Trim router recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbier

Established Member
Reaction score
I am toying with getting a trim router. I mostly use the router for small dado and edging on 18mm plywood and getting out the big and loud router (for neighbors) is unwieldy.
I was wondering if I should go for this offer or save up some more for something like the Bosch GFK600 or Makita RT0702CX4/2 (I am mostly going on brand knowledge here).

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/de...wZrD6pTRmAz97jqhPkBLjWdO9pOW4P0RoCeL0QAvD_BwE
What are your thoughts?

Thanks, I did read that thread but no mention of the DeWalt.

I've also read very mixed reviews of the Katsu and it's only £35 more for a recognised brand with good custom service back up.

My concern is the DeWalt at 'only' 590w might not be powerful enough but I don't really know what it's cutting capabilities would be. The fact the same people use the 600w Bosch as a table router implies it's in the region of being enough.

Other things that I'm not sure on is the other bases. Are tilting and offset bases really useful for general woodworking?

If you do a lot of router trimming, then a step up to the DEWALT D26200 1/4" VARIABLE SPEED FIXED BASE ROUTER 900W probably a better option.
I have both this and the battery trimmer which is the same lower power as the one you linked to.
The smaller motor one doesn't handle as easily on longer runs, but is handy for smaller jobs.

If you do a lot of router trimming, then a step up to the DEWALT D26200 1/4" VARIABLE SPEED FIXED BASE ROUTER 900W probably a better option.
I have both this and the battery trimmer which is the same lower power as the one you linked to.
The smaller motor one doesn't handle as easily on longer runs, but is handy for smaller jobs.
I did see that one and it looks great but it's double the cost of the smaller one, would you say it's worth it? Maybe I should carry on saving for that one. I do have a routing option but I just avoid it as I don't like it

I'd definitely go with the D26200 as first option.
I also use it my cnc a lot and push it hard, never given me a problem.
I tend to use the lighter one for simple round overs and small light cuts only.

Maybe I should go for the Katsu as a tide-me-over and to prove the worth of a smaller router and then if/when it dies I might feel more comfortable splashing on the 26200

Look at something that can take different bases, it makes it far more versatile and ready for task you may not yet have thought about, a plunge base is very handy. I use a Bosch GKF600 and the TE600 plunge base and it is a good little router.

I bought the Katsu. Seems well made but it vibrates quite a bit. I replaced it with the cheap Trend router. Not so compact but much smoother.

Bought the Katsu, used it for 10 minutes, sold it.
A trim router to me is far inferior to a decent 1/4" plunge router with more power, proper base and fences. The price of a Katsu would be better put towards the price of a second fence and a pair of long rods.
I would be interested to try a cordless trimmer but only when combined with a teardrop base to improve it's stability.

I have the Makita and its clone, the Katsu. The Makita is the better and, likely, more reliable of the two, but in practice the main difference lies with the run out. The Makita is excellent, and the Katsu ordinary. Replacing the router bit holder solved this. Just one more expense and then you question whether the Katsu was a savings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Anyone with experience of the Metabo FM 500-6? Seems to be one of the cheaper ones that doesn't look so obviously a Makita clone (Draper, Von Hous, Rutland, Katsu, Erbauer all look the same from the outside)

Ah yeah, I was thinking corded. I like the idea of cordless but I'm always near a plug and I don't think it's worth the extra cost and hassle of charging the batteries for me.

I do have the Bosch professional battery range but they don't have a cordless trim router.

Thanks, I did read that thread but no mention of the DeWalt.

I've also read very mixed reviews of the Katsu and it's only £35 more for a recognised brand with good custom service back up.

My concern is the DeWalt at 'only' 590w might not be powerful enough but I don't really know what it's cutting capabilities would be. The fact the same people use the 600w Bosch as a table router implies it's in the region of being enough.

Other things that I'm not sure on is the other bases. Are tilting and offset bases really useful for general woodworking?
Sorry I didn't notice that you were asking about DeWalt.

Ironically after deciding on Makita I ended up getting the DeWalt D26200. It was on offer from FFX and I quite liked the idea of also having the plunge base having seen one at the Harrogate show. It's definitely OTT for what I needed but it's a really well made bit of kit and has a three year guarantee.

I have the little Katsu and think its great, But I bought it a few years ago when it seemed ridiculously cheap, if I was buying now and found the Dewalt at only £35 more I suspect I would go with one of them, but if you can get a Katsu cheap then I would happily buy one again. They are a breeze to use compared to my big Makita or Elu.

In the Uk the Bosch GKF600 is fixed speed and 600 watts yet the American version is the Colt but it has variable speed and over 700 watts so why the difference, the variable speed would be nice.

Back