what does the inside of this door panel look like to people?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_martin

Reaction score
tempImageU0go6K.jpg

Attachments

• tempImageTF3bRt.png
    tempImageTF3bRt.png
    11.7 MB · Views: 0
I was at an old hotel this week and this was the inside of the room door. Looks like someone opened it into a table causing the hole, but not sure what the exposed panel is. I told the hotel, but they didn't seem concerned by it. Google searches comes up with a couple of possibilities, but I'm going the experts hoping someone here has seen this before so I can advise the hotel if it's something worth worrying about before others stay there.

IMO If the Hotel is part of a large chain phone the head office speak to their H+S Manager or Legal Person (not whoever answers the phone go 3 steps above them) saying you think there is broken asbestos fibres in one of their rooms.
If its a singleton Hotel same conversation but with a Director not the duty manager.
If you feel your getting nowhere then the local council trading standards and see how it goes.
Certainly looks iffy to me

Also clear that theres previous damage that has been painted over, so this is probably a regular thing. Any fibres visable causes concern for asbestos, but theres also other products ( like glassroc boards ) that have fibres. The fibres do look long to me, which might indicate fibreglass fibres, but the only way to know is to take a sample and get it tested ( about 25 quid )

IMO If the Hotel is part of a large chain phone the head office speak to their H+S Manager or Legal Person (not whoever answers the phone go 3 steps above them) saying you think there is broken asbestos fibres in one of their rooms.
If its a singleton Hotel same conversation but with a Director not the duty manager.
If you feel your getting nowhere then the local council trading standards and see how it goes.
Certainly looks iffy to me
Thanks, I feared it might be an asbestos insulating board. The hotel manager is due to email me back today, so will hopefully get a good response. If not, will take it above his head as you suggest. Thanks.

Also clear that theres previous damage that has been painted over, so this is probably a regular thing. Any fibres visable causes concern for asbestos, but theres also other products ( like glassroc boards ) that have fibres. The fibres do look long to me, which might indicate fibreglass fibres, but the only way to know is to take a sample and get it tested ( about 25 quid )
When I told the hotel, two reception staff came up, poked their finger in it and said they weren't sure. It was white and crumbled in their finger like dust. I asked to move room, which they did. Would fibreglass crumble in this way? At first I thought t might be a filler to repair the holes...I'll do everything I can to make sure they do the asbestos test to (hopefully) rule that out.

Each building has an asbestos register by law stating where all the known stuff is located. Doubtful it's in the door but you never know. Usually it's in lagging for pipes ceiling / floor tiles old toilets etc...but then again it COULD be in the door..? You never know. Only tradespeople can view it, not sure the general public can??

Each building has an asbestos register by law stating where all the known stuff is located. Doubtful it's in the door but you never know. Usually it's in lagging for pipes ceiling / floor tiles old toilets etc...but then again it COULD be in the door..? You never know. Only tradespeople can view it, not sure the general public can??
Good idea, I'll ask if it's registered as a known asbestos. As @baldkev said, they've repaired / painted over in the past, so hopefully the health and safety team / maintenance people know.

It looks like an early type of fibreboard to me.

Homasote is what the Americanians call it.
homosote.jpg

It's made of wood fibres.

Last edited:
I think there is a high possibility it is asbestos. It was commonly used in fire doors in older buildings. The hotel owners should have been aware of this and taken measures when the door was damaged.

If it was, the risk to yourself and wife is very very low, but you need to find out for sure and then see what course of action you can take.

My guess it was a form of asbestos cement sheet that was applied over an old panelled wooden door to make it more fireproof in the 1960s -- then timber beading was pinned / glued on to improve the look - then plenty of paint. Fibreboard seems unlikely, I would think it was far too soft for use as a door facing.

If this door is external or adjoining another let space or corridor then it will be a fire door, in which case it is compromised and no longer serviceable.

If it is the door to the room there is every chance that it is asbestos filler in order to act as a fire door. The pic below is of the interior of an old 50s asbestos fire door

this should have appeared near the start, forgot to hit post reply
1659537204783.png

Doing siding. ! In the 37 c wether.

Attachments

• E1BBE123-D481-44AE-98E7-2222AC9363B9.jpeg
    E1BBE123-D481-44AE-98E7-2222AC9363B9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
If it is the door to the room there is every chance that it is asbestos filler in order to act as a fire door. The pic below is of the interior of an old 50s asbestos fire door

this should have appeared near the start, forgot to hit post reply
View attachment 140960
This looks the most like the one in the room, although there was some sort of board too.

Back