Upside down doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, slight thread drift coming.

@niall Y what is the deVOL stuff actually like? I have a good customer who loves their style, they keep thrusting the glossy brochure in front of me and saying "We want it to look just like this". I've done loads of cabinets and panelling etc for them copying stuff from the brochure but they are looking at a new kitchen next year and it's quite big! They are speaking to deVOL after Christmas for a design and price but can then see them wanting me to make it, just wondered what you thought the quality was like?

Have I lead a sheltered life? can someone tell me what makes a "Cookie cutter suburb" and also the definition of "arcs"?

I think the price of devol stuff is really cheap. Its positive really. Its negative is there range has limits. So if you want a custom open out pantry that's x wide and 9 ft not happening. They are a very large outfit in loughborough(luug a beruuga as the aussies call it) they cater for a large niche. So not the tom howleys but folk that want a kitchen that's as easy to order and fit as a howdens. I'd expect visual quality to be high. Actual quality ok

It's very hard for a one man outfit to compete with a kitchen manufacturers. I don't think I'd make a penny at the prices they charge tbh(they have gone up considerable as a reflection of material cost ) that style is now not mainstream but definitely niche mainstream. Maybe make one wow piece(or a dining set or bespoke inserts) and just fit the bulk is how I would be thinking.

To be fair, the door situation wasn’t a mistake (in my opinion) as the rails and Hinge placement was same top and bottom. It’s down to whether you like bigger panel at the top or bottom (unless they are supposed to fitted a specific way, I don’t know).
From a functional perspective then they are right, they open and close but aesthetically they look wrong and the bottom rail is always larger. Have you not noticed that even with documents the bottom margin is larger than the top, it is all to do with what looks good to the eye. Even with drawers they are proportioned so the larger draw is at the bottom, it would be odd if the biggest drawer was at the top but in this case it is also to do with stability.

From a functional perspective then they are right, they open and close but aesthetically they look wrong and the bottom rail is always larger. Have you not noticed that even with documents the bottom margin is larger than the top, it is all to do with what looks good to the eye. Even with drawers they are proportioned so the larger draw is at the bottom, it would be odd if the biggest drawer was at the top but in this case it is also to do with stability.
Also in picture framing the bottom margin is always larger as in days gone past when the only pictures where in galleries or mansions the paintings where hung from a high picture rail and you looked up at them the larger margin was lost in perspective, but a smaller margin would have looked much smaller and would throw out the symmetry of the painting.

Sorry, slight thread drift coming.

@niall Y what is the deVOL stuff actually like? I have a good customer who loves their style, they keep thrusting the glossy brochure in front of me and saying "We want it to look just like this". I've done loads of cabinets and panelling etc for them copying stuff from the brochure but they are looking at a new kitchen next year and it's quite big! They are speaking to deVOL after Christmas for a design and price but can then see them wanting me to make it, just wondered what you thought the quality was like?
It was quite a few years ago now, that I fitted the kitchen, so I can't really comment on their present offerings. The kitchen, then, certainly looked the part. And, I would have been happy with the quality it were one of my own.
Which is a moot point really, as I did offer to make the cabinets for both the kitchen and an adjoining utility room. However, though the customers wife was happy with this arrangement, she lost out to her husband, who had his heart set on a genuine deVol :giggle:

There was a problem with size of one of the units, but after liaising with deVol it was agreed it would be more convenient if I adapted the unit to fit on-site. This was quite easy to do as the construction of the unit was fairly straight forward.

Also in picture framing the bottom margin is always larger as in days gone past when the only pictures where in galleries or mansions the paintings where hung from a high picture rail and you looked up at them the larger margin was lost in perspective, but a smaller margin would have looked much smaller and would throw out the symmetry of the painting.
Correct ref the history side of things but as a framer myself,i,d rarely cut a mount with a larger bottom margin unless requested by the client or remounting an old item, like for like.
the standard 8 ft ceiling height of most dwellings now doesn,t really require the looking up perspective of a country mansion to be considered.

Have I lead a sheltered life? can someone tell me what makes a "Cookie cutter suburb" and also the definition of "arcs"?
A 'cookie cutter suburb' is one that the entire suburb is built by a single company, and at best you might find three or four different house designs, but many of the 'cheaper' ones aimed at the first home buyers or rental market literally use only a single design, so literally every house is identical- hence the 'cookie cutter' name...

Often the only way to tell them apart is things like the roof and door colours (my mates is the one in his block with the red roof and blue doors)- I have on one occasion knocked on the wrong door (to be fair it was only my second visit)- right street, wrong block (but right house colours lol)

All packed on a minimal sized block (they are literally packed in like sardines)- my mates place he couldn't fit either himself or the mower down between the side wall next to the garage and the fence- he used to have to send his kid down there with the whipper snipper to 'mow' the grass...

There was a TV ad on here a few years back that poked fun at these places- a kid on a swing, pushing off the wall of the house at one end of the arc, and the fence at the other... (and yes the yard really is that small)

Correct ref the history side of things but as a framer myself,i,d rarely cut a mount with a larger bottom margin unless requested by the client or remounting an old item, like for like.
the standard 8 ft ceiling height of most dwellings now doesn,t really require the looking up perspective of a country mansion to be considered.
I have a very old property that the ceiling height in my dinning room is 6ft 5" low enough that halogen lights were not good as they burnt the top of my follicle challenged head, thank goodness for modern LED lamps. 🙄🤣

I think that most text speakers can't remember the names of the people they meet and just call every one "Mate" I often have to remind people that I do not wish to mate with them no matter the incentive. 🤔

Have to say this is all a long way from upside down doors will stop prevaricating now, promise.

Have to say this is all a long way from upside down doors will stop prevaricating now, promise.
Perhaps the guy lost his concentration on the job because he was texting or involved with unsocial media, he knew he had to turn the door the other way before proceeding but after the distraction totaly forgot. These days I label everything with bits of masking tape so that the right part goes where intended and the right way up plus if doing say a frame then when drilling dowel holes I know that with all lables showing I have the top face up.

Back