Help, cladding Newel Posts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to sort out that landing skirting as well ... jesus my eyes :ROFLMAO:
That’s being done, the skirting is what was there originally some bodge I have to say. It’s loose, and still in place so I can use it as a rough template for cutting the replacement

It is a mix of styles, glass infill with wooden rails. The property looks more period, ie last century so I would remove the lot and fit wooden spindles and new post, good opportunity to buy a lathe and take up some turning otherwise plenty of places to buy the parts.

https://stairpartsdirect.co.uk/prod...MI3ICKg6bTggMV8IRQBh0zrA-QEAAYASAAEgIEgPD_BwE
We have moved the whole house more contemporary, all a matter of taste, of which I profess to have zero. I’m working on happy wife happy life.

My only effort was solid with mitrelock...
Oak clad newel stair refit. Picture heavy!! - Woodwork UK Not sure if the pictures are available to others?
That is a nice job, a lot of work but a good result. With hindsight would you have still done it that way or just replaced, I suppose it is a question of your time against cost of premade parts.

I have the large one of these Lock Mitre Bits – Infinity Tools and the setting jig, that made the setup so much easier but have never done lenths as long as the ones you have done. What cutters did you use ?

That is a nice job, a lot of work but a good result. With hindsight would you have still done it that way or just replaced, I suppose it is a question of your time against cost of premade parts.

I have the large one of these Lock Mitre Bits – Infinity Tools and the setting jig, that made the setup so much easier but have never done lenths as long as the ones you have done. What cutters did you use ?
Thank you.
In this case it was not going to be an option to remove and replace and it helped that the existing was rock solid. Had there been any issues with the stair treads and risers needing attention I would have had no qualms about taking the lot out. Also I needed to broaden the middle newel post anyway to accept the upper and lower handrails without clashing.
Until you have dabbled with the mitrelock joint you cannot envisage how helpful it is in aiding the process of fitting up. It's so well locked that it tends to stick together and stay put while popping a clamp or two on.
The timber planing was done in two stages with time to "settle" in between which greatly reduced any chance of movement when finished.
For the joints I had the convenience of a spindle moulder and Whitehill full size block.
Cheers, Andy

That’s being done, the skirting is what was there originally some bodge I have to say. It’s loose, and still in place so I can use it as a rough template for cutting the replacement
Can i suggest that you plumb the string first as thats how it should have been done. (y)

I'm another advocator of the mitre lock cutter. Here is a before and after stair renovation it was put to use on ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks everyone, you’ve convinced me, solid oak. @Sideways and I spent today experimenting with both the best way to make the cladding as well as the optimum thickness to achieve the best yield of the stuff I can get. Nothing ‘real’ made yet, just a lot of prototype boxes. Anyway, we’ve arrived at 10mm thick material, which is the minimum we felt we could get away with when using a mitre lock joint. I (as it is my staircase😂) decided that the mitre lock was a IMO the better solution compared to say the lap joint as it is both self jigging making assembly around the newel will be easier and it also pushed the joint to the very tip. When rounded over the joint became almost invisible.
I’ve borrowed a friends router table with a Incra router lift and fence. I have to say these made setting up the mitre lock cutter very easy and quick. (I still prefer a spindle🤪) Anyway when I borrowed it I’d totally forgotten I have a special spindle shaft for the spindle moulder that can hold a router cutter holder, so I’m very tempted tomorrow to set that up and have a few text cuts. The big downside with the spindle is the RPM available it can only go up to 8000RPM.
We are using Riyter mitre lock cutter from Axminister. It can mitre lock material down to 9mm. Tyere are three cutters available each offering a different material thickness range.

The box isn’t glued, just held by my hand pressure, the lower picture shows two sides joined together at 90 Degrees. Spot the joint.

IMG_3224.jpeg
IMG_3223.jpeg

The round over bit was set a bit low and this left a slight groove. I need to make a few test pieces to iron out these sorts of issues and getting everything set up and tuned in.
With just hand pressure the joint creates a perfectly square box which I was amazes by.

I now make all my newels hollow, and did glue them around a plywood, now mdf core, I have in the past just mitred and biscuited them which was fine, but invested in the SM head to do them with the lock mitre option, saves a lot of of faff and the results are spot on, with a lot less clamping needed (the one on the left is 3.6 mtrs long) :

newels.jpg

The other left :unsure:

Last edited:
Back