Veritas Small Plow as a beader

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Some months ago, Lee Valley released an upgrade for the Veritas Small Plow that included an improved depth stop and a modification to use the plow as a beading plane.

The modification involved the factory machining a bevel on the skate. I presume that this is to enable the skate to follow inside the path of the narrow land of the bead.

11a_zpsouaiy6ap.jpg

The update to the depth stop provides a reliable grip to its shaft. The original depth stop was apt to slip. Roughing the surface of the shaft helped. My response was to add a slot for a screwdriver, and tighten it up. As seen below, my knob still has the slot. Both plow bodies have the new depth stop ...

12a_zpsxhts4acv.jpg

Lee Valley offered a inexpensive and fairly painless process for those wanting to upgrade their Plows - simply send the basic shell to the factory, and they would machine and return it. Out in the Antipodes, and other non-American lands, this process was not available as the higher shipping costs were a factor. Quite recently, Lee Valley came up with a solution for us, whereby they would simply send out a new, machined body shell to reduce shipping costs both ways.

I was undecided whether I would have the modification done. First of all, I prefer planes that do one thing and one thing well, rather than Swiss Army Knives. I already had a Stanley #45, and rarely use it (it is more interesting to look at). Besides, I have used the beading blades on the #45, and they are only successful on straight grained woods, preferably of the softer type.

Beading with the #45 on quarter grain Tasmanian Oak ..

ANewAngleOnScratchStock_html_52d52e94.jpg

The interlocked grain on the typical Australian hardwoods I work with are really unsuited to a plough-turned-beader. Then there was the set of beading planes I have recently restored for use - another reason why the Small Plow mod was not a good idea. At least they have a closed mouth to hold down the wood.

Most of all, I use scratch stocks and make my own cutters. And another old photo ..

ANewAngleOnScratchStock_html_1e699e34.jpg

However, I was curious, and so I sent off for the new, ubeaut, updated Small Plow, and ordered the beading blades (which are PM-V11 steel).

Plus, I had a cunning idea, a plan to make the Small Plow beader bead like no other beader could bead! Let me tell you about this ...

1a_zpslwl6u6fv.jpg

Step one was to test out the Plow on a scrap of Makore (left over from a recent build). I was interested to see what type of finish I could get using a slightly interlocked grain but one with grain that was mainly predictable.

Pop in a newly-sharpened 3/16" blade (they come 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4"). This is no different to set up than a standard plough blade. Planing with the grain, the finish was crisp and free of defects ..

2a_zps5ic6itb6.jpg

Now I turned the board around and planed against the grain. The result was massive tearout, as expected ..

3a_zpskpmnmkis.jpg

OK, so here is the plan: I would use a Stanley #45 beading blade of the same size as the guinea pig. This is identical in thickness to the Veritas blade, just longer. The extra length means that I cannot use the adjuster, and will need to set the depth of cut by hand. What will be different about this blade is that it will receive a 15 degree backbevel. That will create a 60 degree cutting angle! A high cutting angle of this magnitude no longer requires a mouth to control tearout.

Stanley on the left with the backbevel ...

4a_zps5l1ixhft.jpg

So here we are planing into the grain with the Plow plus backbevelled blade ...

5a_zpszmvhyfbo.jpg

And the finish is pretty good! (alongside the bead you will see the tearout in the board that came from flattening it with a jack plane) ..

7a_zps4kvtngyi.jpg

8a_zpsgyri9nha.jpg

After satisfying myself that the backbevel was a Good Idea, the Veritas blade went the same route. This time I planed both ways ... both with- and against the grain.

The result was outstanding. It is difficult to tell which is which ...

16a_zpsgn7f43ou.jpg

In summing up, based on my small experiment, I think that the modification to the Small Plow looks like it will be worth the time and small cost ... if one also uses the blades with a backbevel. Of course, this advice extends to the #45 as well. The nice thing about this mod is that it is now really just a couple of extra blades. There is nothing to set up. I like it. Try it for yourself.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's ingenious, but I expect that among the readers of UKW the number of people with a Veritas combi is much smaller than the number with some other combi plane. (Stanley, Record, Lewin etc.) I suggest you change the title to "getting better results from any combination plane used for beading" or something similar.

That result is, as you say outstanding - I've never used that type of plane but I can clearly see the benefit of such a modification when following the grain isn't always a possibility.

Thanks Derek.

Due to my slow mind I had never thought to add a back bevel to multi-plane irons to raise the pitch. Thanks for joining the dots!

I have a Record 405 and had never thought of back bevelling, great idea, thanks for sharing

Is the back bevel only on the straight part of the blade? That's how it looks in the picture.

aesmith":1on3u3s7 said:
Is the back bevel only on the straight part of the blade? That's how it looks in the picture.

Yes. That is where the tearout occurs. A high cutting angle there prevents the tearout. You can backbevel the hollow at the baseline with a dowel and sandpaper, but this is not necessary if you set your depth stop to end at the tip of the final thickness. The insides of the bevel are cutting on a skew.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back