Veritas Scraper blade holder.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeless Squirrel

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying one of the Veritas blade holders according to a snip of info it comes with a blade?
Is there blade pack worth the cost?,mind is 4 blades
Other gadget looked at was the Varible burnisher plus that also comes with a blade "Brucie Bonus but nothing for the Fluffy toy though!":)
Wondering as only good i guess for the square sort of blades so is it a more worth while thing for those using in holder or Stanley 80 and use something else for the odd shaped ones if get them?
Ive some Oak tables to scrape plus my chopping boards making along with a few its like painted doors etc

I don`t use a holder personally, the thing with scraping is, you never get the burr exactly the same on each sharpen and the wood has different resistance depending on its grain etc. So the ability to flex and adjust the scraper accordingly is important. If your thumbs start to burn you can stick a flat magnet (like a fridge magnet) on the back or cut the thumbs off some cheap work gloves.

I have a Stanley 81 but dont often use it, by the time its set I could have just done it with a card scraper.

I have Various card scrapers in different thicknesses and brands Veritas, Crown, Bahco they are all fine. My personal favourite is a nice thick Bahco one.
For burnishers I have tried a couple, the best is the Arno double sided one. That veritas variable burnisher thing is a good waste of 35 quid if you ask me, you don`t need to be that precise, it only takes a few passes freehand and its sorted.

Ollie

Last edited:
@Ollie78 Reason i looked at the holder is have issues with hands/grip esp doing anything repetitively as grip stops working and can't use hands.
Why off for a week in hospital to do tests on breathing and see if have Myasthenia Gravis.
so need things can grip easier

That veritas variable burnisher thing is a good waste of 35 quid if you ask me, you don`t need to be that precise, it only takes a few passes freehand and its sorted.

Ollie
I totally disagree, I have the set, holder file holder and variable angle burnisher.
The holder allows you to easily change the flex on the scraper if you want, you can use virtually any plate thickness, there is no heat because of the complete disconnect between you and the burnisher, the burr is the same each sharpening if you use the variable angle burnisher (though it is not required to use the holder) holding the plate flexed and using it is much easier.

It is a tool I debated the need for, once I had it I would buy another if this one got lost, I don’t often need scrapers, I never need to remember the amount of flex needed as it’s so easy to adjust.

TLDR if you use multiple shapes of scraper frequently it is not for you. If you use rectangular, scrapers it is probably excellent. If you have grip problems it’s probably perfect, and maybe the only way you can use one.

@Ollie78 Reason i looked at the holder is have issues with hands/grip esp doing anything repetitively as grip stops working and can't use hands.
Why off for a week in hospital to do tests on breathing and see if have Myasthenia Gravis.
Well, in that case it might be just what you need. It seems that @sometimewoodworker really likes it, so that's a good endorsement at least.

Ollie

I too have the Veritas scraper holder but it gets little used since I find as others have mentioned that the burr angle often isn't optimal and I can get a better cut hand-holding it and flexing to hit the sweet-spot. For sharpening a length of silver steel rod is all you need and that will be way cheaper than most of the commercial burnishers.
Hand scraping is tough on the hands, however if sharpened correctly it takes surprisingly little pressure to make fine shavings off even very gnarly grained wood.
There is lots of advice out there wrt preparation and creating the burr, however in my experience the most difficult and time-consuming aspect is ensuring the scraper edge is flat and square prior to creating the burr, and I find home made jigs and a bench vice are essential aids in achieving this!

I have arthritis in my fingers and so the veritas holder is invaluable. Of course it does only take straight scrapers but can’t have everything!!! I have the variable burnisher as well but it doesn’t get a lot of use as a steel does the job well enough.

There is lots of advice out there wrt preparation and creating the burr, however in my experience the most difficult and time-consuming aspect is ensuring the scraper edge is flat and square prior to creating the burr,
that is where the Veritas file holder shines, with all 3 Veritas tools it becomes an easy job with no re learning required if you leave it a long time between uses.

I think some/many? are missing the point! as the Burr and holder are two separate articles/entities as the holder just holds the blade but also bows it to your taste?
Where as the Burr is down to you which brings me to the other point i was looking/aiming at? Is that with a 150mm blade in holder my thinking is that the variable burnisher would give you a constant Burr rather than if using a rod etc it's dependant on you keeping the angle right as you move across edge!
Plus open to interpretations of "your angle" not the right one?
As to me the sort of uses/jobs you'd be using blade with holder would be something you like/desire/need flat/consistent looking surface not all up and down with more dips n rises than the Footsie 100.
where as the shaped/contoured/moulded shapes you'd use other blades to Accomplish? plus for those you'd use a rod burnisher!.

Hope that helps/makes sense?

Having initially tried freehand scraping, many years ago I invested in the full veritas, holder, burnisher and file set. I find it really useful especially as I don't have to use the scraper that often. It makes the whole file, burnish setup and useage far easier and more comfortable in my opinion. Is it worth the extra few quid? Well that depends on your pockets really. I would say that if you can afford it you will likely not be disappointed.

Well had the kit out other day worked variable burnisher out got a decent hook on blade and away we go.
Holders ok but the two thinner and smaller blades in kit don't work with holder.
Saved my fingers for sure plus easy if you just want to whip some stuff of item as had sanded varnish rubbish off a board then whipped round edge with scraper in a minute.

If you have probs with your hands hand scraper isn’t for you, and the holders as others have said are far too fiddly.

I prefer stanley blades myself, at least for localized small stuff. Easier to bend and far easier to put a burr on it by rubbing it side on across a stone.

Hot on the thumbs though :LOL:

Back