The most over hyped groups?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly what we need, more poisonous negativity. It was this or a "Look at what this silly person made out of pallet wood and tried to sell on Etsy" thread.

An underrated thread would have been nicer. If you don't like something, just ignore it.

novocaine":3gregrrr said:
2 real guitarist and the Edge.
he doesn't even know how to play his own songs, it takes Jimmy page 3 seconds to get it down pat, and between him and Jack White they improve it just by playing it well.
Bono is a front man and much like the Edge, take away his effects and he sounds terrible.

I guess what U2 have done is make effects main stream, which has reduced the costs to us mear mortals, including autotune. oh and made a massive amount of money so they can't be that bad I guess. Mr Page wouldn't be doing it if he didn't think the Edge had something, so maybe I'm not giving him enough dues, he's better than me at it too so I can't comment to much.

overrated/overhyped, anything in the mainstream me things. stick Simon Cowell behind it and it's almost guaranteed to be overhyped.

With guitarists, one of the big things is to have a "sound" that is forever recognisable and instantly identifiable as them and no-one else. The Edge has that, however it is arrived at and for that, he will be remembered. He is not a multi-faceted virtuoso, but most famous and great players are not either, he does his thing and does it well. He invented the sound, made it popular and for that he deserves his place in musical history.

It's a bit like Tina Turner and Cher, both can't sing in tune or in time but has a certain quality to their voices that appeals and is unique. Does not make them great singers but it does make them great artists.

cutting42":1p3tb4h0 said:
With guitarists, one of the big things is to have a "sound" that is forever recognisable and instantly identifiable as them and no-one else. The Edge has that, however it is arrived at and for that, he will be remembered. He is not a multi-faceted virtuoso, but most famous and great players are not either, he does his thing and does it well. He invented the sound, made it popular and for that he deserves his place in musical history.

It's a bit like Tina Turner and Cher, both can't sing in tune or in time but has a certain quality to their voices that appeals and is unique. Does not make them great singers but it does make them great artists.

Fair comment. Doesn't mean it isn't all hype though does it? surely thats the very essence of hype, to have made a sound out of nothing which has been pushed by good PR to point at which it is recognisable yet not be talented enough to back up that position. At which point we get to chuck in almost everyone on the musical world. :)

still, in my opinion, he is overhyped. (note, in my opinion)

BearTricks":3b48mpmd said:
Exactly what we need, more poisonous negativity. It was this or a "Look at what this silly person made out of pallet wood and tried to sell on Etsy" thread.

An underrated thread would have been nicer. If you don't like something, just ignore it.

Can't see a post without arguing about it? Don't read it if it offends your sensibilities - which most things seem to. If you don't like something, just ignore it

novocaine":2x1fpkj5 said:
cutting42":2x1fpkj5 said:

Fair comment. Doesn't mean it isn't all hype though does it? surely thats the very essence of hype, to have made a sound out of nothing which has been pushed by good PR to point at which it is recognisable yet not be talented enough to back up that position. At which point we get to chuck in almost everyone on the musical world. :)

I think he hardly gets a mention...

One of the funniest comments from a world great (guitarist) was BB King saying he doesn't do chords - when they collaborated together on a BB King song. So he's in good company. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhupCUUWqo

phil.p":qp7j1do1 said:
BearTricks":qp7j1do1 said:

Don't read it if it offends your sensibilities - which most things seem to.

Am I missing something?

novocaine":28fbz7k8 said:

I do get where you are going and I respect your view, however, all music is "making a sound out of nothing". He was not pumped up with hype in the beginning, U2 were one of the hardest touring bands in the world and grew their following the hard way from the ground up and it was really only after the Joshua Tree that the PR hype kicked in. The Edge style and sound was well established by then so not a function of hype.

cutting42":2bwy0848 said:
phil.p":2bwy0848 said:
Of course some of the best musicians aren't the stars -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjiMN2 ... tml5=False

100% totally agree, Pino is one of my heroes although he has some fame being 1st call for the Who these days.

Certainly - You'd struggle to list famous names he HASN'T backed, now. :D

Aaahh :) 1983 ... a year of beach parties ... the year I first knew swmbo (in the biblical sense) - at a beach party. :D That takes me back there instantly.

A lot of folks juxtapose an artist like say Eric Clapton against Tommy Emmanuel and find Clapton wanting. But they're missing the point which is that at the time he was innovating ie in the late 60's the combination of sounds and/or styles of music were breaking new ground.

You might be forgiven for arguing that it's "hype" to call him a guitar great but then in another sense it's not because he was an originator and for that reason the title is legitimate.

On exactly the same principle, no one one would say Roger Bannister was a useless runner would they? he was the first to break the 4 minute mile but since it got broken it's been done much faster. Should we decry his historical victory in favour of a more modern/better performance? I don't think so :)

Not a group but the luckiest singer alive without doubt is Barry Manilow, he is such a bad singer, he sounds like a pub singer with a clothes peg on his nose whilst someone is squeezing his testicles with mole grips. he is a multi millionaire from music how is this possible, do other people hear differently to me.
My wife often surprises me with concert tickets, she bought tickets for Manilow at the O2 a couple of years ago, we had a massive barney over it and in the end she took a friend, she loved it.

U2, Bono is an pineapple

Latest posts

Back