Union Graduate configuration question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

With a 'standard' union graduate lathe with normal bed and outboard bowl turning, is it possible to remove the bed and swap the outboard casting onto the inboard side? To me it looks like there are some variations of the pedestal design. I might set one up as a second dedicated bowl lathe. I don't need the tailstock but I do need the increased diameter of the bowl turning side - however, without the reverse direction. Sure I could reverse the motor but then all the chucks and face plates will unscrew. Don't want to keep using grub screws.

Alternatively is it possible to reverse the motor and spin the spindle through 180 degrees in the pedestool so the threads are correct - long shot I know.
Of course I could just get a short bed but lots of people don't like it.

I am determined to get a graduate, such cool styling :D

BM

Hello Bogmonster,
This might be right off the beaten track but just a thought, would it not be possible to buy a new spindle with the threads cut the way you want them?
I seem to remember someone did this with the harrison jubilee lathe.

Rend.

I thought that some graduate stuff was threaded both ways, to use on either side of the headstock? If this is the case it wouldn't make any difference.
It would make a difference if the motor was reversed as spindle would turn in opposite direction. I think but im not sure this is what BM means.
Rend.

On the inboard side the thread is such that the chuck is screwed on clockwise. Outboard anticlockwise. If the spindle could be fitted back to front as it were then outboard would be clockwise. I could then ditch the bed and have a chuck turning the conventional way - anticlockwise as you look at it - without unscrewing the chuck. I am reasonable sure this is not possible but just checking. Swapping the outboard bed to the opposite side sounds far more realistic but still not sure if it is possible.

BM

hi bm
would it not be possible to just remove the bed and make a freestanding tool rest.
cheers
paul-c

Hi Paul,

Yes, I have considered this. I do have a free standing rest already (came with current lathe) and never used it. I do wonder how close I could get it to the pedistal given the bulge where the motor is positionsed? Also, never really like the idea of free standing toolrests - have nightmares of them tipping into the rotating work. I expect this is totally unfounded though....

BM.

hi
have to say i understand your fear of tipping into the work.
i do not have a freestanding tool rest so could not say with any specifics but could you not drill and tap the casting somewhere on "the bulge" to enable a fixed supprt to be attached to the freestanding rest.
hope that makes sense.
cheers
paul-c

Hi Bogmonster,
On my own Graduate I have increased the bowl turning capacity on the outboard side by fitting a 30mm plate between the body casting and the short bed. The plate is about 300mm wide x 200mm high with 2 sets of holes ( one set to bolt the plate to the casting - 3 x c'bored holes and one set about 100mm lower and 100mm outward to bolt the short bed to the plate 3 x 1/2 BSW tapped holes). A100mm tool rest extension is also required to bring it back up onto centr line. This effectively increases the bowl turning capacity from 20 inch swing to about 28 inch swing, and leaves the bed in psition for smaller bowls and spindle turning. Given that you would prefer to work on the inboard side for bowl turning, and do not want to use a free standing rest, you could do what I have done, but on the inboard side. There are only 2 holes on the inboard side with dowels for bed location and the plate would need to be bigger depending on the swing required. The suggestion of items being threaded both ways (RH and LH) applies to faceplates and other adapters only and not to the actual spindle threads.
Hope this makes sense, and may be of some help.

Tudor

Tudor,

It certainly does :)

That does sound like a reasonably easy job. Almost bought a Union Graduate yesterday but have spent a lot recently and was a bit relaxed on my bidding. Need to sell a bit more of my fancy firewood and build up some funds. The more Ms BM tells me how ugly the Graduate is the more I want one. She thinks it looks Orwellian and whilst I tend to agree it only makes me want one more :)

Thanks, BM.

Back