The maths behind cutting these bevels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I'm not making it up. The encyclopedia Britannica was published in the age of enlightenment, 1760 or so, which is when amateur gentlemen scientists and mathematicians first started to describe mathematical principals such as the hyperbolic cosine catenary, the funicular curve, Gaussian geometry came later in the 1800's, and the concept of the architect was invented in the 1700's.

Long before that, master craftsmen were using geometry to design and build the great cathedrals without the use of mathematics.

Okay so,

I experimented today with some scrap, was a bit thicker than my actual piece would be and was very straightforward to do on my own DeWalt TS. Question I have from here is that I lost the skirt from the edges when I cut it to the correct length, what have I missed, angles and everything were the same.

Attachments

• 34D082FE-61CC-4827-A09E-F8E5D86FB985.jpeg
    34D082FE-61CC-4827-A09E-F8E5D86FB985.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 8D9C170B-C8B3-4C57-B0FF-C68DCFDC085F.jpeg
    8D9C170B-C8B3-4C57-B0FF-C68DCFDC085F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
No I'm not making it up. The encyclopedia Britannica was published in the age of enlightenment, 1760 or so, which is when amateur gentlemen scientists and mathematicians first started to describe mathematical principals such as the hyperbolic cosine catenary, the funicular curve, Gaussian geometry came later in the 1800's, and the concept of the architect was invented in the 1700's.

Long before that, master craftsmen were using geometry to design and built the great cathedrals without the use of mathematics.
Yes you are.

Geometry is a a branch of Mathematics. That is the accepted definition.

From Merriam Webster

geometry​

noun

ge·om·e·try jē-ˈä-mə-trē

plural geometries

a
: a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement, properties, and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids

Definition of GEOMETRY

Okay so,

I experimented today with some scrap, was a bit thicker than my actual piece would be and was very straightforward to do on my own DeWalt TS. Question I have from here is that I lost the skirt from the edges when I cut it to the correct length, what have I missed, angles and everything were the same.
It's simpler then you think - you cut too much off the ends. You didn't do everything the same.
It doesn't do to overthink these things!

Dinosaurs were real creatures.

They were only described in about the last two hundred years.

Does that mean that there were no dinosaurs in existence before 1700.

Yes you are.

Geometry is a a branch of Mathematics. That is the accepted definition.

From Merriam Webster

geometry​

noun

ge·om·e·try jē-ˈä-mə-trē

plural geometries

a
: a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement, properties, and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids

Definition of GEOMETRY
I don't use emojis much but....That's quite funny.

I would suggest that you had a look at the mandorla, which has been around for something like 5000 years, it's the root of geometry which is why it's such a powerful religious symbol used in Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and latterly Christianity.

I don't use emojis much but....That's quite funny.

I would suggest that you had a look at the mandorla, which has been around for something like 5000 years, it's the root of geometry which is why it's such a powerful religious symbol used in Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and latterly Christianity.
Do you think there were dinosaurs before 1700.

Okay so,

You've missed the point.... as in, youve lost your thread to an argument based on viewpoint.... you have two choices, join the argument or start a new thread. In a coupke of days time they'll have got to slave labour, the meaning of life and their favourite films 😆🤣
If you want proof, just look at my thread about mortgage advice. I think we got to nearly 800 posts about politics 😁🤣 abandon all hope

Edit to add: you could all answer the mortgage advice here if you want 😉

It's simpler then you think - you cut too much off the ends. You didn't do everything the same.
It doesn't do to overthink these things!
Okay so does that mean the starting piece can’t be too much more than it needs to finish at, length wise?

Okay so does that mean the starting piece can’t be too much more than it needs to finish at, length wise?
As I said earlier, the size of the basic block MUST be exactly the size you specified in your first post : 55 x 24 x 290 - well that is if you want to use the figures I provided for the distance from the saw to the fence. ANY deviation will need a recalculation.

Taking a totally different approach I would actually use a my milling machine rather than a TS, but that isn't what you asked about.

As I said earlier, the size of the basic block MUST be exactly the size you specified in your first post : 55 x 24 x 290 - well that is if you want to use the figures I provided for the distance from the saw to the fence. ANY deviation will need a recalculation.

Taking a totally different approach I would actually use a my milling machine rather than a TS, but that isn't what you asked about.

A milling machine, to cut a bit of wood ?

No wonder people think they need to use loads of maths to do a bit of simple woodwork.

Off topic /

It's practical geometry, not maths, and let's not forget the power of proportion either. The vault I'm building doesn't require any maths or measurements, just a compass, a straightedge and a bit of geometrical savvy.........And.......geometry is art, not maths, before you number based freaks start to try and claim it.

Here's a picture of it so far and I might get my hands on it very soon for a winter of fun in the shed.

View attachment 148035

Those joints in the middle need a bit of a tweak, I wouldn't want to get accused of doing too much rough work.

/ off topic.
Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the sizes, shapes, positions, angles, and dimensions of things.

If you wish.

Addendum: That's a bit like saying Pythagoras invented geometry.

No numbers required, just drawing

View attachment 148106
He didn't and I'm pretty sure no one said that. What he did was to discover some important theorems in the field of geometry and was thus responsible for some major advances in the field of mathematics.

Nice drawing by the way. It nicely shows some mathematical principles. And yes, no numbers required as is the case with the majority of mathematics.

no numbers required as is the case with the majority of mathematics
Yes but all maths is only useful if numbers are ultimately applied. Mathematical concepts are developed from past observations of the real world in order to predict what will (or 'might' in statistical maths) happen in the future. Such concepts provide a framework but need numbers to turn them into reality.
My blood was made to boil recently by that young lady on the box, Prof(even) Hannah Fry asserting that EVERYTHING depends on maths. No, it's the other way round, maths depends on everything, or at least, everything we understand.
Brian

Last edited:
Back