Finicky window repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scholar

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2009
Messages
623
Reaction score
168
Location
Stratford-upon-Avon
I am slowly repairing and repainting some windows - 34 including a few fixed lights.

They are modern, stormproof with dg units - the external centre muntin moulding is surface mounted over the dg unit which has a spacer bar. All the external beading is fixed with non-setting sealant of some description and this has caused some problems particularly above the horizontal centre muntin and the bottom beading because muck gradually accumulates at the join of the sealant and the glass which becomes unsightly from inside.

The windows are rather overdue for this overhaul, but are basically in good shape.

The (redwood) timber is basically ok, but I decided the only way to tidy up these muntin and bottom mouldings was to replace them. I was interested to discover that the whole external beading had been preassembled as a frame before fitting and nailing in place. The muntin piece was jointed into the side pieces with a half lap. I initially thought I would just have to nail a new piece in place, but these windows are in an exposed position and I thought I should make them as secure as possible. So I made up a two piece replacement (x34) and worked out a technique for fixing them with glazing tape, a smear of Timbaglaze glazing sealant in the joint and a few dabs of superglue to mate the two pieces. Finally the small gap between will be filled with sealant as per this excellent master class


Here are a couple of pictures - I used Accoya for the replacement mouldings.

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_6156.jpeg



IMG_6157.jpeg


IMG_6158.jpeg


IMG_6160.jpeg



IMG_6161.jpeg


Possibly a bit esoteric, but may just be of interest to someone.

Cheers
 

Latest posts

Back
Top