' days/weekends like 'build your own box' type thing there isn't much locally and those experiences are really just that, based on what friends who have done something similar say. Will keep looking and hoping though! :)

I'm not a member and was thinking of joining myself, but there's the Tudor Rose Woodturner's club in Daventry. Of course it's wood turning specific but by all accounts there are some pretty experienced members in that group.

Hi everyone!

Ive been lurking in one form or another for some time!

I really want to get into woodwork but don't have the space for a shop for a few more years. I looked into Mens Shed charity locations but the local one was only available on days I work.

Can anyone suggest alternatives? Would local hobbyists be willing to show someone the ropes/have company etc? I don't know what the etiquette is. A couple of guys in local villages allowed me to come and tour their shops but I never struck up enough courage to ask something so presumptuous as to ask if they could put up with someone being around during their hobby time!

At least the Internet is reasonably anonymous and I don't need to worry about that. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or offers you might have.
Ask them for an evening session.

We started one and I love it!!

I'm not a member and was thinking of joining myself, but there's the Tudor Rose Woodturner's club in Daventry. Of course it's wood turning specific but by all accounts there are some pretty experienced members in that group.
I'll definitely have a look at that when I get home! Wood turning is another thing I've always wanted to try and out and get into, plus, where there's wood there's bound to be more conventional woodworkers too! Thanks for the tip :)

There's an event that they're running today/tomorrow. Going to head down and try not to be too sheepish about speaking to people!

Hi Gamer Nick ...
I'm in Northampton, a Tudor Rose member and will be going to Woodworks tomorrow.
This is a REALLY good show (and was sadly missed over the COVID years).
I too explored the Northampton 'mens sheds' and had to park the whole idea in the 'too difficult box' !

Hi Gamer Nick ...
I'm in Northampton, a Tudor Rose member and will be going to Woodworks tomorrow.
I too explored the Northampton 'mens sheds' and had to park the whole idea in the 'too difficult box' !
Why too difficult?!

Hi Gamer Nick ...
I'll be going over to Daventry tomorrow ;) If you're going you'll probably spot me fairly easily as I'll have my 11yo daughter with me. I'm assuming it'll be mostly older guys otherwise :)

The men's shed thing seemed great apart from the days that they run. I'm sure it is a bit cliquey but that's the nature of a club, it'd be several overlapping groups of friends but I'm sure they're used to welcoming new people in all the time. I'm used to it as I staff for a scuba diving club/school and we always have people wanting to join in on the socials but not sure how! If you can make the days work for you, give it a go... And then tell me what it's like over there :p

Hope ours isn't cliquey!

Always make the newcomers welcome and we have a few with learning difficulties and alternative lifestyles!

I went to the wood turning event. Lots of very pretty things but not much in the way of beginner friendly access.

Watched some cool demos and was very surprised by just how quiet the lathes were compared to the beasts I used to use! XD

Best I could find was a business card for 2 hour turning tuition sessions for £28 which I might consider, if only to experience it.

I went to the wood turning event. Lots of very pretty things but not much in the way of beginner friendly access.

Watched some cool demos and was very surprised by just how quiet the lathes were compared to the beasts I used to use! XD

Best I could find was a business card for 2 hour turning tuition sessions for £28 which I might consider, if only to experience it.
That's a good price!

Try driving lessons, music or horse riding lessons DAMHIK!

I thought so as well. I'm a scuba diver, so very familiar with high cost but worthwhile, good value training ;)

Might look into it when the school summer holdiays kick in so I have time and want something to do. Still, whilst it's something interesting, it's not exactly what I'm after, re: original post :)

https://northantswoodrecycling.org.uk/
Is this of any use to you?

They collect wood from building projects. They have an option for volunteering. They have a workshop where they turn that timber into 'rustic' furniture to help fund their projects I guess.

Hope this helps

Martin
I have considered this a number of times, I believe this site is actually the same building that the men's shed is (or was as I believe it's now a different but similar organisation) and it's even next to my scuba lock-up that I have to visit frequently. I think they rotate use between them.

I'll certainly call in and ask when I'm next up there but I get the feeling that they will be looking for people to volunteer for fairly regular hours to do fairly repetitive tasks, good experience for a few of the tools no doubt, but not really the kind of independent making I'm wanting to get into. As they're recovering construction materials it'll mostly be pulling nails and planing/jointing repetitively. I also can't commit to regular volunteer work as I already do for scuba support and pleasure diving often takes up weekends with only a week or twos notice.

I won't know for sure unless I ask though :) thank you for the reminder of it :)

All clubs / Sheds / and other social gatherings will always have a "boys club" feel. Our Men's Shed is not like that. We welcome anyone. Doing your own project is not an issue. When you have some drying time to kill, we make things for the community the local council and other charitable organizations. And lot's of tea and coffee.

The Men's Shed is a mental health charity, helping those who are struggling following retirement, bereavement, illness, and anything else that can get a guy down. Come and visit and talk to guys who may have or are going through the same thing as you. If you went to spend a day in the Shed (rather than a day in the pub) you can do nothing other than talk, visit, and generally get things "off your chest" as they say. Yes, we do wood work, and metal work and we are happy to teach and coach as much as you like. The Shed is there to support it's members, no matter what that support may be.

Back