UKWorkshop getting on the YouTube bandwagon?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,
nice video and excellant gadget which should not be too difficult to make.
Thanks for sharing.

From your link.... The Coincidence of a Harmonic Sequence with the Square Root Rectangle Progression..
Yeah explains it all :shock: :roll:

Andy

Well, prompted by Vormulac's post, I went up to my shed at lunchtime and did a quick video on sharpening with waterstones. And for filsgreen's sake I used a plane iron this time :). This is by no means the definitive guide on using waterstones and it quickly reminded me why I prefer to use my diamond stones (camcorders and waterstone sludge don't mix well)! But may be useful to someone out there for getting started at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DT-YwGHgc
Sorry about the croaky voice!
Still looking forward to others contributing their video masterpieces ;)!
Cheers
Gidon
(Steve how come you've got 3 times as many hits on your video than I have? I know you're an international superstar 'n all but still :lol:.

That was excellent, Gidon =D> Just as a matter of interest, how do you find waterstones compare with diamond stones and the film that you used in your previous video? (not the mess, just the end result :lol: )

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul! I get a better edge using the 0.5 micron microfilm. Not sure if it's just because the microfilm is finer "grit" - I guess a finer waterstone should give a more comparable result? According to Norton0.5 micron is equivalent to a 15,000 grit waterstone!
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks Gidon. Might give that film a try one day - currently I use diamond stones, WD40 and a leather strop which I'm very pleased with.

Paul

Paul - I'm not sure you'll find much difference versus you leather strop. The microfilm really takes it from sharp to really sharp like your leather strop. For me it's just a little more controlled and consistant than using a strop. If you want to try the film I can send you bit if you like - just PM me.
Cheers
Gidon

Good clip on sharpening with waterstones. I used to have the same waterstone bath but I cut a large hole in my sharpening table so that the rim of the bath was level with the table surface - just made it lower that's all and maybe slightly easier to use....but the mess :evil: .....wonder who Paul got that leather strop idea from :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":2yt02tqj said:
.....wonder who Paul got that leather strop idea from :lol: - Rob

At Ally Pally on Saturday, Mike Husdon from Clifton was demonstrating the use of a strop and was explaining how it's best to occasionally scrape off the build-up of polishing compound, so I shared with him your excellent idea of mixing the polishing compound with Vaseline to keep the strop supple and stop the build up - he seemed quite interested :D

Paul

Thanks Rob. I bought the waterstone pond pretty much exactly the same time I gave up on waterstones! It's neat if you use waterstones though. And the decent sized piece of toughened glass is handy.
Cheers
Gidon

Paul Chapman wrote;
mixing the polishing compound with Vaseline
Paul - I've noticed that there still is a build up of goo towards the bottom of the strop which needs to be removed. I'm having some thoughts on using liquid paraffin on the strop (instead of Vaseline) which ought to give a more 'soapy' (if that's the right term) sort of consistency on the leather....not sure, will have to have a play around - Rob

woodbloke":trc2cyd1 said:
I'm having some thoughts on using liquid paraffin on the strop

Well it might speed things up - they often use liquid paraffin as a laxative :shock: :shock: :lol:

Paul

That reminds me (I have no idea why), Gidon, where did you obtain your ultra fine honing film-type stuff? It looks the business, but the only places I've found selling it over here are large wholesale suppliers who haven't deigned to reply to any of my emails. :(

V.

Very good Steve! I like the idea of different widths and thicknesses in one. What wood did you use and how did you cut them - any neat tricks? We seem to be a two man band on this thread - must be some other budding film makers here?
V. - this is where I got the film from: Tools for Working Wood. Not the cheapest but I only use it for the final step so doesn't work out expensive. And if you're careful with it it lasts quite well. You can get adhesive backed film too (twice the price). Mount this on some glass for good results.
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Gidon
They are all cut from a length of cherry.
I took an offcut and thicknessed it down to 12mm. I have a panel sander so it's easy to take off a small amount, and a digital vernier makes for accurate measuring. Then I cut off a few inches.

I then thicknessed it down to 10mm and did the same.

The last bit I stuck down with DS tape before thicknessing.

For the lengths, I have an accurate stop on my SCMS (or RAS, as it was at the time). Final trimming was with a shooting board. Again the digital Verniers are a boon.

I made them for my mortiser, but they are useful on the router too, especially on my older Elu96, which just has that stupid flag thingy.

Cheers
Steve

Back