What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark

I assume you have investigated the suitability of those Finnish's/timber for a crib i.e. toxicity?

Mike

Yup Mike, first thing I dug into. Wouldn't want to inhale the dust (but I don't have any machines to make dust and I've not used any power tools so far) but walnut and ash are pretty classic and when sealed inside the finish, are sufficiently safe for purpose (also, it's a sidecar cot so there's far less chance of gnawing on the bars). The finishes are shellac (perfectly safe when cured); osmo (recommended for use on childrens toys and certified as safe); and milk paint (literally milk proteins and pigment, you could eat the stuff - the manufacturers are very hippie about that - and it'll be sealed behind osmo and inside a drawer a foot below junior anyway).

edit: Oh, and hide glue, even though Titebond II is fine when cured.

Doing a lot of resawing on my bandsaw recently and the new blade guides are proving their worth, super nice cuts IMO, almost jointer level flat surfaces:
31743067375_c59e84b771_b.jpg

31596986262_79050c43b6_b.jpg

5/8" Tuffsaws blade with vari-tooth teeth.

Front frame assembled (and the panel is done too, but I managed to stick a chisel in my finger while cleaning a tenon so I haven't gotten the grooves ploughed yet).

IMG_0183a.jpg

Minor problem - that's actually wedged.
I'm not sure I can fit this thing on the bench to assemble it...

Installed the front panel.

IMG_0193a.jpg

Also cut more tenons and tested drawboring in this walnut.

IMG_0220a.jpg

I rather like that.

Mark

You ought to start a build thread on the crib, looks very nice.

Mike

Too far into it really Mike (and still not sure if it'll all end in disaster :D ) but I'll write it up when done...

What I did in my workshop today was knock a No. 4 plane off my makeshift bench and somehow damage the Y lever/yolk - it's been bent forwards as you can see in the photo. Everything else looks fine but now I have a blade protruding obscenely from the mouth. Is it an easy fix to swap the yolk? I also cleverly damaged the lateral adjuster.

WjNmpDh.jpg

In other news I got my Record No. 5 1/2 cleaned up nicely. Although for some reason the depth adjuster sits quite far forward and doesn't allow much room to retract the blade. See also pic.

4LJHHE8.jpg

ZW5jlLC.jpg

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Child size roubo bench for my kids, made from leftover construction lumber:
31875338466_969c25abb6_b.jpg

Couple of coats of shellac on it now:
31924206966_732391f123_b.jpg

DennisCA":21z8ngat said:
Child size roubo bench for my kids, made from leftover construction lumber:
31875338466_969c25abb6_b.jpg

Couple of coats of shellac on it now:
31924206966_732391f123_b.jpg

That's brilliant! Get them started in woodwork young!

got my tablesaw re-built
the mobile base was a total fail so need to rethink
but at least it is square and level and perfect distance blade to the mitre slots
strangely got a dip in the middle joint of the extension tables..not a lot I can do with that as they are flush front and back
i guess a dip is better than a raised lip
hopefully fit plate and router to new table tomorrow, get my lathe setup and then move on to dust extraction
results all round
next year will be a good one
finally make something rather than just make \ organise a place to work

Steve

IMG_0299a.jpg

IMG_0301a.jpg

So, just a back support, top crossrail, two drawer runners and twenty-four slats to cut joints for and fit, then one drawer to make, and some finishing, and by the time this sodding thing is done, the kid is going to be five years old...

(And no, I can't assemble it on the bench in the shed, it's too big :( )

El Barto":31lz05c8 said:
What I did in my workshop today was knock a No. 4 plane off my makeshift bench and somehow damage the Y lever/yolk - it's been bent forwards as you can see in the photo. Everything else looks fine but now I have a blade protruding obscenely from the mouth. Is it an easy fix to swap the yolk? I also cleverly damaged the lateral adjuster.

WjNmpDh.jpg

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Is it wrong? Adjuster wheel wound right out, iron right out, seems ok to me.

Lateral lever is bent no? The side to side one. Can you not clamp and bend it? Should be fine if you can clamp either side of the bend I'd have thought?

Finished my mobile mft top with the parf guide system.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 93
Some simple jigs for my sorby clone:

31836626602_be12768797_b.jpg

31947485566_38cd590a79_b.jpg

31144551754_8cc21a428a_b.jpg

I've had this machine a good long while but I hardly do any turning, mostly used it on high speed and grinding and shaping metal, and setting the bevels of chisels and plane irons.

I managed to strip the old emery and glue from the disk sander and fit a new one so another machine up and running, the field not quite a sea of mud yet so can still get over it. Keeping rust at bay is an endless job. I am in need of a variable speed 1/2" router to handle a few large cutters I have one 1/2" jobbie but it is underpowered and the others are small 1/4", both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back