UKWorkshop getting on the YouTube bandwagon?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gidon":dm5wst84 said:
Just try and use a tripod or a stack of books to rest the camera on
Ha hum - grandmothers? Eggs? :roll: :wink:

gidon":dm5wst84 said:
Your last reference to the Cary Grant film is far too clever for me :?!
Coconut milk? For baby coconuts? It's one that takes a while to fully dawn, it's true. Helps to flip your sense of humour to the surreal setting probably... 8-[ :lol:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Mel, or is it John, do I take it my pearls of wisdom aren't making it to a computer monitor near you? If so, don't say it too loud - they'll all want one. :wink:

Sorry Alf - didn't think it was so obvious for video stuff - wasn't to me anyway :oops:.

Well I guess I need to get things moving a little on this one. It seems from the replies that there is some interest - but video recording capabilities aren't as rife as I thought. Still please anyone interested give it a go and add to this thread. I'll try something else in the next week or so.

Cheers

Gidon

Alf wrote:
I've been using lamp oil
I use the same stuff on my DMT stones if its called heating oil (central heating stuff) and it has the added benefit that its really cheap, 'specially if you know someone what's got oil fired cental heating and you can 'obtain' the odd quart or so when the delivery man cometh. In addition, it is quite the best stuff I have ever come across for cleaning paint brushes - Rob

Here'smine.

It's very frustrating not being able to work the camera and perform at the same time.

Still getting quicker at editing - we filmed it just this afternoon and it's on the web now! (Better than 78 secs in 10 days, eh?).

EDIT - Apparently it's called the Rule of Thales. (Is that pronounced Tay-lees? Any Classicists here? Not me, I'm from Stoke.)

What a neat idea Steve. I've never come across it before, but it is an implementation of the 'angle in a semi-circle is a right angle' principle. I shall be making one of those in very short order.

very good Steve, certianly taught me something I didn't know before ;)

Thanks guys.
I really don't know where I got it from. An old FW, probably. It's something I've just always known, really. Maybe my dad showed it me, I really can't remember.

The headboard isn't really a very good example, because measuring diagonals would be more appropriate there, but it is useful if you are fixing something square where you don't have a diagonal to measure. And you can easily make huge ones for laying out in the garden - foundations, paths etc.

Does anyone know how to improve the lighting? That was done under two halogen site lights, and it still looks dark. It looked fine in the camcorder, but not after I transferred it to PC. I'm wondering if I have to set some sort of white balance on my cam. I thought it was automatic when I switch on. Still got lots to learn, obviously.

Good stuff Steve!

Where can I find "back-drop" curtains like yours? Very nice. :D

Can you not tweak the lighting with some software?

Forgive me if im wrong or missing something but isn't it easier to put a nail in a bit of timber and mark off the diagonal at the other end , then do the same on the other diagonal ?
P.S nice vid .

JFC":cioa7gv5 said:
... isn't it easier to put a nail in a bit of timber and mark off the diagonal at the other end , then do the same on the other diagonal ?

Hi Jason
Yes, that is perfectly OK, of course. But sometimes you don't have a diagonal to measure -either it's an open frame or there is something in the way. This is useful in those circumstances.

Steve
Excellent stuff! I love the tip - never heard of that one. And very professional video too.
With all that lighting you have - I would definately try a custom white balance if your camera has it - should be as simple as filling the frame with a piece of white paper or card and hitting a button. If no custom white balance try the different built in settings to see what works best. Your camera should be able to cope with those lighting conditions just fine. If it is getting confused on the exposure try some exposure compensation perhaps?
I must really get around to producing another clip of something.
I'll update the first post with our two links.
Cheers
Gidon

Ahhh you have a point there Steve but didn't that Pythagoras fella work all this out a million years ago http://www.teacherschoice.com.au/Maths_Library/Trigonometry/pythagoras_1.htm
I can see that its a handy tool to make for yourself but when Trend start charging lots of money for one 3 4 5 is a cheaper option .
Ive just noticed ive put a link up for a school page :oops: sorry chaps , i blame google !

I'm afraid I have to egree with JFC all it's a 345 in disguise. When all the points touch its the same.

If you use a 345 the angle is less than 90 if the right angle doesnt touch the corner and if it touches the corner but leaves gaps its bigger than 90.

Latest posts

Back