Conservatory repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Will

Reaction score
Hello, someone asked me if I can repair the rot and water damage to the bottom of their conservatory....
I thought id show you my plan and see if anyone could see any oversights or errors and hopefully answer some questions I had...

Here are some pictures of the damage. The rot appears to be contained in the window frames. The sill or soul plate didn't appear to be rotten as far as I could see.

IMG_20230620_170639103_MFNR.jpg
the "style" of the conservatory - Wooden frames with a double glazed pane.

IMG_20230620_170555218_MFNR.jpg

the black thing is a tyre, it's there to prevent water ingress,

IMG_20230620_171100431_HDR.jpg
more damage to the external corner of the conservatory.

The first question, I suppose, and the most important.
Can I complete a viable repair without replacing the entire window frame?

My intention was to do the following;
1. Remove the window pane...
2. cut out the rot with a multi tool / chisels etc...
3. replace with redwood and paint.
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Last edited:
It’s similar to a repair I did last year to a orangey type building. Had to remove the glass from the roof and replace a timber rail which supported the glass panes . You will probably need to design a jointing method for fixing the new redwood to the existing timber and of course use waterproof glue . Your timber will need to be primed and painted or other suitable protection 5 star complete etc, but i,d be doing the same. Make sure you go past any rot and get a good fit to any new to existing timber. Also think about what has caused the rot in the 1st place and see if you can prevent further damage by improving any design faults/ water traps etc .

looks to be very far gone to me. could you make another in hardwood? these repairs aren't easy and usually don't last 2 seasons. it depends on the rest of the conservatory condition wise tbh. one or two decent lengths of the moulding( maybe made for you) then concentrate on the jointing.

looks to be very far gone to me. could you make another in hardwood? these repairs aren't easy and usually don't last 2 seasons. it depends on the rest of the conservatory condition wise tbh. one or two decent lengths of the moulding( maybe made for you) then concentrate on the jointing.
Leaky gutter is the cause, can you elaborate on why you don't consider it easy, anything I should be aware of?
Thanks , Will

it's hard because the reward will only be 2 seasons and all the work needs to be done in situ. using 2 different woods will result in large cracks opening allowing rain in. you have to make the window sections anyway so just make more then join them into a window. the reward would be 25 years more service ( it's all slightly tongue in cheek and there will be hurdles but worth it( even in softwood)

it's hard because the reward will only be 2 seasons and all the work needs to be done in situ. using 2 different woods will result in large cracks opening allowing rain in. you have to make the window sections anyway so just make more then join them into a window. the reward would be 25 years more service ( it's all slightly tongue in cheek and there will be hurdles but worth it( even in softwood)
Thank you, I think you confirmed my gut feeling - that a partial repair is probably not worth the money when compared to a complete repair - I will let me friends know and see how they want to proceed,
Thanks for the advice and help, much appreciated.
Will

Back