The most over hyped groups?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people are choosing their favourite "not" liked band rather than overrated. I mean, RHCP, Prince, Adele, Rolling Stones, Oasis, Beatles, U2 and the Who????? Come on, they are iconic and game-changing artists who have influenced the industry and millions of happy punters and critics. You may not like them personally, I know I certainly don't like them all but they are not overrated or even over hyped IMO.

Boy Bands are almost by definition all about the hype and appealing to teen girls, it has never been about the music and doesn't really pretend to be.

Rap is an interesting genre and has given some of the smartest lyrics ever written for the popular music world. It is a bit love or hate but some rappers are phenomenal, Eminem is probably one of the best ever, musically and lyrically but he does get tarred with the overriding girls, cars and ganster rap label even though he is nothing of the sort. Dr Dre, early 50 Cent, and the early pioneers like Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang and of course Grandmaster Flash are all great and talented artists. Even Kanye (who I personally detest) does his thing very well and is very good at self-publicity but I might grant is over hyped but it is almost ironic.

I have a huge problem with the TV talent show format we currently have, it is a factory for churning through masses of soon to be delusioned wannabe's. They really are not that interested in the final result, just the process and spit the contestants out the other end with very little interest other than maybe a couple of hits then you are done.

Two favourites for bad critical reviews are Coldplay and Nickleback but both bands have truly massive followings and have extremely highly rated live shows. They are both very derivative musically IMO but have made it very accessible and spectacularly popular. I would criticise them both as unoriginal - along with Oasis - but all have both written multiple huge hit songs so are they overrated or overhyped, I say again no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqfXlIq6RE

A little humorous perhaps, but I prefer a time in popular music when I understood the lyrics, the singers could actually hold a tune
and the musicians played their instruments at a very high level. These days I have the feeling that it's all made up in studio post-production.
Or most of it anyway.

cutting42":3uwxb55u said:
I think people are choosing their favourite "not" liked band rather than overrated. I mean, RHCP, Prince, Adele, Rolling Stones, Oasis, Beatles, U2 and the Who?????

Definition of hype...
noun - extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
verb - promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.

Are you saying none of those artists are guilty of overhyping their material?

btw, Adele isn't a group, she's just nicely rounded.

dzj":3cv7echt said:
A little humorous perhaps, but I prefer a time in popular music when I understood the lyrics, the singers could actually hold a tune
and the musicians played their instruments at a very high level.

'twas ever thus.

BugBear (saying it again, for emphasis :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ELpJqa4PaY
2 real guitarist and the Edge.
he doesn't even know how to play his own songs, it takes Jimmy page 3 seconds to get it down pat, and between him and Jack White they improve it just by playing it well.
Bono is a front man and much like the Edge, take away his effects and he sounds terrible.

I guess what U2 have done is make effects main stream, which has reduced the costs to us mear mortals, including autotune. oh and made a massive amount of money so they can't be that bad I guess. Mr Page wouldn't be doing it if he didn't think the Edge had something, so maybe I'm not giving him enough dues, he's better than me at it too so I can't comment to much.

overrated/overhyped, anything in the mainstream me things. stick Simon Cowell behind it and it's almost guaranteed to be overhyped.

novocaine":17c11uoa said:
... take away his effects and he sounds terrible.

Did you know that young man, Jimi Hendrix I believe his name is, actually uses a special box to increase the distortion of his amplifier?

I'm sure if we could hear his guitar playing clearly, it would show just how poor a player he actually is.

BugBear

funny enough I did know that about the gentleman of which you speak. difference being, 1 effect, same effect as Mr Page used too, along with almost every other rock band of the time. cost a fortune too. yet, if you see him play without the effects and your still impressed. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzL7G0jItzU

but hey, he can't be all that, he can't even hold the guitar the right way up. :)

Jimmy Page was doing session work, questioning his technical ability against the Edge's is the old cliche of Apples to Oranges.

The Edge has made his musical mark even if he has used effects as a mask to his limited technical ability. Their bass player Clayton,.......now theres some hype...

Millie Vanilli were way overhyped...

iNewbie":2efuh6ad said:
Jimmy Page was doing session work, questioning his technical ability against the Edge's is the old cliche of Apples to Oranges.

The Edge has made his musical mark even if he has used effects as a mask to his limited technical ability. Their bass player Clayton,.......now there's some hype...

That comment about Clayton reminded me of the answer given to the question - Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world? No, no he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles.

but he was great as Thomas the tank engine. :)
perhaps I can put the notorious B.I.G. in as an overhyped music act. :)
or how about the Gorillas?

phil.p":3vex8kka said:
iNewbie":3vex8kka said:

The Edge has made his musical mark even if he has used effects as a mask to his limited technical ability. Their bass player Clayton,.......now there's some hype...

That comment about Clayton reminded me of the answer given to the question - Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world? No, no he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles.

And Pete Best isn't even acknowleged in the joke!

Its amazing how many people Ringo inspired though, especially the Americans after that Ed Sullivan show.

I've never been a beatles fan but the amount of work (shows) they put in abroad before they made it is staggering.

Rick Asterly. Hyped. :D

Sinitta - should have been shot along with Simon Cowell...

Anyone trying to peddle their wares on a ''Now That's What I Call Music (insert a number from 1 to 1,000,000).
Ditto for 'special occasion' releases - Mother's/Father's/Xmas/Whatever compilations.

OVERHYPED.

Anyone playing a rooftop gig, or playing on an open deck bus to promote an album.

Basically, anyone since the 70's could be accused of over-hyped releases (I blame the media)

NazNomad":1dplk2d8 said:
cutting42":1dplk2d8 said:
I think people are choosing their favourite "not" liked band rather than overrated. I mean, RHCP, Prince, Adele, Rolling Stones, Oasis, Beatles, U2 and the Who?????

Definition of hype...
noun - extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
verb - promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.

Are you saying none of those artists are guilty of overhyping their material?

btw, Adele isn't a group, she's just nicely rounded.

Over-hyped? No I don't, hyped, yes of course. They are all extraordinary artists, they are promoted and arguably over-hyped by some of their fans but I do not personally feel they can be accused themselves. In that particular list the only group which could fall into that category might be Oasis as they certainly had a high opinion of themselves but I always felt it fitted into the Manchester swagger and did not offend. Personally, I preferred Blur anyway being original and non-derivative.

Adele - LOL ;-)

Back