The most over hyped groups?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not Coldplay or U2. I'd put the Stones and The Who in as overrated. However this probably says more about my taste than the band. All those fans can't be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure i agree with you there. Although it depends what you mean by 'overrated'. Oasis arent everyones cuppa, but they have written some phenomenaly catchy tunes and have inspired an awful lot of people to pick up guitars. Coldplay have also written some damn fine tunes despite their singer bein a bit daft. U2 seem to have lost their way over their last few albums, perhaps buying into and believing their own hype. Bono can be a powerful frontman if he keeps his political mouth closed. The Edge, too is certainly talented and a positive influence on a lot of guitarists, but he does talk w*nk.
Im not sure, though, who i would call overrated, but Kanye West would be high on the list. As would The Proclaimers (only famous coz of one song sung with a Scottish accent), and The Bee Gees.

Adam

Depends what you mean by overrated , just because they don't appeal to you doesn't mean they are overrated.

This is all entirely subjective, ..BUT

As a progressive rock/metal fan. Anything mainstream is pretty much overrated in my opinion. Most of the stuff I listen to no one has ever heard of, and it makes me very sad :(

It's amazing the kind of utter rubbish young people will listen to.

Maybe overhyped might a better description, the sort of band that the media machine bangs on about so much that by the time they do their piece it can't live up to the hyperbole.

I think all 3 fall in to that category, don't get me wrong they are good at what they do but they can't live up to the PR machine that precedes them.

Personally I just don't think you can pin this one down. It's like saying what flavours are worst. (Liver clearly).
Can't stand Bono though. Maybe he's a lovely man in real life. Just the moral grandstanding annoys me. Best story I heard about him, he's on stage (probably earning a little more per hour than the fans who paid for tickets),
and he stands there and starts to slowly clap his hands. He does this for a while then says 'Every time I clap my hands a child in Africa dies.'
Some wag from the audience shouts out 'Well stop doing it then ya evil turnip!'
No idea if it's true but it made me laugh and sums up the man for me. Like I say, maybe he's a top fella in real life. Maybe. :wink:

Ive been to U2 concert (free ticket - wouldn't have paid to go) and amongst the fairly 'ok' set he did the hand clapping thing (or a variation of it). I dont recall that anyone shouted out the retort, but the messahe is still there.
Adam

transatlantic":1lrgtv18 said:
It's amazing the kind of utter rubbish young people will listen to.

'twas ever thus. I imagine the elders of 1920 despaired of young people
and their rubbishy "Jazz".

BugBear

As I read the comments, I realise I should have said over hyped rather than overrated. I'll edit it. I remember working with a chippie who for some reason wouldn't carry adequate kit with him. We were doing maintenance work in a hotel and when someone reported something like a door coming off its hinges, he would go and look at it then say I got to get a pozi screwdriver a minute and wander off. My friend would without fail start to sing I will walk five hundred miles and I will walk five hundred more ... :D
Kanye West, certainly. And no list would be complete without The Spice Girls.

Off course perhaps but pet peeves include..

Coldplay - god awful dung
Any thing x factor related
Adele - miserable cow

I'll stop there cos there's no end to this list :D

That black woman who sang the 'umbrella song' Absolute garbage. she could just sing gobbeldygook and the fans would buy it! :roll:

None of them are really over-hyped or overrated ... just overpaid.

That said, RHCP - The Beatles - rappers 'et al' - Prince..... it's really a rather inexhaustible list.

Claymore":6ymncc0n said:
mailee":6ymncc0n said:
That black woman who sang the 'umbrella song' Absolute garbage. she could just sing gobbeldygook and the fans would buy it! :roll:

Was she called something like Rusty Lee? :wink:

I think this racial stereotyping needs to be reported to the Moderators immediately ... by some namby-pamby over-sensitive soul. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

Anyway, I'm off to listen to my compilation of Snoop Dogg, Pharrell Williams, N.W.A., Tupac, Lil Wayne... and anyone else who used the phrase 'AK-47' in their lyrics. #barcasticsarstard.

Latest posts

Back