PVC Window handles to tight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All

I while ago I had some PVC window installers come and replace some of the hinges on my windows and in the process they tightened up what the call the “mushrooms” to make sure they when you close the window and push the handle down everything becomes snug. On some windows the handles are too hard to push down all the way and I remember the installers said if they are too tight over time just “adjust the mushrooms” with a screwdriver. I’ve attached a picture of the so called “mushrooms” trouble is, I haven’t a clue what to do?

Anyone know what to do with these mushrooms?

Thanks

Attachments

• DA2B79A3-1B1C-4205-A1FD-8A78BA52F551.jpeg
    DA2B79A3-1B1C-4205-A1FD-8A78BA52F551.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Put an Allen key in the hex in the mushroom, and turn it so the incised line points into the house. A squirt of 3in1 or WD40 into the slot the mushroom slides in wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
There may be an adjustment on the opposing side as well with a couple of screws that adjust the plate/keep that the "mushroom" goes into.
I recommend a sprayable chain/ machine grease rather than wd40 as it will leave some lubricant behind rather than evaporating.

Many mushrooms have a little dot punched in the face as an indicator. If you note where the dot is (e.g. 10 o'clock) you can adjust it back if you get it wrong. Often, very fine adjustments are all it needs.

Many mushrooms have a little dot punched in the face as an indicator. If you note where the dot is (e.g. 10 o'clock) you can adjust it back if you get it wrong. Often, very fine adjustments are all it needs.
looks like your indicator is pointing to "8 0'clock"try moving it to "7 o'clock" for starters

Thank you all. Upon inspection turned out the just WD40 did the trick. Didn’t realise that lubricating windows needs to be on the yearly maintenance list

Hey All

I while ago I had some PVC window installers come and replace some of the hinges on my windows and in the process they tightened up what the call the “mushrooms” to make sure they when you close the window and push the handle down everything becomes snug. On some windows the handles are too hard to push down all the way and I remember the installers said if they are too tight over time just “adjust the mushrooms” with a screwdriver. I’ve attached a picture of the so called “mushrooms” trouble is, I haven’t a clue what to do?

Anyone know what to do with these mushrooms?

Thanks
I have a similar issue with a door whereby it becomes 'clunky' to close. I have adjusted the mushroom, not really knowing what I was doing, and for a while the door closes smoothly. However, after a while the problem returns. The mushroom seems loose and not tight as maybe it should, and I have no idea whether this can be remedied or not?

PVC doors and windows are a mystery to me. All my window handles are loose, any suggestions welcome

Put an Allen key in the hex in the mushroom, and turn it so the incised line points into the house. A squirt of 3in1 or WD40 into the slot the mushroom slides in wouldn't hurt either.
I was informed by the maintenance guy who installed our pvc windows and conservatory only to use silicon and never spray oil on the mechanisms. WD40 do both.

I was informed by the maintenance guy who installed our pvc windows and conservatory only to use silicon and never spray oil on the mechanisms. WD40 do both.
Take that with a pinch of salt. A silicone spray will leave longer lasting lubricant on surfaces, but a squirt of WD40 or drip of 3 in 1 will do no harm. WD40 may not be intended as a lube, but it is very effective at getting stiff mechanisms moving, and is far preferable to the dry grinding of a mechanism clogged with grit or stricky congealed grease.

Did a job for a elderly young lady- all windows were difficult to open and close - a good brushing to get rid of the surface dust , webs and insect remains followed by a few squirts of wd release spray and finally a drop of wd silicone spray . Wiped away any excess and opened and closed several times and they were like new . Several window companies quoted hundreds for new hinges and one recommended new windows.

Back