What is this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albus16

Reaction score
I am a complete beginner so forgive me if this is uber-obvious, but I just found this amongst my dad pile of "oak". I may be a novice but I'm fairly sure this isn't oak.

I had a play with it and it is quite coarse, and even when planed gently, it is still pretty rough.

Can anyone tell me what it is? And if so, what are its properties and uses etc?

Sorry if the pictures aren't hi-res enough, I had to downsize them in paint to upload it so thought I'd try and put them all on the same canvas

Thanks,

Alex

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 123
Thanks guys, my initial reaction was teak but it looked a little light for that. Other than that my knowledge of tropical woods is non-existent.

It's a very small and thin piece so not much use for anything major. Maybe a picture frame. Would you suggest I treat it like teak? What's the best thing for finishing it?

Thanks again,

Alex

its quite hard to finish nicely, but just sand it down and whack on a couple of coats of danish oil. make sure to wipe off the excess after each coat and then polish.

adidat

Morning Alex

Can anyone tell me what it is? And if so, what are its properties and uses etc?

I've never worked with Iroko myself, but it does have a bit of a reputation for causing problems with rashes etc. No need to panic, but be aware.

There's a thread about it here ...

iroko-dust-health-problems-t36709.html

Cheers

Dave

Back