The Axminster "take" on Dado Head Cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOPS. My error. It has a cross cut of 18".
I must have been thinking of the plywood one I made with greater capacity. ;)

That looks OK Signal.
Once you see what it's like it's farly simple to make something similar.
That's what I did with the mitre board. I originally used some spare contiboard with softwood front & back fence & a couple of rebated pieces for my router to slide across.
Later QVC made a bodge up of an order for a compressor & nail gun & sent an excersise bed by mistake. It took a month before they sent the correct order. That bed was double the price of the compressor but was no good to me with my disabilities. lol.
They gave me a discount of £15 on my next order so I got the MAC mitre board for £25 and haven't used QVC since.

This discussion rang a bell (the mitre board, not dado heads :roll: ) and a quick trawl through the archive produced this which may be of interest.

Now can I make a tiny little plea for the survival of British terms in British woodworking? It may be a dado head, but it cuts a housing or trench across the grain. A groove is with the grain. I know it's incredibly anal of me, but I wince every time :oops: Interesting that Trend call their base an offset trenching base; good for them (but save yourself the money and make your own :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

Although I am of the generation taught in feet and inches I wish I was more conversant with the metric system.Working to a base of twelve(inches)1/8ths,1/64ths etc. when we have ten fingers is ridiculous to me.Working things out in tens is so easy I wish my head wasn't stuck in the Imperial age.

Hi Jaymar

jaymar":2pc00rp6 said:
I wish my head wasn't stuck in the Imperial age.

About twenty five years ago I was walking around a loch in Scotland when a German couple asked how far it was to the car park. Instead of saying it's just around the corner, I though I would be a good European and use the metric equivalent of 500yds.

You should hav seen their faces when I told then it was only 500 Kilometres. :oops:

Cheers
Neil

300 miles is quite a walk to pick up the car. :D
I remember when the South African goverment mad it illegal to use imperial measurements. 1/2" whitworth (BSW) bolts had to be sold as 12.7mm BSW. My father was drawing the plans for an extension & didnt use the 3 standard measures of millimetre, metre & kilometre. He did, as so many are taught in school, & used centimetres. This resulted in mm,cm & m used in the same measurements. He inserted decimal points in 2 places to seperate the 3 measures he used i.e. 6.526.229. I had to go over everything to change it all to metres & millimetres.

Alf, many complain about 'rabbets' for rebates & 'faucets' for taps. These were the original words used in English & it was us who changed them. Both words are Middle English derived from French words. The Americans still use the original English. A look in the Oxford dictionary shows that.

I also learned imperial at school, even did some engineering later and got used to thou's as well. In the last ten years or so when I've been using tools calibrated in metric only, and working on kitchens where metric is the norm, I've become used to metric and shudder at the thought of going back to the old stuff.
John

Dewy":2pgpikgb said:
Alf, many complain about 'rabbets' for rebates & 'faucets' for taps. These were the original words used in English & it was us who changed them. Both words are Middle English derived from French words. The Americans still use the original English. A look in the Oxford dictionary shows that.

Dewy,

That's beside the point; we've moved on. Just 'cos the 'Murricans can't get out of the 17th century, doesn't mean to say we have to get back in there with them. :wink: English is an evolving language, not a regressive one, which is why it's been so sucessful. (Thank goodness, I'm hopeless at languages...)

Cheers, Alf

Hi Tony

Tony":wakjfgb7 said:
Freud Stacked Dado head cutters are available from MachineMart for £82.19

They cannot be fitted to the DW720 without making adjustments to the saw. The link I posted was for the DW cutters.

Cheers
Neil

Ah :eek: .
I completely lost track of that with 3 pages of posts. Still, it must be useful for some member's saws.
Norm and hios wobble dado head cutter was one of my early inspirations 8)

Does anyone with the DW720 and a table saw find they use the 720 for many of its various uses. What about radial arm saw users in general - could you live without it? What's your *main* use for this tool??

Hi Aragorn

I have a DW720 RAS and a table saw (a Maxi 26 Universal actually).
The 720 normally gets used for cross cuts only - I have NEVER used it in ripping mode - much to dodgy :evil: However I do have a Freud dado set that I occasionally use with the 720. This is mainly when I need multiple trench cuts (The dado set uses a keyed adapter boss to ensure it does not unwind when the motor is switched off) It takes about 10 minutes to set up and remove the dado set. For one or two trenches, I would normally use my router table. 8)

Because of space, the Maxi is normally set up for rip cutting with rip fence, and do not leave the sliding table needed for cross cutting fitted.

Thus I can easily switch from cross cutting to rip cutting between the two machines: the set up works very well for me.

Now I have got a 720, I would not want to do without it although in retrospect, I would now prefer a good mitre saw with trenching such as the EB KGS303 - nearly the same saw capacity and less space.

HTH

John

As a DW720 owner without a table saw, I HAVE used the RAS in ripping mode, with no problems at all...but I'm VERY careful with it - don't stand in the path of potential kickback, all the guards in place and so on. Not used the mitre capability, since I prefer to use a fence to set the mitre angle rather than move the arm of the RAS.

The RAS was the first serious bit of woodworking machinery I ever bought (in fact, it's about the only big bit of tailed beast I own). In retrospect, and if I knew then what I do now, I'd probably opt for a decent bandsaw (one of the mid-range Startrites maybe) instead.

Back