UPVC Window hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Team

11 years in my new build home and I think the windows were installed by my one year old. Almost every window (side hung) has a gap at the bottom near the hinge. I don’t know a lot about upvc windows but having watched a couple of YouTube Windows I figured it worth getting new hinges and try changing them. from the picture below do you also think it could be the hinges? If so can anyone recommend good quality replacements?

Thanks

Attachments

• 7414280A-081E-43B2-99E6-BD865464C537.jpeg
    7414280A-081E-43B2-99E6-BD865464C537.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 0D79187E-E835-4551-BF79-7EB7CE4D66BE.jpeg
    0D79187E-E835-4551-BF79-7EB7CE4D66BE.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 30
biggest prob is the screw holes....
they get driven in with air tools by some unskilled ejit.....
for the cost and effort prob best just to upgrade to tripple glased/gas filled units....
u dont have to do them all at once....
over here they dont use UVPC because of sunlight....Plastic windows die within 5 years of install....
we have ally windows and shutters, but the same applies, unskilled labour and they dont use ST Steel fixings....
you just have to replace the units.....plus on average they cost 3-4 times the price in the UK....

Sometimes it is the rubber seal that has collapsed over the years. You can buy new seal, pull the old out and install new. You may also be able to get different depths of seal if you have a gap that is not just due to collapse. I've bumped into a few vids on this on YouTube whilst searching for retrofit sash window sealing.

Fitz.

Thank you clogs I like the idea, and I’ll look into the costs however we will be moving I would say 5 ish years so I really don’t want to spend much especially if hinges will do the job

If memory serves there should be some adjustment on these, possibly on the part screwed to the opener. Could be that they are not closing fully flat.

I'm about 30 years out of date on window manufacture so that may no longer be relevant.

Raf
I found over the years buying and selling houses.........
things like triple galzing etc makes for an easyer sale plus often we just added the cost to the price......
for example we had a medium size back garden...the kids were grown up enough not to really play there....
took part of a 6' high wall down to make an electric gate, that u could get a caravan in......
block paved the whole yard (with some raised beds and pots) and a gazebo cover for a caravan.....
cost was around 5-6 grand.....added over 20 to the listing price and was sold within 48hours to a caravan owner......

done it loads'a times.....

I have come to the conclusion that, unless you are likely to move very soon, it is better to spend the money on "sensible" property improvements:
  • you get to enjoy the benefits for however long you are there
  • the property will sell easier, possibly increasing the selling price
  • plans change - you may well be there for longer
And in (say) 5 years time any faults or issues you currently have are likely to be far more evident making it more difficult to sell.

With some improvement you are unlikely to get full payback and only you will enjoy the benefits - eg: the elaborate or idiosyncratic. But those related to the basic fabric of the property should be done.

I have the same problem with some of my windows. I recently had a replacement D/G unit fitted at MILs house and I asked the fitter about my problem. He said usually its the hinges that fail so for the sake of a couple of hinges it might be worth trying that for starters. I intend to do mine when the weather warms up and I can have a big gap for a couple of hours
Ps even toolstation sell those hinges PVCu Side Hung Window Hinge 311 x 13mm the fitter also mentioned that there are usually only two thicknesses of hinge 13mm and 17mm if I remember correctly.
might be worth getting both thicknesses to see what fits the best (toolstation accept returns)

if they are downstairs windows if you can get someone push the hinge side in towards the frame as you close it that can help the hinge close closer, there is a pointed bit on one bit of the hinge that has to sit into a v shape to get it to seal correctly

Last edited:
If you are looking for replacements, they are not called hinges they are actually called Friction stays.

got it thank you all. I had a look at the hinges or friction stays and I figured for a couple of quid it’s worth the shot if. Plus I am just very interested in how this works. If not triple glazing it is. Having said that here is what I don’t understand

upon inspection and stating the obvious the hinges move in a scissor type motion right? Now each arm of the hinge is screwed into the upvc track and when closed all arms of the hinges should be perpendicular to each other. If that is correct then how come there is a gap. Assuming the hinges are ok I.e not bent the window should close flush the the frame.

I am guessing that the window itself maybe warped. Weather permitting I’ll get my straight edge on it

thank you all

Lubrication is also important longer term.

Bedroom window getting progressively stiffer to open or close. Must do something about it I thought. Months passed. One day wife goes to open window only to watch it bounce off the flower bed below.

Solution - plywood taped to remaining frame for a few weeks whilst I sorted out complete window and frame replacement.

Back