Toilet roll holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc-mtbr

Established Member
Reaction score
After my first couple of practises i decided to make something of use, swimbo decided we needed a toilet roll holder downstairs so i set to it.

Finding dry timber was my first drama and used a piece of sapele NikNak gave me was the base, the stem was from a piece of oak that used to be a square table leg.

The sapele was horrid to turn and hard as iron will not be my first choice of wood !!

The oak i found ok but difficult to get clean cuts so many trips to the grinder were required for a good finish.

I appreciate the design is not to everyones taste but its functional and the 3 blocks fit the rolls so the all sit square on top of each other. More importantly is swimbo is happy thus extending my time allowance for the shed, winner!! :lol:

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

Thanks all, i'm quickly looking round for something else i can make between centres (no chuck) and positive feedback always inspires to get back outside quick sticks.
Dry timber is now the quest as the three blocks i've used as practise have split already 1 apple, 2 oak.
Could do with a craft fair locally i think for some inspiration.

ps Blue roll is for shed spillages (not of the bladder) used to show scale

If you are looking for dry wood and you live in or near the countryside just go for a walk and there will be loads of small bits that nobody will mind you lifting.

If you find some that you really like then find out who owns it and ask. Give them a piece that you have turned from their wood. They will 1. love it and 2. give you more wood than you can handle if you are lucky!!

well i do have free run of a tree surgeons cuttings, thing is it generally less than six months old and still wet to the point it crack once you have turned it al ittle, hey ho i have made a dry area at the house so just need to wait and let my supply dry out.

next time i'm passing i'll drop off a few dry blanks - it wont be this week as ive buggered up my ankle and i'm not up to long drives but may be next week sometime

big soft moose":3dxg3ijp said:
next time i'm passing i'll drop off a few dry blanks - it wont be this week as ive buggered up my ankle and i'm not up to long drives but may be next week sometime
Sorry to hear that mate - we could always do a relay given that I'm working in Aylesbury....

Miles

Thanks all,
Moose, miles you guys rock, just give me a time etc and the kettle will be on might even throw in a biscuit

Tony....

I don't think the base was a piece of Sapele, as i don't remember giving you any of that. I think that was the bit of Kapur i gave you.... was it sort of thrup'ny bit shaped..? in which case, yeah.... hard as hell, horrid to turn, but a good finish is easily achievable.

Very nice for a first(?) attempt..... better than my dibber anyway.

Nick

yeah that was the piece niknak, Kapur? interesting, strike that off my wish list of exotic timbers!!
Overall yeah i am pleasede with it, sufficient to the point where my boss popped in for a coffee and demanded i make her one!!

Back