Makita RT0702C trim router collet size confusion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight

Reaction score
I just bought this Makita RT0702CX2 trim router kit from Fastfix:
https://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita-rt0702cx2-router-trimmer.html
The Makita UK website states the router comes with 6mm and 8mm collets, but I only appear to have the 6mm collet included.

Questions:
1. Can anyone confirm which collet(s) they got with this router?

2. As I'm yet to purchase any router bits, what's the preferable shank size? Is bigger always better due to better stability and strength?

3. Does anyone use a 6.35mm (1/4") collet with this router, as there doesn't appear to be an official collet available in the UK?

4. What shank size is most commonly used with this router?

5. Why are there so few 6mm & 8mm router bits available, when these routers are sold with metric collets in most areas outside of America?

As a first time router user, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have that kit you linked to, bought quite a number of years ago and used regularly. I'd have to look as I have several other routers and parts can get mixed up but I don't remember it coming with an 8mm collet.

As far as cutters are concerned 8mm are not used often but I really don't understand your comment about availability of 6mm as they are very easily obtained and there are hundreds available. I have lots of individual bits and a couple of sets as well. All the major manufacturers sell them though of course quality varies. 1/4" (6.35) is only usefull outside of the USA if you have a supply of old size bits though you can still buy them in the UK.

EDIT
I've just looked at that link and it doesn't say that 8 mm collet is included as far as I can see it says "
  • Collet Capacity: 6mm and 8mm (1/4")" which is a very different description
here is a huge set of cheapies but all the profiles and many more are available in better quality tooling
https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9....AYIAJSGcrnK0IORwoBrdnpE6TaQKrAhBoCYYYQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
The advert says it's a 1/4" router so I would presume it comes with a 1/4" collet? Check before you buy any bits as you don't want to be putting 6mm bits in a 1/4" collet....

Thank you both for your replies.

I agree that the Fastfix website only talks about collet capacity. But it is the Makita UK website that states this router "Comes with 6 and 8 mm collets", so I assumed that would be the case regardless of where I bought it in the UK.
https://www.makitauk.com/product/rt0702c.html
To add to the confusion, the Fastfix product page says this under specification: "Collet Capacity: 6mm and 8mm (1/4")"

Glad to hear 6mm bits are easily found, are there any starter kits you recommend? Any reason to choose 8mm over 6mm if there are both options with any given bit or set?

It seems that when searching for router bits on Amazon and other sites, 1/4" or 1/2" seem by miles to be the most common in the UK, which I find odd if outside the US, most countries use metric. Maybe it's because I'm just looking at kits at the moment?

I did check the collet that came with my router using calipers, and it's definitely bang on 6mm. But this is part of the problem - some places seem to use 1/4" and 6mm interchangeably, as if they are the same thing, when they clearly aren't!

The router has been sold under a couple of model numbers (specifically RT0700) and in both corded and cordless formats. Often the spares pages do not get updated when the model number increases.

If you search too narrowly for the model number, you may be disappointed.

Find the genuine Makita part number for the item and search under that.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-763618-5-collet-cone-8mm-for-rt0700c-rp0900-1 (note that the URL says it is an 8mm collet, but it is 1/4").

Katsu is a knock-off Makita and uses the same collets.

I rang Makita and spoke to a helpful guy, so I maybe a step closer to solving the mystery...

Makita confirmed the information on this link that states "Comes with 6 and 8 mm collets" is INCORRECT and they will look into amending the page:
https://www.makitauk.com/product/rt0702c.html#tab_content_8
Makita also confirmed that they do NOT sell this router in any form in the UK with metric (6mm or 8mm) collets. They are saying in the UK it's only ever sold with a 1/4" (6mm/8mm collets can of course still be bought separately).

I've emailed Fastfix to ask them what size collet they think they supply with the kit I bought, and await their reply.

In the meantime I've measured my collet again with basic digital calipers and it's showing around 6.15 to 6.20mm. Almost exactly in the middle of a 6mm and 1/4" collet, so I realise I haven't got precise enough equipment to be sure which it is.

I'm going to order some 1/4" cutters and see if they fit perfectly. Makita have asked me to report back to them, because they'd like to know if they or Fastfix have mistakenly supplied anything other than a 1/4" collet.

I would have said 6mm bits are far more difficult to find than 8mm bits. There's no particular reason to choose between 1/4" and 8mm, the 8mm shank is obviously going to be slightly stronger and less prone to bending than a 1/4" shank, but the only reason you might get an 8mm collet is if you buy a bit that requires it that's not available in 1/4" although this is relatively rare there are occasions a manufacturer will produce certain bits in 8mm shank only.

I would have said 6mm bits are far more difficult to find than 8mm bits. There's no particular reason to choose between 1/4" and 8mm, the 8mm shank is obviously going to be slightly stronger and less prone to bending than a 1/4" shank, but the only reason you might get an 8mm collet is if you buy a bit that requires it that's not available in 1/4" although this is relatively rare there are occasions a manufacturer will produce certain bits in 8mm shank only.
Thank you - that makes sense.

I've checked my router and it certainly has only one collet, unfortunately not stamped but believe it is indeed 1/4". I also dug out the instructions and have scanned the last couple of pages, interestingly it states collets are available in 6mm, 1/4", 8mm and 3/8".
I have at least 50 or 60 cutters that fir this and my small Elu and checked just a few with a vernier and they vary from less than 6.00mm to 6.44.. You are more likely to get accurate shank dia withy quality brands. What I would state categorically is that using the Makita and the Elu 96E I've never experienced a cutter slipping so there's presumably enough give to grip satisfactorily which rather mkes a mockery of the different collets.

I forgot I got a Makita starter set of 3 with the router kit though it might have been an add on from the supplier, I can't remember and haven't used them yet. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Makita router 1.jpg
    Makita router 1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Makita router 2.jpg
    Makita router 2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
1/4" are far more common but 6mm shank are not too difficult to find.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Prof...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RYOBI-RAKR...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-R...3&psc=1&mcid=c5f1168cd1b438308ae4b138b6f7f606https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/9002700075

I've checked my router and it certainly has only one collet, unfortunately not stamped but believe it is indeed 1/4". I also dug out the instructions and have scanned the last couple of pages, interestingly it states collets are available in 6mm, 1/4", 8mm and 3/8".
I have at least 50 or 60 cutters that fir this and my small Elu and checked just a few with a vernier and they vary from less than 6.00mm to 6.44.. You are more likely to get accurate shank dia withy quality brands. What I would state categorically is that using the Makita and the Elu 96E I've never experienced a cutter slipping so there's presumably enough give to grip satisfactorily which rather mkes a mockery of the different collets.

I forgot I got a Makita starter set of 3 with the router kit though it might have been an add on from the supplier, I can't remember and haven't used them yet. :)

Interesting thanks. Your manual is different to mine. Mine makes no mention of 3/8" being an option at all, but as it happens the guy I spoke to at Makita seemed to think this router does accept a 3/8" collet. All very confusing and he had to call me back after double-checking everything he told me, because he was beginning to doubt everything he thought he knew about this model router by the end of the call!

In terms of the 6mm vs 1/4" question, I suspect, as you suggest, lots of people are unwittingly using 6mm and 1/4" bits/collets interchangeably without even realising. The Makita guy said he's even heard people say they don't bother with the collet nut sometimes 😱. Probably because they're occasionally wedging a 1/4" bit into a 6mm collet!?!

The router you're looking at is a later version of mine but I'd be very surprised if the specs have changed much. Anyway bearing in mind it's a 1/4" collet ant that's the most common size with biggest choice I wouldn't worry about it.
You can buy a set but it's highly likely you'll never have need of most of the profiles, my advice would be buy just a few decent quality and add individully as you have a need. Cheap bits are ok for limited light use but if you get one break it's potentially a bit dangerous.

I rang Makita and spoke to a helpful guy, so I maybe a step closer to solving the mystery...

Makita confirmed the information on this link that states "Comes with 6 and 8 mm collets" is INCORRECT and they will look into amending the page:
https://www.makitauk.com/product/rt0702c.html#tab_content_8
Makita also confirmed that they do NOT sell this router in any form in the UK with metric (6mm or 8mm) collets. They are saying in the UK it's only ever sold with a 1/4" (6mm/8mm collets can of course still be bought separately).

I've emailed Fastfix to ask them what size collet they think they supply with the kit I bought, and await their reply.

In the meantime I've measured my collet again with basic digital calipers and it's showing around 6.15 to 6.20mm. Almost exactly in the middle of a 6mm and 1/4" collet, so I realise I haven't got precise enough equipment to be sure which it is.

I'm going to order some 1/4" cutters and see if they fit perfectly. Makita have asked me to report back to them, because they'd like to know if they or Fastfix have mistakenly supplied anything other than a 1/4" collet.
I have the battery version that came with 1/4 and a 8mm ring. Mostly use 1/4 bit as I have them and have a few 8mm when larger shank is useful eg bigger cutter or spiral cutters

It does, it's in the plastic baggie with a couple of other bits.
My first post!
This string matches my experience.
I am fortunate in having been able to upgrade to a medium sized route (Festool OF1400) some years ago which has 1/4”, and 1/2” collets as well as a metric one in between. The imperial bits are so ubiquitous in the UK that I have bought nothing else over the years, (mostly Trend and latterly Wealden) and so have never used the Festool metric collet.
I had the battery powered 1/4” Makita for Christmas. I was a bit worried that some descriptions showed it as coming only with 6mm and 8mm so was resigned to having to buy a 1/4” one later. But hurrah it came with 1/4” so all is well. It also came with what looks to be an 8mm one buried in the corner of the plastic bag holding other bits and pieces but I am leaving that unused.

I’ve bought 6mm shank router bits from these folks. Good quality and prices. They also sell through eBay and Amazon. They sell lots of different types. Just one example.

https://www.rennietool.co.uk/collec...ute-up-cut-router-bits?variant=19797881782345
Thanks, that's good to know - much better prices than most places I've seen for spiral bits.

The router you're looking at is a later version of mine but I'd be very surprised if the specs have changed much. Anyway bearing in mind it's a 1/4" collet ant that's the most common size with biggest choice I wouldn't worry about it.
You can buy a set but it's highly likely you'll never have need of most of the profiles, my advice would be buy just a few decent quality and add individully as you have a need. Cheap bits are ok for limited light use but if you get one break it's potentially a bit dangerous.
I've seen a lot of similar advice about buying kits, so just went for this fairly small kit that I hope is reasonable quality, as I know I want to use chamfer, flush trim, round over, straight and rebate bits already. https://amzn.to/3Sidn00

I agree that from this point onwards I should only buy quality individual ones as needed though.

My first post!
This string matches my experience.
I am fortunate in having been able to upgrade to a medium sized route (Festool OF1400) some years ago which has 1/4”, and 1/2” collets as well as a metric one in between. The imperial bits are so ubiquitous in the UK that I have bought nothing else over the years, (mostly Trend and latterly Wealden) and so have never used the Festool metric collet.
I had the battery powered 1/4” Makita for Christmas. I was a bit worried that some descriptions showed it as coming only with 6mm and 8mm so was resigned to having to buy a 1/4” one later. But hurrah it came with 1/4” so all is well. It also came with what looks to be an 8mm one buried in the corner of the plastic bag holding other bits and pieces but I am leaving that unused.
Congratulations on your first post and thanks for the info. Very interesting to know yours included an 8mm collet as well.
I've checked the entire case and all bags, but definitely no other collet included in mine. Just the one that was in the router, that I now believe is 1/4".

Last edited:
I just bought this Makita RT0702CX2 trim router kit from Fastfix:
https://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita-rt0702cx2-router-trimmer.html
The Makita UK website states the router comes with 6mm and 8mm collets, but I only appear to have the 6mm collet included.

Questions:
1. Can anyone confirm which collet(s) they got with this router?

2. As I'm yet to purchase any router bits, what's the preferable shank size? Is bigger always better due to better stability and strength?

3. Does anyone use a 6.35mm (1/4") collet with this router, as there doesn't appear to be an official collet available in the UK?

4. What shank size is most commonly used with this router?

5. Why are there so few 6mm & 8mm router bits available, when these routers are sold with metric collets in most areas outside of America?

As a first time router user, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I bought mine in Spain and it only came with a 6.35mm Collet, I would imagine putting a 8mm bit in this router would probably overload the motor if youre using this as a cnc spindle.

I dont have any problems finding decent bits for it over here.

Advice Don't put too larger bit in this router, it is a trimmer not a full size machine by any means so when you use it take material off in smaller bites, its more forgiving then.

Its a brilliant router, mine came with a full suite of accessories and it works very well for its size.

Its the favored machine that is used as a spindle in small to medium size CNC machines because its that good and it will work all day as long as you treat it with care.

If you're finding that you are using it more than a trim router then buy a larger machine because you need one, they have the power needed for larger bits and can work twice as fast and take off much more material in one pass.

Remember to mind your fingers always as this thing bites😁

Back