UKWorkshop getting on the YouTube bandwagon?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Since "broadcasting yourself" is the current and next big thing, how about members on this forum contribute some video clips on various woodworking techniques etc?

Could be really helpful for beginners but also a potentially very useful resource for everyone? And good fun too!

If anyone's up for it perhaps we could start with some suggestions of topics to cover - and then members can volunteer or be volunteered ;) against those topics. Not just one person per topic but as many as possible / want to do it?

Anyone with even a digital camera with movie capability can contribute. A tripod may be handy too. And there are many people here who can help with the editing / uploading if need be. If you're camera shy you don't have to show your face :)! You can also take a silent film and add an audio commentary afterwards - or get someone else too if you want!

So here are some obvious suggestions to get things rolling:

-Sharpening plane irons, sharpening chisels
-Cutting dovetails (by hand, with power tools)
-Cutting mortise and tenon joints (by hand, with power tools)

Suggestions from thread:
-The art of kickback - JFC ;)
-French Polishing - HS ?
-Accurate measuring and marking out.
-Tool reviews.

They could be as short or long as you like.

So what do people think? If you like the idea then please add some suggestions. Nothing quite like something shown on video.

Cheers

Gidon

I can demonstrate the art of launching a piece of timber across the workshop whilst screaming blue murder , I have perfected it and can miss the window every time :lol:

JFC":307t64op said:
I can demonstrate the art of launching a piece of timber across the workshop whilst screaming blue murder , I have perfected it and can miss the window every time :lol:

Now JFC, you have surprised me :roll: :wink: 8-[
( ducking and running for the car :wink: )

Seems like a very good idea.
Then the learners like myself can watch and learn how it's done properly.
I'm being starved of info at the moment, seeing as the Discovery Channel in its wisdom has taken off air the woodworking programmes broadcast during the day.
Go for it :D

Chris.

JFC / Colin - I'll add a Misc category then shall I ;)!
HS - doesn't your digital camera have video mode?
A French polishing tutorial would be superb.
Cheers
Gidon

Excellent idea. I'm sure that video is the future for this kind of thing, that's why I'm writing my DVD series (shameless plug - and did I mention my Blog?).

But be warned:
1. Video CAN take up HUGE amounts of disk space. I have 78 seconds to date, and in DV AVI format it is 280mb. That is not a typo! Not all formats are as hungry, of course, and I think WIndows Movie Maker makes reasonably small ones, it just doesn't give me the editing functionality I want.

2. It takes up huge amounts of time. One way and another, that 78 seconds has taken me over a week to produce. OK, I'm learning how to do it and should get quicker, but it isn't something you can just knock off in a couple of hours. It's here , by the way, if you are interested. Why has it taken so long? Well that was Take 32. I've been trying out various editing packages, Roxio, CyberLink and Adobe. All work similarly but Adobe is by far the best. I was pulling my hair our just trying to get the raw material from the CC to the PC with Cyberlink, and Roxio kept giving me errors.
Then the clip itself needed dubbing. It was very windy when we filmed, and there was lots of wind noise on the mic. So I've muted the soundtrack and dubbed in the speech. It's not perfect yet, but it's not bad. I need to work on the sync a bit. Then I've overlaid a track of birdsong. Then I added the music (2 tracks, overlaid - it's one guy playing both tracks) and finally the fading in and out. Then it has to be rendered. All this is new to me.

3. It's addictive! I've had more than one 2am finish this week, trying to get it right, working out how to get what I want. I should be making a bed, but instead I'm glued to my PC!

I'll contribute. Count me in.

the thing with compress video, a la YouTube, is that the quality drops. This makes it diffucult when trying to demonstrate, say... which side of the pencil line one is cutting. Or the thickness of a plane shaving.

Good Idea never the less, i'd be interested for sure.

Steve
Agree it is addictive and very very time consuming! Yep the DV format takes up lots of space. But for this sort of thing you can soon compress it down for uploading to YouTube. In fact, if you're short of disc space, something like Pinnacle Studio that I use will allow you to edit without downloading the whole clip first to your HDD, and then only pulls of the HQ material for the final render.
But these YouTube clips can't be too big anyway - 10 mins / 100MB max. May get decent results with a digital camera if the lighting is ok.
Like your video so far! Sony Vegas always gets rave reviews for editing. And Pinnacle I find ok but buggy.
Wizer
Yes agree - will be interesting to see what sort of results we can get. I think good lighting will help and also limited movement as much as you can. Plus finding a format that converts to YouTube well (YouTube recommend uploading DIVx/MPEG-4 files.)
Guess I'll have to have a go at something myself and see how it comes out :)? Would probably be useful to get some sort of user guide together too, to help people with their chosen topic!
Cheers
Gidon

I am not good enough to contribute any skills, but could someone show the art of measuring and marking out properly, emphasising how important it is.

Good suggestion Gary. Hopefully we'll get a volunteer for that one!
For anyone not keen to contribute a technique, we could also have tool reviews. That a nice easy one that anybody can do?
Cheers
Gidon

Well I has some fun this evening having a go at a video showing my favoured sharpening technique for chisels. You can see for yourselves, but I think the video quality is good enough for this to be a worthwhile exercise. Shame about the content and presenter ;).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDoRLdR4zC0
I recorded this with a miniDV camcorder, edited it in Pinnacle Studio and outputted to MPEG-4 format as recommended by YouTube.
Cheers
Gidon

good work gidon
ive got about 20 chisels that need sharpening :cry:
would you like to borrow them for your next video :)
what make of angle setter is that ???
mel

gary wayne
I am not good enough to contribute any skills, but could someone show the art of measuring and marking out properly, emphasising how important it is.

omg

Nice video Gidon, I suspect many people learnt a lot from that

I like your idea, but no video camera....

I stand corrected. Very good film Gidon. Very useful too. Maybe you can tour the country filming people in their workshop ;)

Back