Variable speed conversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Established Member
Reaction score
This might be a 'yes/no' answer.

I have a Jet1442 with a Reeves drive. Is is possible to convert this machine to true variable speed?

Thanks,
Brendan

Yes.

BUT. needs some research, considerable expenditure on components and possibly some on mechanical modifications to fit.

Items required:
1. 3Phase 240 volt motor to fit in place of existing motor (with shaft that will take existing pulley)

Or 3Phase motor and pulley to suit with mechanical adapter plate to give correct fixing.

2: Single Phase to 3 Phase Invertor. with suitable switches/control box.

Say £350 - £400?

Personally having cut my teeth on a perform near clone of the machine I would say forget it, the rest of the mechanics although good value for money hardly match the capabilities/quality of the drive you would be fitting.

Thanks Chas,

As you say, it's not worth doing. Just a mad notion I had.

Brendan

Without knowing the lathe in question, I would back up Chas's figure and warnings of difficulty.

It is not only the question of a 3 phase motor and an electronic box, but understanding the box, programming and wiring it up to some sort of control box.

A friend of mine got a Graduate for £50 from a school displenishment with an old 3 ph motor in it. I just happened to have a 1 to 3 ph convertor and thought that all that was required was to wire it in - please note at this point the male attribute of assuming one doesn't need to read the instruction manual ! Also note that I am an electronics engineer .... which also means that I don't need to read instruction manuals on this sort of thing.

Well there had to be a lot of Instruction Manual reading and consulting of Mr Google, the motor had to be dismantled and rewired ( Delta to star for the infomed), a control box had to be built, the wiring of the machine had to be gutted and reconfigured.

Are you beginning to get the message ? It does seem easy but (a) there's a lot of work and (b) it's not easy.

I'm quite happy to do it for anyone having been up the learning curve, but despite being retired I will expect to get paid for my time.

OW

Thank you for your input OW.

The work involved doesn't annoy me at all but financially it doesn't make sense. I'd rather put the money towards my dream JET 3520B that has all the bells and whistles.

Brendan

Latest posts

Back