UKWorkshop getting on the YouTube bandwagon?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks folks for the encouraging comments.
Steve - well the file I uploaded was quite large, but YouTube compresses it down anyway to <300Kbps - that clip ends up around 8MB. I don't particuarly like the Flash video format - very blocky. But makes this video sites accessible to almost everyone. What codec are you using for your web clips?
Thanks Mel ;)! That's a Veritas Mk II honing jig - very well thought out gadget. What was your other post? Were your offering to do a video on measuring and marking out ;)?
Gary - the film is 3M microfinishing film. I got it here. The non sticky stuff is cheaper and works fine for this method - it clings to the stone with just the oil. The green stuff was 0.5 micron and the grey stuff was 5 micron.
Phil - yep I can show a plane blade being sharpened too if you like. It's pretty much the same - just that I use DC's ruler trick for polishing the back.
Tony - shame - not even a digital camera or web cam? Or a kind friend ;)? I never got to see your houndstooth demo at Phil's do :(.
Wizer - the tripod really helped. You can see when there's any movement the quality deteriorates - but I was pleasantly surprised by the end quality too.
Microsoft have just produced their own YouTube:
http://soapbox.msn.com/ - looks quite nice - but just tried the video and quality is about the same I think.
Keep the comments, suggestions coming in!
Cheer
Gidon

Nice video Gidon, thanks.

I'd not seen that microfinishing film before - very interesting.

Just satisfy my curiosity if you will. What would be the difference on that end gain scrap if you had honed the microbevel on just the extrafine CMT stone?

Andy

Good work Gidon. I think more of us should be doing some small video's like these - and there's no reason why they can't be added to a UKWorkshop podcast (similar to Matts basement or WoodWhisperer) I would be happy to do some editing and get the podcast and rss together if there were other video's.

Thanks Andy. You can quite happily finish on the 1200 grit DMT. But polishing on the 0.5 micron makes quite a difference - especially noticeable planing. And cutting that end grain there would some grain pulled apart - with the polishing stage the surface is left completely smooth. It's also easier to push the chisel on that specific cut. Supposedly the edge should also last longer because there are no serrations to tear off - but that's harder to confirm.
I find this method a lot quicker and less messy that getting out my waterstones.
Byron - I was thinking if it took off of initially just a having sticky or something with links to the contributed videos. But no reason we couldn't then extend that to a more sophisticated method of updating and delivering the videos. Thanks for the offer. Will have to check out "WoodWhisperer".
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon, Byron.

I used to be a film extra. If you need someone to casually walk past, or be sitting in the background whilst you are filming, Ill be happy to oblige.

gidon":11ch0rhe said:
Steve - What codec are you using for your web clips?

Good Q. I'm only just learning about codecs, I think I just picked whatever was the default output. I'm not even sure if I'm answering your Q sensibly.

I've replaced the AVI file with a WMA. It's now got the titles on it. It's about the same size, and that uses the WMA9 codec in PAL256 format. I think! Does that make any kind of sense?

It all double-dutch to me. I've got some serious reading to do.

One thing I have discovered is that a normal 17" CRT is less than ideal for video editing. I NEED a 32" high definition widescreen...

Gidon, that video was excellent =D> =D> That microfinishing film looks good stuff - and I'm glad to see someone else who uses oil with diamond stones. Much less messy than water and no fear of rust problems :wink:

Paul

Steve Maskery":2tsffzyi said:
One thing I have discovered is that a normal 17" CRT is less than ideal for video editing. I NEED a 32" high definition widescreen...

Why stop at 32"? :lol: :lol:

Gary - so is "Extras" an accurate portrayal ;)!
Steve - it is confusing - there are loads of codecs you can use and the confusing things is they come in a variety of "wrappers" (which give the file its extension.) Anyhow the WMA9 is a windows media audio codec - so your video is probably encoded with some windows media codec too. These usually give pretty good results and play on most modern computers. Then of course you have to choose the window size, frame rate and bitrate. 320x240 is a good starting point. 25 fps is what PAL uses and is plenty. And the bitrate should be somewhere between 250k and 750k for web based video - depends on the users connection and the length of the video. You can see why sites like YouTube just take your video and reprocess it themselves!
David - high praise indeed - thank you!
Paul - thanks - agree - baby oil as a FWW article mentioned works pretty well for me.
Cheers
Gidon

Ah.... Baby oil. must try that.

I think DMT used to suggest that 3 in 1 type oils might do harm to the polycarbonate plastic substrate.

Trend have a theory that water is too thick for their diamond stones and sell the very expensive anti rust fluid.

David

David C":19fh29so said:
I think DMT used to suggest that 3 in 1 type oils might do harm to the polycarbonate plastic substrate.

I've used WD40 (and sometimes 3 in 1) on my DMT stones for several years with no adverse affect on the polycarbonate plastic substrate :wink:

Paul

Proper job, Gidon. Wanna come round and do all mine? :D I would have commented before but the blasted thing wouldn't load completely for some reason. Might have been confused 'cos it wasn't Jane Eyre related... 8-[ :oops:

And fwiw I've been using lamp oil (paraffin for the nasally sensitive) for years on my DMTs now with no apparent ill effects.

Cheers, Alf

David - DMT still recommend water on their website, but white spirit works just as well and won't rust. BUT it's makes me feel nauseas - baby oil is far more pleasant :). Will have to watch out for it eroding those pricey bench stones though!
Thanks Alf (did you like the BBC Jane Eyre adaptation then - my wife love it (I enjoyed it too)?) I would be happy to have a go with yours if you like. Have you any way of recording some raw footage? If not I'm sure we can sort something out - we're not a million miles from each other (although it sometimes feels like it ;)).
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":cocsamiy said:
David - DMT still recommend water on their website

I was in correspondence with Starkie & Starkie (they used to import and distribute DMT stones) some years ago and mentioned in passing that I used WD40 on mine. They commented that this sounded a good alternative for those who did not want to use water and did not envisage any problems for the stones. On the other hand, I see lots of potential problems in using water - the metal of the stone can rust, as can blades, as can honing guides. OK, you can wipe them but it's not easy to guarantee dryness in the unheated winter workshop. Then there's all that black, messy gunge when you sharpen using water - all seems a lot of bother to me. I'll stick to WD40 :wink:

Paul

gidon":2om87ny9 said:
Thanks Alf (did you like the BBC Jane Eyre adaptation then - my wife love it (I enjoyed it too)?
Well I managed to concentrate more on the story than the furniture on the set, so a BAFTA winner if ever there was one :wink: Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected - being forced to read it 20 years ago while actually at a modern version of Lowood never made it one of my favourite books. Sheesh, right old soap opera plot though, eh? :lol:

gidon":2om87ny9 said:
Have you any way of recording some raw footage? If not I'm sure we can sort something out - we're not a million miles from each other (although it sometimes feels like it ;)).
Heck, Devon is another country after all... :lol: I suppose I could have a shot with TPTB's camera in "movie mode" - I know mine's hopeless. It's finding the Tuits, as usual, so the world is probably safe for a while longer. 8-[

Baby oil, to stop your baby squeaking... Reminds me of a one liner in a Cary Grant film (sorry, altogether too girlie a post this one) in which he's handed coconut milk to drink. He tries it, pulls a face then remembers he's supposed to be being polite and smacking his lips says "Mmm, mmm. Baby coconuts must love it"

Cheers, Alf

Don't mind me; I'm in a very odd mood this week. And no comments about "what d'you mean 'this week'?" please...

have you got a sore throat alf ???
thats two blank messages
arrrr the silence :lol:

Alf":3sh7js41 said:
Sheesh, right old soap opera plot though, eh?

Yep and my wife never told me there were 4, hour long episodes! Still saves me ever having to read the novel ;).

Alf":3sh7js41 said:
I suppose I could have a shot with TPTB's camera in "movie mode" - I know mine's hopeless.

Yep I'm sure that'd do the trick. As I mentioned - YouTube reduces it significantly anyway. Just try and use a tripod or a stack of books to rest the camera on - really helps the compression and hence the quality. Give me a shout if you want any help.

Your last reference to the Cary Grant film is far too clever for me :?!

Cheers

Gidon

Back